Fakes that don't look fake???

I bought a fake from a very reputable reseller and Lee at purseforum and another authenticator caught it - but both of then said it was very very subtle. It smelled like the other bags I have bought from the store. Usually when the ladies here spot a fake they immediately say 'FAKE!' because they can spot them from a mile away. But this was was like A++++ and I paid a lot for it too! Luckily I got my money back.

I had an acquaintance who bought like 5 bags for about $300ish each from a 'back-room' place. It thought they had to be fake for sure. But she had then authenticated with Authenticate4U and we both looked at them and they sure as hell looked real. Later, we discovered that the place was busted for stolen goods. So they were real, just hot.

There's a small jewelry/knick-knack store in Little Italy by my favorite pizza place that I've been in a couple of times. They have the pashmina scarves, bags, look-a-like Pandora bracelets and once when I was there I saw an Hermes dust bag on the floor. When I asked about it they opened the door to their "bathroom" and it was literally wall to wall with (I believe) counterfeit bags. Anything you want, they got: Birkins, Boy Chanel, etc.

I picked up a Tivoli GM just to inspect it and everything was spot-on to my Speedy: canvas color, zipper quality, stamping, etc. The guy working said that it was a "really good fake; LV makes a good bag but they make an even better fake." Wondering if any of it was stolen? I wouldn't be surprised if it was, didn't have time to check anything else and I haven't been bag since. Maybe next time (if I ever want to go back) I'll pick up a Birkin and take a look at one of those..

Oh yes I have done my strolls through Chinatown for the food though my fav Chinese restaurant the Peking Duck over on Mott street its delicious if you ever find yourself in Chinatown again. On my way there I have all kinds of people trying to pull me into the back rooms of stores to sell all kinds of counterfeit stuff I think they see my LV and assume im down there for that but I just want my wonton soup.

Lol! I love wonton soup ♡

I have never seen a "perfect fake" but I have seen many excellent counterfeit bags. The big difference sometimes is in the craftsmanship (which can only be scrutinized up close) and the way the item wears... Most fakes break down in hideous ways.

Honestly, I m not too worried about fake handbags since I purchase from the boutique. I m worried about the epidemic counterfeiting problem we have: everything from car parts to medication is counterfeited. That's scary!!!

Exactly!!!! It's (imo) kind of devaluing the brand too. Dupes that look real idk... maybe that's just me.

I bought a fake from a very reputable reseller and Lee at purseforum and another authenticator caught it - but both of then said it was very very subtle. It smelled like the other bags I have bought from the store. Usually when the ladies here spot a fake they immediately say 'FAKE!' because they can spot them from a mile away. But this was was like A++++ and I paid a lot for it too! Luckily I got my money back.

I had an acquaintance who bought like 5 bags for about $300ish each from a 'back-room' place. It thought they had to be fake for sure. But she had then authenticated with Authenticate4U and we both looked at them and they sure as hell looked real. Later, we discovered that the place was busted for stolen goods. So they were real, just hot.

Omg is that luck or what? Unfortunate that they were stolen goods /:

I might have been fooled in the streets but never up close (well I think :P ).
The best way to be sure is to get everything in store. Plus, nothing beats a great purchasing experience for me, it is also part of the appeal.

But then again the counterfeit industry copies everything ! I've recently seen a documentary with a fake Italian tomato sauce ! :amazed:

I know! I'm scared, I am purchasing from ebay. /: I looked on here on how to authenticate and watched videos, compared pictures from how many stitches are on the leather, I mean I think I did pretty damn well.... I'm going to post here when it arrives. If not Idk what I'm gonna do with the bags /:

I watched a documentary about fakes. I thought it was going to be all about handbags. Turned out it was mostly about car parts (like your brakes) and medications (filled with whatever) usually sold through "Canadian" online pharmacies.

When someone tells you that it's no big deal to buy fake handbags tell them that the same people selling fake handbags are also selling things like fake car breaks, fake airplane parts. They're creating demand of an entire industry.

Oh heck, there are even counterfeit eggs in China. Eggs! I mean, how hard or expensive is it to let a chicken naturally lay one? Oh well, some people would try to sell you your own hand if they thought they could.
I've seen the "classic" Chinese fakes that most of us are familiar with, but I've also seen exceptionally good counterfeits as well. My friend has a "Speedy" and we put hers and mine side by side and the only tell was the stamping which wasn't as deep and the "O" was a little off. The colour of the thread was spot on, the handles are the same length/drop, the glazing is a match, the leather developed a patina, and the bag was stamped as MIU. She's used it almost everyday since she got it almost 4 years ago and I personally think it's holding up better than some authentic LV's. I would have never second-guessed it except that she confessed to it being a fake.

Have you seen the process of making a fake egg??? Like you said, getting a chicken to do its thing is so much easier than using all of these chemicals to make that fake egg. In Australia, there is this round where fake drugs (I am talking about the hard stuff like cocaine or meth) is being shipped in from surprise, surprise China because it is undetectable when crossing borders as well as being cheaper. In all honesty I'd rather buy counterfeit items vs. counterfeit food or drugs or anything of that sort as it won't affect my health. I think there has been quite a few 60 Minute reports on these epidemics.

Have you seen the process of making a fake egg??? Like you said, getting a chicken to do its thing is so much easier than using all of these chemicals to make that fake egg.

It's much cheaper to make fake food, unfortunately. I watched a documentary that showed fake fruit and veg as well. I was actually lost for words. Apples and oranges that looked so real and tasty but made in a vat full of chemicals.

I've had a few jobs dealing with the problem of fake meds. It's shocking how many countries receive shipments full of fake medication, sometimes life-saving stuff. I don't know how the people running these operations sleep at night knowing they're putting people's lives at risk.

I might have been fooled in the streets but never up close (well I think :P ).
The best way to be sure is to get everything in store. Plus, nothing beats a great purchasing experience for me, it is also part of the appeal.

But then again the counterfeit industry copies everything ! I've recently seen a documentary with a fake Italian tomato sauce ! :amazed:

Hello AlexLeenh, do you remember the name of the documentary ? I'd like to find it on Youtube. Thank you.

There was a purse forum member who compared an authentic LV totally and a very good fake LV totally on YouTube. I think her name was BJTaylor? I'll look for the link later. The scary thing was the fake was so spot on, that it was difficult to tell which handbag was genuine.

Here's the link.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen the process of making a fake egg??? Like you said, getting a chicken to do its thing is so much easier than using all of these chemicals to make that fake egg. In Australia, there is this round where fake drugs (I am talking about the hard stuff like cocaine or meth) is being shipped in from surprise, surprise China because it is undetectable when crossing borders as well as being cheaper. In all honesty I'd rather buy counterfeit items vs. counterfeit food or drugs or anything of that sort as it won't affect my health. I think there has been quite a few 60 Minute reports on these epidemics.
Have you seen the amount of heavy metals and toxic chemicals in some of those fakes?:shocked: I remember reading an article or three a long while back that described how some of these counterfeiters in China were intentionally adding lead to the lining of the bag in order to increase the weight and make it feel/hang more like an authentic. The plastics, pleather, and leather can also contain poisonous chemicals and known carcinogens.

I only buy groceries at Whole Foods and LV from LV. I :angel: that keeps me alive a few more years. Oh by the way. I just saw this emoji. Happy Fall !! :spiderweb:

There was a purse forum member who compared an authentic LV totally and a very good fake LV totally on YouTube. I think her name was BJTaylor? I'll look for the link later. The scary thing was the fake was so spot on, that it was difficult to tell which handbag was genuine.

Here's the link.

x

Omg. Well bag A was obvious fake by how slouchy it was but when she started comparing the pattern, the thread count, GEEZE! Pretty damn good replica and that's SCARY

Last edited by a moderator: