Fake Coach Dispute - Seller Issues

StrawberryS

Dec 12, 2007
I bought a fake wallet off of Ebay not too long ago. I got it, knew it was fake, confirmed it here, confirmed it with Coach, and filed a dispute via PayPal. I saved e-mails, the fake 'certificate' of authenticity from the seller (It's shown in the Authenticate This!...Coach thread) and a copy of the auction page.

The seller responded saying as thus:

"
Dear Buyer:If you would read the item description carefully, you would see that the description did not mention whether the wallet is authentic or not. However, to the best of my knowledge, the wallet is authentic and I already have emailed you the certificate which I received from the wholesaler. Also, acording to the term of the listing, you had 3 days to contact me for the return (no exceptions) which would have been December 4th. So, acording to the term of the auction, the time which to return the item have past.Below is part of the description: BRAND NEW COACH CHECK/WALLET #6K13 FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS: 7 CREDIT CARD POCKETS OUTSIDE BACK ZIP COIN COMPARTMENT 2 BILL COMPARTMENTS REMOVABLE SIDE OR TOP BOUND CHECKBOOK HOLDER SNAP TAB CLOSURE TABIf you are not happy with it for any reasons, please contact me within 3 days of receiving it for a full refund. After the 3 days, if I do not hear fromyou, sales are then final (no exceptions).Thank you."

I replied:

"By listing it as Coach, and not a replica, or 'designer inspired' you claim authenticity. You claimed authenticity via the 'certificate' when I asked for authenticity. I forwarded the 'certificate' to Coach, Inc and they verified that it was fake. You sold me fraudulent merchandise, and it was significantly not as you described."

Advice? :/

You should open a dispute. I've never had to do this before but I'm sure a few other posters can tell you the specifics. Sellers are not allowed to sell fake merchandise on ebay whether they write that it's fake or not. It's illegal.

You should open a dispute. Sellers are not allowed to sell fake merchandise on ebay whether they write that it's fake or not. It's illegal.
Exactly right.
And if that seller is NOT a scumbag and actually thought the thing was real when they bought it from their "wholesaler", then they should call the police in the local jurisdiction where this "wholesaler" operates. The Department of Homeland Security is actually the branch of the government who investigates this type of massive counterfeiting operation, by the way, since the funds are often supporting and/or generated by organized crime or terrorist cells. In addition, child labor is nearly always used to produce counterfeit goods such as this, so there's a UN-related human rights issue there as well.

Tell that seller all THAT and see what he/she does. :yes:

Oh and BTW the sellers' response tells me full well that he or she IS a scumbag--too bad, because an honest person who really thought the wallets were real could maybe have helped take down a big wholesale counterfeiter.

The first sentence from the seller would have been enough for me to fly to eBay and open a dispute. She didn't mention whether the wallet was authentic or not? I don't THINK so! Break the law much, seller?

You WILL get your money back. Just be patient until the dispute closes. Don't lose faith, this one should be easy.

OK, you must contact Coach, try calling Coach at their 1-800 number and talk to a supervisor or I think you may be able to also do so online at the website because they are most definitely going to be interested in this seller. That certificate is something they will most def. need to see that.

As far as your dispute is concerned, I think you are going to need something in writing certifying that the item is not authentic. Again, if you contact Coach they should be able to help you, it is my understanding that they will give you a letter for items retailing above $100 - a real wallet (had this one been real) should retail for over $100 so I believe this would qualify.

Best to you and keep us posted!!

Who knows what she knows or not?? But the seller should just take it back no matter what. Just out of curiosity how long did you wait to notify her?

Dear Buyer:If you would read the item description carefully, you would see that the description did not mention whether the wallet is authentic or not. However, to the best of my knowledge, the wallet is authentic and I already have emailed you the certificate which I received from the wholesaler. Also, acording to the term of the listing, you had 3 days to contact me for the return (no exceptions) which would have been December 4th. So, acording to the term of the auction, the time which to return the item have past.Below is part of the description: BRAND NEW COACH CHECK/WALLET #6K13 FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS: 7 CREDIT CARD POCKETS OUTSIDE BACK ZIP COIN COMPARTMENT 2 BILL COMPARTMENTS REMOVABLE SIDE OR TOP BOUND CHECKBOOK HOLDER SNAP TAB CLOSURE TABIf you are not happy with it for any reasons, please contact me within 3 days of receiving it for a full refund. After the 3 days, if I do not hear fromyou, sales are then final (no exceptions).Thank you."

That says to me that she knows...she is just playing the "they told me it was authentic" card. Another favorite is "I am selling it for a friend" or "it was a gift" , if you aren't 100% sure it is real don't list it.