Facebook

bagnshoofetish

Oh. Gee.
O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
Am I the only person on earth to have not encountered any drama on Facebook? I have been on for about 5 years and always read all these horror stories on TPF about people being very catty to each other on there. And not just from the younger crowd. I'm talking about older people who should know better and be more mature.

Granted I only friend people I actually know (around 400). And though we don't all have the same values and ideals we all respect each other and never engage in heated debates. If anything ever looks like it is going that way, peace is preferred and things end before getting out of control. But I have never witnessed jealousy or bitterness or "one upping". The majority of the time we are all joking with each other, posting funny things, great music or sharing our lives and letting each other know whats going on.

Maybe I have the luxury of having weeded out undesirable friends through the years in my real life and only surround myself with people who have good intentions for each other, I don't know.

But I cannot be the only one! Please tell me there are others out there and share your positive Facebook experiences!

I got rid of FB about a week a go. I could not take it anymore. I started by unfriending people as annoyed me; the guy who was vocally into pot, the (married) guy from high school who messaged me how hot I am, the girl who claimed to have PTSD and felt the need to tell FB several times a day, ect. Then it got weird. Some of the people I unfriended would send me another friend request. Others I would see in real life. So I quit unfriending and started hiding.

A few months ago a guy I used to work with hit a bad patch in his marriage. Mind you I do not see this guy IRL anymore. He just constantly posted on FB. One post he loved his wife, was sorry, and would do anything to get her back. The next post he hated her, she was the worst *****, and he was done. My favorite posts were complaining that everyone needed to stay out of their business and leave them alone. UHH? They eventually got divorced. Everyone of these posts irritated me to no end, but I kept looking. Post filling the pictures of him with his son, proclaiming that he was a better parent than the ex started, and I started to wonder WHY AM I LOOKING AT THIS?

I usually felt two things when looking at FB, annoyance or disgust. Why was I continuing to look, several times a day, at something I did not enjoy. It's just a LOOK AT ME fest. While I agree that some people use it appropriately, the one's who don't overshadow them. I put the inappropriate into two camps; the oversharers and the look at me ones. Divorce guy above was an oversharer. The look at me ones were checking in their every move. I knew where they went to dinner, what movie they watched that night at home, that they went to a concert because they posted blurry indecipherable pics so we could all see that they went to a concert . As if it was that special that I needed 10 pics of the back of the person in front of them's head.

The final nail in the coffin for me was a girl slamming her husband on FB and him then defending himself on FB. Seriously, why are they not talking to each other. Why are we looking at this. I guess to address your post; no that was not my FB experience. I wish it was.

No drama here either, shoo. I don't post much personal info--I'm on mostly to keep up with those who prefer FB. I don't get into negative stuff.......life is too short for that.

...I guess to address your post; no that was not my FB experience. I wish it was.

I'm sorry about that Staci. Maybe just keep the people on who you know are drama free? I have a very long list of people who have sent me friend requests and I either have no idea who they are or they are people I know can be trouble so I ignore those requests. You just have to be that way. Because like boxermom says,

...I don't get into negative stuff.......life is too short for that.

I have a very small group of friends, less than 200. If things get drama-y in real life or online, I remove them. So no dealing with them making catty comments, spamming news feed fishing for compliments or an argument. If a friendship falls out, then I may even block them to completely be cut off.

So my facebook experience is drama free, since I take measures to avoid it. If they aren't liking me or whatever, they at least keep it to themselves and don't post anything catty. Life is too short for online drama.

I haven't been involved in any drama myself or with my friends on FB. I haven't observed any drama among my real friends or family on FB either. I am a member of some groups where there seems to be some drama. I just ignore it. I've taken the groups out of my newsfeed, so I only check in when I want to.

I agree with Staci about the oversharers & look-at-mes. they're all over FB. I don't understand why anyone would air their personal laundry on the internet or fight with others on the internet rather than in person. I have one friend who is a FB oversharer, but she's an oversharer in person too. it's a narcissistic world that I will never understand.

haven't really been involved in any drama. I actually don't even pay much attention to FB, so I'm sure there are oversharers and people with drama, but I just breeze by it all. I'm really on FB just to follow businesses I like and stay somewhat connected to people I don't see on a regular basis but am still friendly with. I am one of those people that posts food all the time- my DH encountered a bit of drama about it from someone who was upset that we were "showing off" when other people don't have enough food to eat...

Good grief. It reminds me of a news story I saw on FB. A very wealthy family is building a huge mansion in a near by city. it's rediculously big. There were hundreds of comments on the story about how people were starving how dare they build this. I wonder if all of those commenters spend all of their disposable income on helping the poor. If not they need to stfu. They have no clue if this family donated to any charities or not. It boggles my mind that people who have worked hard to get ahead should not be able to buy things that they want.

haven't really been involved in any drama. I actually don't even pay much attention to FB, so I'm sure there are oversharers and people with drama, but I just breeze by it all. I'm really on FB just to follow businesses I like and stay somewhat connected to people I don't see on a regular basis but am still friendly with. I am one of those people that posts food all the time- my DH encountered a bit of drama about it from someone who was upset that we were "showing off" when other people don't have enough food to eat...
^people can be so ridiculous :wacko::noggin:

^^^you should have told them "then you should maybe walk to work tomorrow because not everybody has a car". lol...
YES!!! :roflmfao:

Good grief. It reminds me of a news story I saw on FB. A very wealthy family is building a huge mansion in a near by city. it's rediculously big. There were hundreds of comments on the story about how people were starving how dare they build this. I wonder if all of those commenters spend all of their disposable income on helping the poor. If not they need to stfu. They have no clue if this family donated to any charities or not. It boggles my mind that people who have worked hard to get ahead should not be able to buy things that they want.
^exactly! :woohoo:

That's another thing I hate about Fb; everyone is out to pursecute everyone else. I swear people will read a headline, not even click on the story, and post comments damning someone else. As if that makes them better than the person. On fb there's no innocent until proven guilty. I actually unfriended a girl because I got sick of seeing stories she commented on how so and so should burn in hell.
And don't even get me started on the people who were posting names of people who died before the media was. So crude. Look at me I got the scoop. Not a thought about the family. I would be pissed to find a love one passed via fb.

That's another thing I hate about Fb; everyone is out to pursecute everyone else. I swear people will read a headline, not even click on the story, and post comments damning someone else. As if that makes them better than the person. On fb there's no innocent until proven guilty. I actually unfriended a girl because I got sick of seeing stories she commented on how so and so should burn in hell.
And don't even get me started on the people who were posting names of people who died before the media was. So crude. Look at me I got the scoop. Not a thought about the family. I would be pissed to find a love one passed via fb.

I agree with you. unfortunately I think FB (& the internet in general) can feed some weird behaviors. it seems like people are more confrontational online...maybe because it's easier to spout off on your keyboard than it is to someone's face. I think it also feeds into some kind of weird need for fame or notoriety (like you said originally)...which stems from narcissism, in my opinion.

I think it's good for everyone to have an opinion, but maybe not so good for every single opinion to be expressed to the general public. the posts are even worse if someone isn't using their real name. it's almost like real life has become more like a television show. people aren't thinking of the real world impacts of what they say & do, they're just spouting off as if what happens on the internet is as unreal & remote as what happens on TV. I dare say the person who said you shouldn't eat the meals you do because people in the world are starving would NEVER have had the audacity to say that to your face.

No drama here. I have FB friends from HS, college, various workplaces, etc. but since we're all in our 40s, the posts are either informational (links to articles) or are family/kid photos and updates. Pretty tame stuff.