Fake handbag gifts! what to do?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    My dear aunt and uncle... Oh gosh I love them, well.. went on vacation
    3 months ago, and brought me 2 bags.. since they know I love handbags.

The thing.. is that both bags fake. my aunty really doesn't know nothing about designers and things like that, and she is a bit old, she just liked the bags for me..

I of course accepted them and thank her.. but... what should I do with the bags..? I know she will fell bad if she doesn't see me wearing them, and I would fell terrible to tell her they are fake (I guess they spend at least 400 for both of them :crybaby:) I don't know what to do!!! Damn those persons that scammed my aunty....

2. Tell her thank you and keep them. Put them in your closet and when your with your aunt and uncle take them out and use them. I know they are fake and most people here will tell you to burn them or educate your family about fakes. But I think you should just suck it up and put them in your closet. You might hurt your aunt's feelings if you make a big deal of this. Just my opinion.

3. I agree with BagLadie. Your aunt totally meant well, and that was very sweet of her to purchase two handbags for you. My relative would never do that! :P I wouldn't want to tell her she was scammed into purchasing a fake and make her lose face. I'd just stash it in the back of my closet and feel thankful that she to buy you a nice handbag.

4. Same here...except it was my neighbor who did it...they came back from vacation with a fake D&G for me (even though they know I carry authentic bags). Gag. It's just stashed in the back of my closet, I don't know what else to do with it. :Push:

5. I agree with bag ladie, too (and it's NOT just because she's part of red sox nation, although I'm sure that helps!).

Keep them and use them for cosmetic storage... bring them out when you see them. I say suck it up and just be sure to mention that you don't need any more (that is, if they're going on another vacation!)

6. Thanks for you advices! I guess you are right
    I won't tell them about that they are fake.. and I will keep them as storage in my closet. From time to time I will wear them when I see them.

:heart: thank you gorgeous!!

7. #7 Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    I, too, had a similar thing happen to me, also with an aunt. Mind you my aunt does not come across as innocently as yours. She went on vacation and brought me back the fakest Dior I'd ever seen as a birthday gift. The problem is she knew it was fake, but didn't care. I did not expect any gift from her at all and honestly it would have been better. I can not tell you how hard it was to accept that gift graciously. I guess her reasoning was that because I live for fashion, especially designer handbags, she was doing a "good" thing. The thing that bothered me was her trying to pass it off as real. Anyone that knows me knows I never expect anyone to spend on me what I spend on myself. Anything I want, I'll find a way to buy for myself. Also, she would never, ever buy herself or her *11 year old* daughter a fake bag, so why give one to someone in your family? Again, I would never have expected a REAL Dior, nor did I ask for one. She could have given me anything else... like a souvenir from the island she visited. Thats why her giving me the bag insulted me. She knows I can spot a fake from a mile away and didn't care. She also knows I despise knockoffs. It would be like me buying a person against hunting animals a fur coat for their birthday.

In your case, your aunt sounds like a nice woman who got taken advantage of. I'd say wear it around them a few times and eventually, if you need the closet space, you can give it away to someone who could get use of it. I eventually gave the fake Dior away to my little cousin. She uses it for dress-up. lol

8. Yeah, my aunt is really innocent and she doesn't know NOTHING about fashion or designers, she told me she saw them at a little store boutique (there are many of this stores in Mexico) and she like them for me (my bday was in may) I guess she didn't even knew about they were supose to be from designer.. she told.. - Oh Joni I like this bags for you, they are pretty for you -

So, oh well.. i love my aunt and uncle so no problem i still thank them for thinking in me :heart:

9. Well, you have another option - you can find the same bags (real ones), buy and wear proudly. They are not Birkin knockoffs, aren't they?

10. One is a Balenciaga ripoff (I'm actually waiting for a Giant part time to arrive in the mail) and the other is a LV fake.

11. I agree with this. There's a time and a place to get on the Fake Bag Soapbox, and an elderly aunt buying a gift definitely isn't that time or place :biggrin:

12. Totally agree, especially as the fake bag soap-box is a little shaky anyway, IMO.

13. Good advice, I agree. :yes:

Linda

14. Linda P--Keep the bag in your siggy, it's beautiful.

Novo--great idea! She should pick up REAL versions of the bag... what a good excuse to buy new bags! :smile:

15. I agree. Just carry the bag when you go over to her house or she comes over. Her fealings mean much more than if a bag is real or fake.