Fake balenciaga...

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
There is this woman that I see on the Metro nearly every morning. She has been carrying a Balenciaga that last few days, and I've been desparately trying to figure out if it's real or not. Is that weird?

I do this all the time with tons of bags, especially LV :P I think one day someone is going to catch me staring and is going to whack me upside the head with the bag :lol:

I have to admit I do it too. :shame:

I think it's partly that I'm so interested in handbags, and when I see one I recognize, I can't help but stare at it. As I'm staring, I can't help but notice if it's real or fake--if I happen to know the difference on that particular style of bag.

I think it's impossible not to do this when it's something that interests you--if there were fake cars out there, you can be sure men would be distinguishing between the genuine ones and the rip-offs!

hahaha i saw this woman at Jamba Juice a few days or so ago with a green city bbag with brass hardware, thought it might be the new emerald, but it turned out to be one of those overly crinkly, shiny, waxy ones. when i got closer it was such an obvious fake. my mom was with me and nudged me to ask is it real? and i shook my head b/c she was like 5 feet away.

a few minutes lates (whilst waiting for my smoothie) some other woman came in with a real gucci (methinks) and they started talking bags together. ( i was wearing my new balenciaga travel bag, not an it-bag) and seriously, OF COURSE i listened in. the fake bag girl was talking about how she was planning on getting this new it-bag shaped like a half-moon soon (muse anyone?), very hoight-toity, about how she JUST bought this one and how she has an addiction. my mom started laughing and i just bit my lip.

despite this... false display of wealth and prestige, i like the idea of "fake" bags actually- i think they help to dispute the idea of a bag displaying monetary status. the communist in me loves that it levels the playing field. not only the rich should have nice things or good design.

but the direct representation of a fake bag as an authentic, and selling it for the same price as an authentic ruins this ideology and perpetuats that elitism.

(sorry if this is a bit off-topic, i dont mean to turn this into a fake vs. real argument. just someting i realized myself a few days ago...)

SuLi said:
There is this woman that I see on the Metro nearly every morning. She has been carrying a Balenciaga that last few days, and I've been desparately trying to figure out if it's real or not. Is that weird?

People do that to me all the time! I walked into Nordstrom this weekend and these three girls at the makeup counter turned and gave me and my blue Work bag the once over. :amazed:

So I stopped in front of them and started looking at shoes, so they could get a good look at the bag! :amuse: I don't mind being check out...just be discreet.

I check out bags all the time. I've educated my husband enough to know the difference but not enough to know all the prices :lol:

He loves to tease me by pointing out and then proclaiming everyone's bag a knockoff. Not within earshot, thank goodness.

Last year he went into Coach and browsed and told the SA I had just gotten a Chloe (Paddy ). When I came in they were all checking it out.