Fake keychains....

starr4

O.G.
Jan 2, 2009
I'm still fairly new here, and I post occasionally, I totally love coming to this site a few times during the day and catching up on everyone's awesome finds!!! I was just reading some post and not sure if this was ever discussed, but is there a way to tell if a Coach keychain is a fake??? I live in NYC, so basically Bleeker street is filled with fakes, even Coach jewelry and keychains... . I know not to purchase from there....but what is the secret to telling the difference, just wondering on a rainy Sunday New York morning. Thanks

:tpfrox:

I'm not an expert on keychains BUT I'm expert on shopping on Bleecker Steet and Canal Street in NYC. I'm a fellow New Yorker and I love buying pretty rings and jewelry on Canal St...no replicas though- don't believe in them of course.

The only thing that I've noticed is that: They (as in NYC sellers) have keychains that Coach has never even produced, the material feels and looks cheap and lastly the little handtag that the keychains Coach has are either missing from these unauthentic keychains or the Coach logo isn't centered on the actual handtag.

I hope that helps...I can't wait for it to be nice out so I can take a train into Manhattan to go shopping. I LOVE NEW YORK IN THE SPRING!!!

The only thing that I've noticed is that: They (as in NYC sellers) have keychains that Coach has never even produced, the material feels and looks cheap and lastly the little handtag that the keychains Coach has are either missing from these unauthentic keychains or the Coach logo isn't centered on the actual handtag.

ITA. I don't know about anyone else but if I see something and the remote idea that might be fake crosses my mind I don't buy it. I always follow my gut :P I've seen fake keychains on ebay, they look fake if you KWIM.

I bought one from ebay once without knowing it was fake. It was a gift for my best friend. The keychain had a lot of little penguins WITHOUT eyes...thats how I knew. It depends on each keychain I guess.

I returned it and got my money back. I wouldn't buy fake for me and needless to say I wouldn't gift it either. I never give gifts I wouldn't wear myself (that's the rule).

I have been burned on ebay with rwo "authentic" keychains. They came in a whire and brown box and had the fake barcode and numbers on them. They did not last well and I ended up losing them anyways. I could not return them and I was not educated in coach keyrings to know any better. Just post a picture of the item on the authenticate this thread and see what anyone else says. :tpfrox:

A note too that Coach doesn't make keychains like Disney characters, Hello Kitty, Betty Boop or characters that are trademarked to someone else. I agree that if you aren't sure about something, post it on the "Authenticate This" thread. Lots of knowledgable people there!

There are some close fakes too. I've seen some leather Koi Fish that were almost perfect and one of the Legacy Stripe Valet Turnlock keychains that had the wrong hantag but otherwise would have fooled just about anyone. It's always best to ask here first but there are a few sellers on Ebay who I'd trust, like Horseblock, Luisang, and TheBargainPrincess, they always sell genuine Coach.

Most of the inexpensive 5-charm metal ones are fake and the metal and enamels or paints are probably loaded with lead as well. I really hope that women who bought those cheap things don't let their kids play with them or chew on them.

Most fake Coach keychains will come in a fake Coach box with a fake Coach sticker on the side of the box that has the fake serial code with the word PAVEFOB. If you ever see a Coach box with the word Pave Fob on it, it's fake.
Plus, a lot of fake Coach keychains don't have Coach stamped into the back side of the charms but, some do so, this isn't a sure way to tell.

Your best bet is to either buy from an authorized Coach dealer and if you are buying online then, post the link or pictures on the authenticate this Coach section here in the forum and have the ladies there authenticate it for you before you buy it.

There are some close fakes too. I've seen some leather Koi Fish that were almost perfect and one of the Legacy Stripe Valet Turnlock keychains that had the wrong hantag but otherwise would have fooled just about anyone. It's always best to ask here first but there are a few sellers on Ebay who I'd trust, like Horseblock, Luisang, and TheBargainPrincess, they always sell genuine Coach.

Most of the inexpensive 5-charm metal ones are fake and the metal and enamels or paints are probably loaded with lead as well. I really hope that women who bought those cheap things don't let their kids play with them or chew on them.

Very good point.

Thanks everyone!! Great info on the fakes, I had never thought about the paint on the key chains!!! Especially if they are fake, they're probably loaded with lead.. I never let any of my boys chew on my key chains, I just thought it was nasty!!! I hope I didn't offend anyone because I do see alot of moms letting babies chew on them ... YUCK!!!

Another thing to look for (in person) is the thickness of the charms and the weight. I was shocked the first time I went to my outlet and realized just how thin the charms are on the auth Coach keychains. I usually see the fake one's and the thickness of the charms is closer to the thickness of maybe a penny. Coach auth keychains are MUCH thinner!!!!