FAKE PayPal Email - PayPal Users Read!!

Bunkie

Jan 16, 2007
Someone is sending a spoof email to get users' PayPal information. You know how dangerous this gets.

The subject of the email is "Notification of Limited Account Access" which will obviously get your attention.

The text follows, along with the usual PayPal letterhead. However, the link it asks you to click on is a fake PayPal site. Beware.

Dear PayPal Client,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account. We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.
If this procedure is not completed until 15-th of January 2007, we will be forced to suspend your account indefinitetly. Thank you for your cooperation with us as we try hard to ensure your account privacy. If you whant to resolve this issue now you can do so by clicking the hyperlink below :

We encourage you to restore full access as soon as possible
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=login-run

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

Whenever I get any of those messages I immediately forward them to [email protected] Then I log onto my Paypal account and see if there are any messages. I would NEVER do anything that requires a link. If I need to do something in Paypal I will log on.

Both eBay and PayPal know my name, so when I get emails that say "PayPal Client" or "eBay User" etc. I completely ignore them.

Even when I get what I think are legitimate emails from eBay or PayPal I go to my account and view the emails from there rather than responding to any emails.

I got the same email. I work in internet security and I see this stuff all the time, but I had to look carefully at this one - they are getting really good at making spoof emails look official.

Cindi has it right - do not click on anything suspicious, and forward it on to [email protected]. They confirmed that the email I recieved was indeed a scam.