Travel FAMILY resorts in Mexico(RIVIERA MAYA)...DREAMS VS AZUL BEACH?

Beach Bum

O.G.
Feb 17, 2006
Ive narrowed my 2 fave places but I could still change it..sigh
I Like DREAMS Riviera and AZUL BEACH for all inclusive....Azul is nicest but i wonder if there is enough kids activities?
ANYONE been to either resort????or can u recommend a family friendly one for January-ish.I have a 2 yr old and an older one to entertain..so kids activities are KEY!
Thanks!

Beach Bum...will write you more tomorrow...heading to bed now as I'm beat...but will say that Dreams is a good fit for you. As I do this for a living I tend to stay off the travel threads, but this one caught my eye and I so much Mexico I can do it in my sleep...(which I'm off to get some of.) LOL, BTW, I do like the beach at Dreams Tulum better than Riveria though. :smile: Send me a PM with whatever questions you have and I can help you out!

^THanks so much!My friend (also a travel agent)swears that AZUL BEach is better.I was all set on Dreams before....LOL
im just having trouble gettting a suite with a seprate room for kids.....I dont want them on top of us in one room...(rooms r small...even in suites!)
Im also looking for MAJOR activities for kids ..not much for an almost 3 yr old in Azul.
I saw places with built in water parks but know nothing about them....any advice would be AWESOME!

I've been to both..
hands down Azul is MUCH better..
more peaceful..beautiful hotel, nice rooms etc..
Dreams was crowded, noisey..
this isn't a vacation.
there's no comparison.
NOTE..Dreams has a great photographer..
very reasonable and a sweetheart.
We got great great horseback riding shots.
If you'd like his name, I can track it down, or just ask
the employees..his desk in near one of the pools.

BUT, if you have a child, there may be more to to at Dreams.
However, you can sign up for activities all along the beach and at
other hotels..

Be prepared to be bombarded with time share BS at both places..
Before checking into Azul, they send you over to a timeshare area
to get 'information about the hotel'..
only to meet with a time share agent..
the agent get snippy when I told her we weren't interested
2 sentences into her selling speech..

At Dreams, when we arrived, we asked valet where the checkin desk
was and he pointed to a time share desk..
the valet got an earful from me for doing this..

We booked both places through TravelZoo and got great deals.
Also check out Trip Advisor for more info..

I love Los Cabos! Have fun.

Last edited:
Wow....cool!
My sister recommended some place called moon palace too.it has a family suite( separate kids rooms r a godsend! Lmao) ...so that has also caught my interest...anyone been there?

Wow....cool!
My sister recommended some place called moon palace too.it has a family suite( separate kids rooms r a godsend! Lmao) ...so that has also caught my interest...anyone been there?

I LOVED moon palace... so much we're going back next year. :smile:

Moon palace is great, there is also a golf course which is perfect for the men, the rooms were big enough, the sea did have that "algae" smell but u really get used to it.

Also, the "Resort dollars" were OK for the excursions but I LOVED spending them at the spa (they give u a $300 max to spend which translates into a 2-3 hour massage/spa for a couple)

not sure about kids activities as I don't have any kids but we are taking our one year old niece next year with us. In fact, the whole family is going over there (meaning my parents, us, and the baby)

xo

moon palace is HUGE. Basically you have 3 lobbies, but u can move around them in inter lobby shuttles. Also, if you pay the "golf cart" driver $1 he will take u without having to wait.

I liked it because it was huge, and because the side I stayed at was less noisy and I could go to the noisier/fun part if I needed. Also, I didn't like the rooms at the same building as the lobby and the wifi signal wasn't as strong. It was 4 families during that trip so I got to see the room. Can't remember very well now but I believe I stayed at nizuc and the noisier part was called sunrise.

the cafe at the golf club house, also where the spa is located, was lovely for a quiet lunch.

I also loved the restaurant next to the pool area at the bigger lobby area :smile:

PS: there are better beaches... I did enjoy the quiet beach at moon palace, and it was still fun for jet skiing. I stayed more at the pool though