Fakes at yardsales and people say they are real!

I remember being completely clueless about which bags LV had made and which they hadn't, especially because a lot of the lower end brands make so many different styles that you can't definitely know what was made and what wasn't, so when I would see a bag that now would scream "FAKE!!" to me I would just think "Oh it must be a really unique one!".

And that's how I learned to do research :yes:

^ How rude!

I would never use a fake designer bag - knowing where they come from. I'd rather use my real LVs or a no-name brand that's 'real'.... but not everyone's like that. Oh well, each to their own.

it always shocks me that people actually believe stories like:
1) these bags are made in the same factories as the real ones...so they're as good as real

2)they are stolen from the factories by employees that don't get paid enought, so they are making extra money by selling "real" bags

3)you can buy a real LV/Gucci/Burberry off a cart in a mall?????

I tell them the only place you can be sure to buy a real bag is at the actual boutique ! I guess people are just being hopeful that they too have a real LV bag , but they got it for a fraction of the price....????

Some (very few) are out of it and really think they are buying auth online or on the streetcorner for rock bottom prices. They don't understand LV is very exclusive and only sold in its own stores or leased dept store spaces, they think it's like other brands which you can buy auth merch online or heavily discounted (seconds, outlets, TJ maxx, etc.). Others know they are buying fake and seek that out, they want the look but don't want to pay the price. They'd rather buy the $50 fake than the $1200+ original, to them it is the same or close enough. They are not into brands or handbags the way tpf'ers are, they aren't looking at the details and even if they did they just don't care. It's like buying a purse at Macy's to them, only it looks more designer and expensive (to them) than the "inspired" ones brands like Nine West/Guess/etc make, while costing about the same...

DreamingBeauty, I think this explanation of yours is the SMARTEST thing I have read on tpf in any thread in any forum in the whole time I've been here (like at least a year or 2 or 3...) :tup: And, it applies to SO many discussions here about comments and rudeness and carrying fakes, etc. You didn't blame anyone, you didn't insult anyone, you just simply explained the situation in plain, understandable terms. Wonderful! Thank you! BRAVA!!!

I went to London Fashion Weekend and saw a "vintage" stand, and they had fake LV there, even with the hanging tags. I didn't have the guts to say anything though, but was ever so surprised.

My cousin bought a fake Chanel at a Goodwill and she believes it's real! I guess there are people out there who just want to believe so badly that they got a good deal!

I also used to work with a guy who bought a fake Coach in a parking lot somewhere. It came with a Macy's receipt and all...worst part is he passed it off to his wife as a fake. It was her Christmas gift!:tdown:

DreamingBeauty, I think this explanation of yours is the SMARTEST thing I have read on tpf in any thread in any forum in the whole time I've been here (like at least a year or 2 or 3...) :tup: And, it applies to SO many discussions here about comments and rudeness and carrying fakes, etc. You didn't blame anyone, you didn't insult anyone, you just simply explained the situation in plain, understandable terms. Wonderful! Thank you! BRAVA!!!

Aww, thanks Beth, that is so nice to hear! I am fairly new to this forum but you have all been so nice! It's great to talk to others that love and understand designer handbags as much as I do! :heart:

There are some people out there who are totally clueless when it comes to knowing a fake. I honestly think some of these people think these purses ARE real which is scary. There are still a lot of smaller towns that the only time they even come close to seeing a designer bag is when it is a fake one. So unless they have someone to help them or get on the internet they don't know the difference.

To make matters worse the fakes are now complete with their own authenticity cards which seals the deal for a lot of those who don't know any better. Authenticity cards? Now that's gotta be real yall! :nuts:
There are also those who think they know authentic when they see it, but do not! I was selling two classic Coach bags at my garage sale last summer, and this woman swore to me that they were not authentic and she could tell because they were not lined...they were leather Coach bags from the 90's, they should not be lined! She went on and on, comparing them to her bag....her FAKE bag:cursing:!