Fake/inspired bags-would you buy?

There's nothing wrong with anyone buying inspired bags. I don't think those are the indications of someone not having $$, people might/just have different needs /wants and priorities. My sister's income is very high, but she doesn't understand my huge spending on purses/bags even though she can certainly afford any or even multiples of them without having to save up. She would spurge on five-star-hotels and business-class flights whenever she travels (all the time), would collect crystal and buy top-quality diamonds.

Many people buy inpired designer shoes as well. There are knock-offs of Bruges & Christian Louboutin shoes everywhere now: Stuart Weitzman (slingback is $275/pair), Steve Madden, Bebe, Aldo, Jessica Simpson, Urban Outfitters, etc. It's a matter of whether someone's willing to shell out $500+ on a pair of shoes. That's another topic.

I believe we are all here to share our love for handbags (premium brand names or not). I hope people are not judged based on how they want/choose to spend their $$. It's their choice to make and really none of our business.

I would NEVER knowingly carry a fake LV! I think that just about anyone who has the LV addiction that we do has had some ebay horror stories in the beginning of our "careers". Whenever I even have the slightest question of authenticity, I check with some of my boardies for their input. They've saved me from some disasters.

I would never knowingly buy a fake. I bought a fake cb retro once and was fortunate that the seller refunded my money. My mom once bought a birkin inspired bag, it's exactly like a birkin but minus the stamps. She bought it at one of the store that carried Italian made leather bags. The price wasn't that cheap either, i think it was around 500 bucks or so. I still have mix feelings about fake vs. inspired. Personally, taking my mom's "birkin" for example, it's no different than a fake one, this one just doesn't have the Hermes stamps, but the design itself was copied inch by inch from Hermes.

No way on fakes - meaning those bags that copy trademarked logos, hardware, etc and attempt to make the bag appear as if it were the real thing. The people who make or sell these bags are acting unlawfully. Buying the bags simply fuels the illegal market. I have seen several articles that some of the money spent on these bags has been traced to funding for terrorist activities. I won't participate.

Besides, there are plenty of beautiful bags out there in my price range that don't attempt to steal the trademarks of others. They are beautiful for their lines, designs and high-quality leather.

I have no problem whatsoever with "inspired" bags, if you are referring to high-quality bags that are shaped similarly to more expensive bags. I don't own any, but some of the "inspired" bags at pierotucci.com are quite beautiful.

Nishi621 said:
Well-because some people like the style of certain bags/designers, but, do not make the kind of money to afford a $600, $700, $900 bag

Just to clarify-I was speaking of inspired bags above.

BTW-didn't we used to be able to edit our posts?

Nishi621, you can't edit your own posts after a certain time limit (say 1 hour).

I've no problem at all with inspired bags. However, as mentioned by IndyCat, there are some "non-designer" lines with beautiful bags. Personally, I prefer the look of some of these bags to the LVs, Guccis, Fendis etc. :biggrin:

parfaitamour said:
DSC09487.jpg

I had my bag handmade for me, with buttersoft suede lining, and no labels/stamps to claim it`s Chloe.
I love satchel bags, and I can afford the real deal, but I would rather have something made to a high quality for less money. If I change my mind in a month then I will feel better about it !

I also have Lush bags, for the battering my bags get with small children in tow, real designer bags would be daft !!

The absence of labels or stamps or logoes does not necessarily exempt a bag from violating copyright laws or from being considered a counterfeit. Many designs/design elements are also copyrighted. If there is a possibility one bag might be mistaken for a specific bag, design houses may also sue.

I think that there are enough cute bags that are not designer for people to carry and love. I think it's pretty awful for the designers to create beautiful handbags, jewellery, shoes, etc and be ripped off. I *don't* think it's okay to make a handbag that looks identical to the Hermes Kelly, but it's okay because it doesn't say Hermes on it?

As the poster with the gorgeous! handmade bag showed, it's possible to have a stunning handbag for $130, but it's not going to say Coach, or Prada, or Hermes on it.

I wouldn't buy a fake, or an "inspired" handbag. They are both rip offs and the designer gets no credit for it. In my opinion.

I think everyone here has had to save up for handbags and it's a lovely feeling when you have the money and can go and get it, it's so exciting.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Nishi621 said:
Well-because some people like the style of certain bags/designers, but, do not make the kind of money to afford a $600, $700, $900 bag

Try out COACH, their bags are less expensive and really nice. Great quality too.

If you buy a fake, its not even going to last you a month before something breaks on it....If that long.

Leah411 said:
The absence of labels or stamps or logoes does not necessarily exempt a bag from violating copyright laws or from being considered a counterfeit. Many designs/design elements are also copyrighted. If there is a possibility one bag might be mistaken for a specific bag, design houses may also sue.

This isn't true. the only thing that a company can copyright or trademark is their logo. You can't put a patent on a design unless it is very unique and doesn't exist already... (ie: the scrunchy back in the 90's)

If you could copyright a design(fashion-wise...ie. a dress design) there would be so many lawsuits in the fashion world.

I wouldn't buy a fake bag, but I also wounldn't buy a fake anything. I just don't like fake things: fake people, fake bags, fake hair, fake nails, fake anything at all. It's not a snobby thing, personally I just don't like fake anything. I just think, theres always an alternative to being fake. IMHO.