Factory Outlet

They do have sales on the seasonal things like RTW, but they never mark down the regular stock like bags.

Also they dont have "seconds". Anything that is imperfect is apparently destroyed (although maybe they would fix small imperfections in Paris) And any damaged stock is sent back to Paris for repair.

I agree with the other posts and think that they would lose a lot of business if they opened such an outlet, as the prices are so high I think so many people would go to the outlet that it would cheapen the brand and destroy the image of the company. IMO anyway.

I agree, I don't think they would ever open an outlet. It goes against their entire business mind set and their mystique. I cannot imagine finding "true luxury" at the outlet mall, so to speak.

I've also been told they destroy older sale items that are not sold. Such things as "seconds" do not make it past inspection. Perhaps there are a few pieces that slip every once in a while, just due to volume or whatever But as a whole, you don't find such readily available. If so - I would be highly suspicious.

I think there is some confusion here regarding the difference between a sale and an outlet. By a sale I would understand a time limited event selling off excess stock at a reduced price. I would expect those goods ( in Hermes case at least) to be from a recent season and without defect. Happy hunting all those going to Paris next week by the way! By an outlet I'd expect a full time retail ( or e-commerce) presence selling permanently discounted goods - often of a second quality but also perfects that are just excess stock. Hermes does sales it doesn't do outlets. For anyone living in the NorthWest of England you just couldn't get your head around Hermes opening at Cheshire Oaks ( our local outlet district) - it would irrevocably cheapen the brand.

If you want Hermes you have to :-
a) pay top dollar at the shop
b) fish around for something second hand on e-bay or at the auctions
c) line yourself up for lots of time and effort at the sales ( and possibly come away with nothing)
d) inherit!

You have to get away from thinking it's anything like a normal shopping experience - the customer ( average Joe you and me anyway) isn't king - what the atelier can provide to the house's own quality standards rule. If you have Maharaja or Sheik levels of cash to spend you can get what you want - but you'll still have to wait a bit for it!

^
I Agree. Extensive Outlet sales (like in the US) is really a sign that the mark ups are way too high in some regular stores.

Factory sales are also different from the outlets.

For H I think a lot of the products are too labour intensive to be in an outlet, it would not be very profitable.

^
THey do have sales (Many in france at the moment even), and prsonally I do not think it takes away from the brand mystique, especially not the way Hermès is conducting them.

H has sales; H also has sample sales, at least in NYC. You can google or go to Racked.com for sample sale info. I also read somewhere that kellys did go for a reduced price to -- H VIPs -- years ago at the Paris location; I don;t know if it is still true as am decidedly not a VIP :smile:

Other than the Bi-Annual/Annual Sales, I wonder if Hermes also holds Staff Sales.

880, you're right. Hermes held a sample sale previously in NYC around Sept 08 at the Metropolitan Pavilion.

Chrixtabel

That area of London has a lot of " Sweat shops", brick lane, huge multicultural area, and great market known for many years for pre 2nd world war for many cultures who make garments
however that company Hermes is a property investment firm
About Hermes​
Hermes is a leading pension fund investment manager, independent of
any broader financial services organisation. Hermes currently invests
approximately £44bn (31/12/03) on behalf of over 200 clients including
pension funds, insurance companies, government entities and financial
institutions, as well as charities and endowments. However, Hermes’
largest client is the British Telecom Pension Scheme (BTPS), who as
owner of Hermes, gives its investment management perspective a
unique insight and close alignment to the needs of other long-term
investors and pension funds.​
Investment Strategy​