Fake bag from neiman Marcus! What to do?

[/SIZE]
[/LIST]
.. I have seen some folks on here "authenticate" a bag when in fact, it is not the "real deal". [/FONT]

Have you politely pointed out to others when they are incorrect or decide to stay mum as it may be considered arguing or counted as drama?[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I have heard about this happening before .. and here is the problem ..

Neiman Marcus (and sadly many other Retailers) DO NOT know that much about Balenciaga and as such, don't know about how to even authenticate a Balenciaga bag! So, what happens, is that people buy a fake and then "return" it to NM .. but since NM doesn't realize it's a fake, they put it back into their inventory for sale to someone else.
What I would have done is:

• Get it authenticated by a reputable Authenticator (yes, you will have to pay for this) and then go to the store and provide them with the paperwork around the authentication that it is a fake.
    • Speak to the Manager (not a regular Sales Associate) of the Department and not only make sure that you expect a Credit for the fake bag, but that they need to DESTROY the bag per the Federal Rules/Regulations around designer infringement/copyright. If they do not comply, then they can be reported (and that is taken very seriously).
Just some advice for all of you should this happen to you. Unfortunately, this is not the first time it has happened with Retail stores and/or online consignment, so it is ALWAYS best to have it authenticated beforehand. Also, as much as I love TPF and the gals/guys here, go to a reputable Authenticator and get that paperwork .. I have seen some folks on here "authenticate" a bag when in fact, it is not the "real deal".

I would certainly want to be informed if someone felt I had made an error in authenticating a bag. It can be done by private message simplyput, so can be drama-free. While I'm sure everyone does the best they can it would be naive to think that mistakes will never be made. I'm quite certain I can speak for everyone trying to help out by saying that they would want to know if they made an error in authenticating and more importantly, have the opportunity to learn from it.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me and I understand that you have to have a minimum posting requirement as well.

Just curious so I understand the protocol and don't get in any trouble.[emoji6]

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me and I understand that you have to have a minimum posting requirement as well.

Just curious so I understand the protocol and don't get in any trouble.[emoji6]

I think part of the challenge of the AT thread is that you're looking at pics taken in various lights, with various angles and on monitors which may or may not show colour as well as you'd like. Sometimes photos aren't as clear or close up as needed. :-s Without actually handling the bag physically the best anyone can do is give their considered opinion. There are PF authenticators with a ton of Bal miles under their belts and people like myself who haven't as many years behind them but are passionate about the brand. I know sometimes I've messaged with other more seasoned authenticators when I've been hesitant to give an opinion. I think the very last thing anyone would want to do is steer someone in the wrong direction regarding authenticity...There's always something to learn, and it's a labor of love as it's all on a volunteer basis. :hbeat:

Have you politely pointed out to others when they are incorrect or decide to stay mum as it may be considered arguing or counted as drama?

I would certainly want to be informed if someone felt I had made an error in authenticating a bag. It can be done by private message simplyput, so can be drama-free. While I'm sure everyone does the best they can it would be naive to think that mistakes will never be made. I'm quite certain I can speak for everyone trying to help out by saying that they would want to know if they made an error in authenticating and more importantly, have the opportunity to learn from it.[/QUOTE]

In the past, when us "old gals" (Balenciaga-wise) saw that an incorrect authorization was performed, the individual would be notified via a PM along with the "reasons" why the authentication was incorrect. Bottom line, the last thing we wanted .. was for someone to buy a bag that was a fake (and let me tell 'ya, back in the day, there was a term known as a "super-fake" because .. the scammers had done their research and they did look pretty close!). So, what I was really referring to was that I have seen (and us other "old gals") plenty of times when a bag was not authentic but someone thought it was. Sadly, I also have to say that this occurred when the scammers were able to sign-up on TPF and say that their crap bag was authentic (if you did your research, you would eventually see that it was the scammers bag); thankfully, that doesn't really happen anymore!

The main point that I was trying to make, is that the Authentication Paperwork provides the retail outlet/store, etc. - with a more "formal" means of documenting that the item is not authentic as opposed to just going in and say "well, so-&-so said ..", KWIM? I have heard plenty of stories where a person goes into the store and tries to return a non-authentic item and they are not able to; just trying to prevent that from occurring.

I would certainly want to be informed if someone felt I had made an error in authenticating a bag. It can be done by private message simplyput, so can be drama-free. While I'm sure everyone does the best they can it would be naive to think that mistakes will never be made. I'm quite certain I can speak for everyone trying to help out by saying that they would want to know if they made an error in authenticating and more importantly, have the opportunity to learn from it.

In the past, when us "old gals" (Balenciaga-wise) saw that an incorrect authorization was performed, the individual would be notified via a PM along with the "reasons" why the authentication was incorrect. Bottom line, the last thing we wanted .. was for someone to buy a bag that was a fake (and let me tell 'ya, back in the day, there was a term known as a "super-fake" because .. the scammers had done their research and they did look pretty close!). So, what I was really referring to was that I have seen (and us other "old gals") plenty of times when a bag was not authentic but someone thought it was. Sadly, I also have to say that this occurred when the scammers were able to sign-up on TPF and say that their crap bag was authentic (if you did your research, you would eventually see that it was the scammers bag); thankfully, that doesn't really happen anymore!

The main point that I was trying to make, is that the Authentication Paperwork provides the retail outlet/store, etc. - with a more "formal" means of documenting that the item is not authentic as opposed to just going in and say "well, so-&-so said ..", KWIM? I have heard plenty of stories where a person goes into the store and tries to return a non-authentic item and they are not able to; just trying to prevent that from occurring.

[/QUOTE]
Totally get it, I've read on tPF about those scenarios. Is that why the 500 post minimum was put in place? But I have to say, even though the Authentication Paperwork may prove a more formal documentation, I'd place my bet on the "older" experienced tPFers if I was looking to authenticate. The wealth of knowledge regarding Balenciaga on the various threads here is amazing. :yes:

Totally get it, I've read on tPF about those scenarios. Is that why the 500 post minimum was put in place? But I have to say, even though the Authentication Paperwork may prove a more formal documentation, I'd place my bet on the "older" experienced tPFers if I was looking to authenticate. The wealth of knowledge regarding Balenciaga on the various threads here is amazing. :yes:
The 500 Post minimum was put into place to ensure that folks, new to TPF, did not authenticate items .. yes! I totally hear what you are saying, but I do also remember folks saying that when they have gone to the Retail stores with the "well, so-&-so told me ..", that the stores are less receptive to a return/credit. However, let's face it, both Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's pride themselves in customer service, so they are more likely to take it back and give you the credit .. Barneys NY? .. ah, not so much!!

The 500 Post minimum was put into place to ensure that folks, new to TPF, did not authenticate items .. yes! I totally hear what you are saying, but I do also remember folks saying that when they have gone to the Retail stores with the "well, so-&-so told me ..", that the stores are less receptive to a return/credit. However, let's face it, both Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's pride themselves in customer service, so they are more likely to take it back and give you the credit .. Barneys NY? .. ah, not so much!!
I can see a retailer being more receptive to a "legitimate" authentication...we finally have a Nordstrom's here in Vancouver as of the last year or so and I have to admit the customer service has been pretty darned good. :tup:

i've never been the victim of this, but i don't really fault the store. when you order online it's coming via a warehouse anyway, so the switch to a fake bag could be taking place in the off-site warehouse during packaging, or even during shipment, when the bag leaves the store. as long as the store is willing to refund and come good for the problem, it wouldn't make me not shop there again. but, as someone earlier said, i'd go in person from that point forward. i am sure no store is setting out to purposely defraud customers.

I'm not following this thread, but we've always asked members to REPORT items they believe are fake instead of publicly calling out the member's item as it's often embarrassing and causes defensiveness. We handle it quietly. Also, if an authenticator makes an error, as they ARE human ;) we also ask that be pointed out privately. We also don't allow non-vetted members authenticate items. Just FYI.

OMG this is so scary! We must even doubt the authenticity of the products that are bought from very reputable stores! Maybe an innocent person will buy this fake bag and is gonna use it without knowing , how sad really.... After all those quality control problems and checking the bags for hours to see if it has a defect we must also check if it is authentic even the bag comes from a store like Neiman Marcus.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Giant21Lover
Hi
I purchased a balenciaga city mini bag from neimanmarcus.com but it doesn't come with a box and a balenciaga dust bag. no number card and a small square leather. Is this normal?
Box might not be available for the bag at all, they are compulsory for small leather goods and footwear, but not necessarily for a bag.
Dusbag is a must, though
The cards now are just 2 hard folded in half cards with no any data, no number, no year details given any more
A swatch is not provided any longer as far as i know

Box might not be available for the bag at all, they are compulsory for small leather goods and footwear, but not necessarily for a bag.
Dusbag is a must, though
The cards now are just 2 hard folded in half cards with no any data, no number, no year details given any more
Dusbag is a must, though
Dusbag is a must, though
I really appreciated your reply and now I feel rest assured. Thank your so much.