Face moisturizer with SPF, or moisturizer PLUS sunscreen?

xJOLE

Aug 23, 2011
Do you use a moisturizer with SPF in it, or do you use separate products (moisturizer first, then sunscreen)? Just wondering which method you ladies prefer! I'm currently on Accutane, which means that my skin is super sensitive to the sun. I'm currently using Eucerin Replenishing Face Creme followed by Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF70. My dermatologist said that SPF30 should be fine, but after experiencing by first facial sunburn due to Accutane, I'd rather be on the safe side!

I'm hoping to eliminate a step in my morning routine by looking in to a moisturizer with SPF30+ in it, but I've heard that combo products (moisturizer with SPF, bb cream with SPF, etc.) don't actually have the stated SPF protection and that you would need to apply 7 layers of it to actually get any protection. Do you ladies find this to be true? I'd love to hear your experiences. TIA!

I am curious about this answer as well! I use a combined moisturizer/SPF, but have been recently considering making the switch to a separate SPF and moisturizer for additional protection! Just not sure I want to add another step to my morning routine.

I have read that foundation/BB cream that includes SPF is not very effective, because you would need to put on too much makeup for sufficient SPF coverage on your face.

Separate. Because the mixed ones tend to contain low SPF and even so makes the texture so thick and sticky. It also makes other active ingredients less effective.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

Do you use a moisturizer with SPF in it, or do you use separate products (moisturizer first, then sunscreen)? Just wondering which method you ladies prefer! I'm currently on Accutane, which means that my skin is super sensitive to the sun. I'm currently using Eucerin Replenishing Face Creme followed by Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF70. My dermatologist said that SPF30 should be fine, but after experiencing by first facial sunburn due to Accutane, I'd rather be on the safe side!

I'm hoping to eliminate a step in my morning routine by looking in to a moisturizer with SPF30+ in it, but I've heard that combo products (moisturizer with SPF, bb cream with SPF, etc.) don't actually have the stated SPF protection and that you would need to apply 7 layers of it to actually get any protection. Do you ladies find this to be true? I'd love to hear your experiences. TIA!

Separate is always better. And if you don't want to tan then you would need SPF 50. I do not want to tan so anything lower than 50 would darken my complexion or give me more sun/brown spots. I prefer Asian brand SPF since they been making them for many more years and have perfected the texture, scent and effectiveness. They're great under makeup.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

My basic moisturizer has SPF 15 (Caudalie Vinoperfect Day Perfecting Fluid) which is sufficient for me during the winter, but in other seasons I also use it in conjunction with La Mer SPF50 Fluid for extra protection against the stronger sunlight!

My foundation allegedly has SPF25 in it also (Diorskin Forever compact foundation) but I'm skeptical (-(oo)-)

Im on accutane(low dose) too. I use a moisturiser with Spf28 under BB cream or foundation with Spf too. Have done that since my teen years. Never had a problem. I am medium fair, from a sunny asia country.
I use shishedo white lucent emulsion spf15 or drug store shishedo (aqualabel moist protect milk UV SPF28)

My beauty routine is pretty fuss-free so I like to use a moisturiser with SPF added, but it's only ~SPF20. If you are sensitive to the sun then I think a separate sunscreen is a better way to go because you can better control the application and re-apply throughout the day if you need to.

I prefer to use separate moisturizers and SPF. I have pretty dry skin, so layering textures isn't really an issue for me. I switch up my moisturizers all the time, depending on my skin needs at the time, but I always reach for either the This works in transit SPF30 or the ROC protexion+ high tolerance fluid SPF50 for SPF.
I personally struggle to find an everyday moisturizer with a built in SPF that suits my needs and that I completely rely on...