Face and lip primer? How important is each?

serafina

Aug 15, 2009
I wear lipgloss and powder/foundation on a daily basis. For eyeshadow I always use a primer, but for the lipgloss and foundation I havent really felt a need.

My question is... how important is it to use a face primer and a lip primer? Does makeup look drastically different and last longer? How much longer?

Also, if someone could suggest some cheap but effective primers, that'd be awesome. I saw a drugstore brand, I think it may have been Maybelline having a face primer... believe it was $15.... I would imagine for that price it should be pretty darn good!

I've found that as I've gotten older and my skin dryer that primer helps keep the foundation from disappearing. Never used it when I was younger. Don't use a lip primer. If lips are dry I just use chapstick instead.

Smashbox has very nice primers. $16 for a smaller size from Sephora but lasts a very long time as you need very little.

My best friend just got me addicted to Philosophy's The Present Primer. I'd never used a primer before, and she let me borrow a little of her's to try it. I went out the very next weekend & bought it for myself. A+ product.

LOL yes it is. (the monistat..) There is a huge thread on it! You should read it!
I love Smashbox primer and I can not love without it. It really makes my makeup go on nicely, and my skin look great. Laura Mercier makes a good one too. For sure get a few samples and try a few. I think you will love the result! I do not use anything on my lips..just lip gloss.

Last edited:
Face primer is amazing...it doesn't let your makeup crease (ie: eye crinkles, laugh lines, etc). It also keeps your pores from absorbing the foundation and other makeup.

If you're not sure about the face/lip primers, just pick up some samples from your local makeup counter and see if you like it. :smile:

I've been wearing foundation since I was 15 (I'm 43) and when primers first came out I thought OMG what a ripoff. BUT, I am a changed woman. I love how they just even out my skin texture and keep my makeup from disappearing. My skin is combo/schizo and I still do break out in my t-zone sometimes even at my age.

ITA to get samples to see what you like! I love smashbox and Chanel le Blanc.

I don't use lip primers - just lipstick and gloss.

XXXOO PG

I wear makeup almost everyday. I use NARS face and e/s primers and I really like it. I've forgotten to wear primers once or twice in a rush to put my MU on and get out the door. I noticed the difference! Never gonna go w/o primer again :smile:

I don't use a lip primer per say, but I do line the edges of my lips with a lip concealer stick from Smashbox (now discontinued) to prevent the lipstick I put on from bleeding over the edge of my lips.

You can also try Monistat anti chafing gel for a face primer. Works great. And you certainly can't beat the price.

Love this stuff! And I like that face primer is not the only use for it!

I have a funny store about when I bought mine. DH was hollering through the entire store trying to embarass me and asking loudly if I had an "infection" since all he saw was monistat and assumed it was for girly problems. I was trying to hush him and explain what I was getting it for and he starts with you're putting that on your FACE!? He even pointed it out to the cashier who you could tell was trying not t laugh and I finally told her what I was doing with it and told her to try it also. I kid you not, a few months later that same girl thanked me! Now after hearing the story all my GF's and I (who I also made use it) call it coochie cream.