Fair price for a used 40cm Birkin

CometHailey

My new Vert Emeraude
May 30, 2009
A friend is selling her 40cm birkin to me as she has quite a few in her collection and finding the 40cm too big for her. Its in a very good condition and I know its authentic as I the one who told her to buy it when we were in paris together some years ago... My question is, how much shall I offer to be fair to her?

If she bought it a number of years ago, and the condition is good, color and leather desirable, she could get more than she paid for it, so you may want to take that into consideration as well.
You might be best off to ask her to state a price.

Well, I guess I would offer her what a reseller would offer her, She bought the bag back in 2007, think she paid 5400 euros then its 6450 euros now. Anyway, any suggestion on levels would be great as we both want to do this at a fair price.. It is after all a 40cm and not a 35... I was initially going to offer her 3000 euros...

If she bought it a number of years ago, and the condition is good, color and leather desirable, she could get more than she paid for it, so you may want to take that into consideration as well.
You might be best off to ask her to state a price.

ITA - you should ask your friend to give a price she thinks is fair.

I once sold a birkin to a friend as it didn't suit me. We agreed the retail price I paid was fair as it was only a month old at the time. HTH!

This is a very sensitive situation IMO. You should not expect your friend to sell it to you for a bargain price, if she can get much more some place else. I think offering her 3000 euros is way too little, almost like taking advantage of her JMHO.

This is a very sensitive situation IMO. You should not expect your friend to sell it to you for a bargain price, if she can get much more some place else. I think offering her 3000 euros is way too little, almost like taking advantage of her JMHO.

I totally agree, most resellers buy used bags on a 50%/50% basis anyway where you only get to keep half of the resale value which is not indicative of the true market value of the bag. She could always sell the bag using Ebay or other auction forums. I would ask your friend what figure she would feel comfortable with, which I'm sure would be a good price anyway.

My best price I paid for a used 40cm birkin in good (not perfect) condition 10+ years old was $4500. This was still more than the seller paid and she was happy not to have to deal with the worry of eBay or paypal fees. I paid her in cash. She was a fellow purse boardie who lived somewhere I travel.

My highest was just short of $10K in a year (2007) when this bag probably ran $8K+ at the boutique, but it was a perfect bag in a sought-after color. (Of course now the regular price for a 40cm even at the boutique is around this same price).

My other 40cms were both $9700 or so, through boutiques.

I would gladly pay $6-7K for any 40cm birkin in good (not perfect) condition. Any lower than $6K and I start to wonder why the price is so low and have to decide for myself if it's because there's something wrong with the bag, or there's something fishy with the transaction. Sometimes it's just an inexperienced seller who is happy to let the bag go for some reliable cash.

I have made some good purse board friends who have actually sold me perfectly new things they never used for up to 50% off what they paid. The potential to be royally ripped off really scares some people.

Thanks all... I will have more update later, but long story short - I said I can only afford 3k and she said "Fine, take it! Pay me when ever... " So I have the bag with me now to take to Hermes for the spa treatment tomorrow. I will decide over the weekend whether to keep it or give it back... but it is I think a good price no?

[Its 3k sterling by the way, not euros - so works out about 3300 euros or 4500 usd].

Thanks all... I will have more update later, but long story short - I said I can only afford 3k and she said "Fine, take it! Pay me when ever... " So I have the bag with me now to take to Hermes for the spa treatment tomorrow. I will decide over the weekend whether to keep it or give it back... but it is I think a good price no?

[Its 3k sterling by the way, not euros - so works out about 3300 euros or 4500 usd].

4500USD for a 40cm birkin??!! :nuts::faint: wish i was in your situation!! (LOL) our reseller's prices here are skyrocketing high--way over retail!! :Push: