Fall eBay Seller Update - Sellers bendover Now Please

I think that if you print a shipping label and the status subsequently updates as shipped, that will count as shipped, without an acceptance scan.

From reading this article, I actually do like the changes eBay has made to make opening a case less easy. Overall however, the new defect system is way too harsh. On August 20th, I will drop from top rated due to the system retroactively examining my cases. I was told that on August 19th I could call to dispute some of the new "defects" and have them removed to regain my status, as so many cases began with "I didn't mean to open a case!" or were for item not received when a notice was left etc etc. I'm not sure I believe the representative though, as I can't imagine they expect everyone to call on the 19th.

I have heard of worse changes eBay is looking to make. For example, they stated intentions for implementing a new return policy for the holiday season that would require purchases made in November to have an extended return policy all the way up to January 31st (in order to be top rated). I read this in one of their newsletters months ago and have not read about it since, however I'm sure it will be a little while before they officially announce holiday season selling expectations. Overall, eBay has been struggling with sales lately and seems to be doing whatever they can to get buyers, at the cost of sellers.

I think that if you print a shipping label and the status subsequently updates as shipped, that will count as shipped, without an acceptance scan.

From reading this article, I actually do like the changes eBay has made to make opening a case less easy. Overall however, the new defect system is way too harsh. On August 20th, I will drop from top rated due to the system retroactively examining my cases. I was told that on August 19th I could call to dispute some of the new "defects" and have them removed to regain my status, as so many cases began with "I didn't mean to open a case!" or were for item not received when a notice was left etc etc. I'm not sure I believe the representative though, as I can't imagine they expect everyone to call on the 19th.

I have heard of worse changes eBay is looking to make. For example, they stated intentions for implementing a new return policy for the holiday season that would require purchases made in November to have an extended return policy all the way up to January 31st (in order to be top rated). I read this in one of their newsletters months ago and have not read about it since, however I'm sure it will be a little while before they officially announce holiday season selling expectations. Overall, eBay has been struggling with sales lately and seems to be doing whatever they can to get buyers, at the cost of sellers.
i'm in the exact same situation with top rated. i've been top rated for over a year but with the new changes they've made it pretty much impossible, especially when it's so easy to open a case. they've probably made it impossible on purpose so they don't have to give the discount on selling fees though. the holiday return policy is ridiculous, it means someone can use the item for that long (since i already sell used items), then return it!

I think the forced managed returns is the last straw for me. I've already been selling most of my stuff elsewhere due to all the problem buyers on eBay but this really pisses me off. I'm a TRS and PS and still eligible for TRS under the new policy going into effect but apparently they still don't care what I think.

Oh, and the holiday returns is beyond insulting.

That blows. Luckily I'm selling my last item on eBay this week, after this I am done for good. I'll still keep my account for when I need to buy. I'm not going to risk selling again and have a problematic buyer trying to hassle me for a return. Sad, because eBay is the only place I can turn to when it comes to selling things... I don't trust other places especially Bonanza (the staff there is beyond terrible and it's too slow).

Oh well, worst comes to worst I'll just sell it at a local consignment store. I'm fine with that.

Another punch in the gut....I have decided to let this be the big shove that pushes me to do something different, a goal for 2015. I do not accept returns right now so after next year when its mandatory I will only be listing items under $20 on ebay then if I get a dumb customer I will know that I am only invested a small amount. My higher dollar items will no longer be on ebay. Happy trails to me!

I just imported my listings to Bonz...I know it will be super slow but other than the FB groups which are slow right now and having to deal with members who are so flaky right now I dont know where else to sell and get the funds needed.

eBay is not the only place where scammers use Paypal to play the dirty game. Google paypal complaints; there are hundreds if not thousands of similar stories. Short version is the buyer wins any dispute. Providing pics to show the condition of the item doesn't matter; nothing matters. My experience was not on eBay and I am not a professional reseller or I would have known this game.

As if the papal debacle wasn't enough, the next move was to trash my feedback, which btw my comments were stricken and theirs allowed to remain. I never thought I would recommend using a reputable reseller but it is a way to remove yourself from those who know the paypal game. There are alternatives to PayPal. You might want to google the other party in the transaction if you are not using a reseller. Maybe you decide doing biz with them is not a good idea. Wish I had known then what I know now!

Another punch in the gut....I have decided to let this be the big shove that pushes me to do something different, a goal for 2015. I do not accept returns right now so after next year when its mandatory I will only be listing items under $20 on ebay then if I get a dumb customer I will know that I am only invested a small amount. My higher dollar items will no longer be on ebay. Happy trails to me!

Why do you say that after next year, accepting returns will be mandatory?

From what I read in Op's link: " ...all sellers who offer returns must offer eBay's managed returns, also known as hassle-free returns, by the 2015 holiday season. That means buyers will be able to return an item for any reason. Sellers will still have the option of not accepting returns at all."

Why do you say that after next year, accepting returns will be mandatory?

From what I read in Op's link: " ...all sellers who offer returns must offer eBay's managed returns, also known as hassle-free returns, by the 2015 holiday season. That means buyers will be able to return an item for any reason. Sellers will still have the option of not accepting returns at all."

You're right, I read way too fast, it is mandatory to use hassle-free returns by that date. Sorry for any confusion.

I am also selling off what I have right now and then I'm done.

Wow. I didn't know that when a buyer asks a question after the sale that it counts as a defect against me! What?! I have had my last four buyers ask me questions after their sales which had nothing at all to do with any fault of my own! One thought the color was darker than she expected. The other changed her mind about the purchase entirely and so I chased down the already mailed package to cancel her sale and issue an immediate refund on an item which was no returns to begin with. Another asked me to lower her shipping cost, which was no problem, but then she never paid and I closed the NPB dispute yesterday. And today my buyer asked me to ship to an address different than the one she has on her eBay account after the sale was complete and the item shipped. And I get the defects for these messages? I am way over eBay. Not only have all of my recent buyers been tough, but its way too stressful now. I am taking down my expensive listings now. How does eBay expect to have any sellers left? Who would be willing to put up with this nonsense? Thank you so much for the topic, Noshoepolish! And thank you other posters for your input and thoughts too!

Just got off the phone with eBay to try to get some defects removed and am beyond frustrated. All of their representatives have different information, they are completely impossible to speak to. What is most frustrating to me about this new system is that they are retroactively punishing sellers for cases opened a year ago. That is too crazy to me. Apparently if you have sold 400 items in the past three months you are not affected by this. Mind you, they could be 400 items selling each for $1 dollar. Pretty difficult to reach for people selling high end items.