Home & Garden Fairy gardens- anyone interested?

SWlife

For the love of beautiful things
O.G.
Oct 18, 2006
Have you made one yet? I'm thinking about making one.
I live in a very small town & will have to take a trip to find the materials.
If you've made one, will you share a photo?

Last year I tried to make a little fairy-like toad garden with a toad house and toad soaking baths. I spotted some insanely cute ones on garden blogs. It was semi-successful. The toads in my garden loved the soaking baths and I frequently spotted them in the dishes on hot days. However they took up residence under the air conditioner instead of in the toad house. Don't know what I'm going to do this summer. It was kind of a hassle refilling the soaking baths every day, sometimes multiple times a day. Although it was fun spotting them in the garden.

What are your plans for a fairy garden? Do you have any Pinterest or blog inspirations?

I've been looking at "stuff" on Plow & Hearth. I've been considering getting a few solar garden lights--toads like to hunt for bugs around the lights at night. But all the brands seem to go defective after a year or two and I hate the idea of tossing another piece of plastic into the landfill.

Reactions: remainsilly
They were popular years ago.
Then faded. Now back.
As happens with most things.

Always liked idea.
Small scale garden surprises & whimsy.:giggle:

Mine has been around awhile, at base of some shrubs.
Less fairy, more tranquility.
But small scale, set around little monk statue.
Glass marbles form "pond." Edged in rough stones.
Low voltage fixture, blown glass globe--tosses about some fun colors at night.
Assorted false shamrock(Oxalis) plants add bit o' magic.;)
tiny tranquility garden.jpg
Guess overstressed fairies/pixies might like it, too.

Edit:BigPurseSue--plow & hearth has fairy doors! Attach to trees. So cute:love:

Reactions: BigPurseSue
They were popular years ago.
Then faded. Now back.
As happens with most things.

Always liked idea.
Small scale garden surprises & whimsy.:giggle:

Mine has been around awhile, at base of some shrubs.
Less fairy, more tranquility.
But small scale, set around little monk statue.
Glass marbles form "pond." Edged in rough stones.
Low voltage fixture, blown glass globe--tosses about some fun colors at night.
Assorted false shamrock(Oxalis) plants add bit o' magic.;)
View attachment 3689911
Guess overstressed fairies/pixies might like it, too.

Edit:BigPurseSue--plow & hearth has fairy doors! Attach to trees. So cute:love:

I love your garden for over-stressed fairies, RemainSilly! The monk statue is especially delightful.

Does the glass globe use a battery? Or is it hooked up to the neighborhood power grid? I'm hunting for some way to put a little night light in the garden without too much environmental impact. Maybe I'll just have to plant mushrooms that glow in the dark.

Thank you for the hint about the Plow & Hearth fairy doors. They're adorable. Although in my garden I'm the only one who looks at the base of trees--well, except for the fairies that is--and I know they're there, I don't need a door to mark the spot. ;)

P&H does have some amazing things to decorate gardens, don't they? I bookmarked at least a dozen things before I said Enough! Our summers last only three months, and I'm already hauling all sorts of things in and out of the garage for that brief period.

Does the glass globe use a battery? Or is it hooked up to the neighborhood power grid? I'm hunting for some way to put a little night light in the garden without too much environmental impact.
Light is 12v metal/glass fixture, with 18w halogen bulb.
Wired into low voltage landscape light system, when I installed. Auto on/off with light sensor.
Has been in place many years.
Seems to mesmerize baby opossums.
Weird.
Unsure how toads react to it--much less crazy, probably.:cray:

Reactions: BigPurseSue
How wonderful!
Our summers last at least 5 months but we have very destructive squirrels. Day before yesterday, one removed every single blossom on a miniature rose bush on my back deck- the rose bush it ignored for 3.5 weeks.
I think I will put mine on my back deck- I have all I can do to keep my vegetable garden & flower garden out of the mouths of squirrel & deer.
I've got a ton of ideas from Pinterest, but also want to incorporate ideas from the crafty tpf'ers!
Thank you for the photo, remainsilly. Digging the statue!

How wonderful!
Our summers last at least 5 months but we have very destructive squirrels. Day before yesterday, one removed every single blossom on a miniature rose bush on my back deck- the rose bush it ignored for 3.5 weeks.
I think I will put mine on my back deck- I have all I can do to keep my vegetable garden & flower garden out of the mouths of squirrel & deer.
I've got a ton of ideas from Pinterest, but also want to incorporate ideas from the crafty tpf'ers!
Thank you for the photo, remainsilly. Digging the statue!

Your squirrels sound quite batty. In our yard rabbits chew down everything. Late at night I spot them spreading out over the gardens in a small herd, chomping away at the tulip and lily blooms. The squirrels however control the deck. I often find pieces of things like black walnuts that they chew on while sitting comfortably amid the deck chairs.

Will you put the fairy house in a corner of the deck? Or on a rail corner?

Your squirrels sound quite batty. In our yard rabbits chew down everything. Late at night I spot them spreading out over the gardens in a small herd, chomping away at the tulip and lily blooms. The squirrels however control the deck. I often find pieces of things like black walnuts that they chew on while sitting comfortably amid the deck chairs.

Will you put the fairy house in a corner of the deck? Or on a rail corner?

I have a white wrought iron table, I think I might place it on the table.