Fabric lining yes or no?

Nov 5, 2015
Hi everyone. I don‘t think it was a conscious choice until now, but apart from a canvas workhorse Garden Party ( my gateway drug to H), I only own beautiful leather lined H bags. I know there is a lot of pros and cons to the different outer leathers. I myself don‘t like Epsom. But what about the inside of the bags? Can you ladies please point me to The pros and cons of leather vs fabric/silk? Thank you and enjoy your Sunday!

Hi everyone. I don‘t think it was a conscious choice until now, but apart from a canvas workhorse Garden Party ( my gateway drug to H), I only own beautiful leather lined H bags. I know there is a lot of pros and cons to the different outer leathers. I myself don‘t like Epsom. But what about the inside of the bags? Can you ladies please point me to The pros and cons of leather vs fabric/silk? Thank you and enjoy your Sunday!
Bags can be unlined (evelyne, picotin) or canvas lined (some garden parties?) or leather lined (most bags; usually swift or Chevre leather). Pros of unlined and canvas lined are that it keeps the bag’s weight and price low. Pros of leather lined is that it adds structure and luxury but also significantly increases the price. Lining type is typically defined per bag style so for me it comes down more to if I like the exterior of the bag shape, style, etc and then the lining is what it is. The Garden Party is the only bag that immediately comes to mind where more than one lining type is a real choice.

Reactions: WKN and tlamdang08
unlined (Evelyne tpm) or leather lined - not a fan of canvas lining (only in my beat around Gao) bec I feel it adds to the slouch of a bag and I don't like slouchy.

I have a victoria (fabric-lined), a bolide 35 (leather-lined) and a picotin 22 (unlined) and have used them all frequently. The biggest takeaways from all of the different interiors is the weight of the bag, as well as your tolerance for scratches/stains on different finishes.

Victoria
I have used the victoria as-is and with a bag insert. I prefer using it with the bag insert for structure, but I appreciate the fabric/canvas lining as it is fairly easy to clean. An excellent travel bag because it is lightweight and no fuss.

Picotin
Unlined bags scare me because of color transfer and potentially losing the softness of the unlined side of the leather due to wear and tear. The benefit of the bag is that it is light and easy to use. I have a maitai bag insert in my pico and it is the perfect balance between a light bag and protection for the unlined interior.

Bolide
So. heavy. I love the luxuriousness of the leather interior, however, it is quite difficult to carry if it is stuffed to the brim. I worry about scratches on the soft leather lining, so I also added a samorga bag insert to the bag to protect the interior and give it some structure.

Reactions: AnnaE
I prefer slouchy bags, so a have no problem with fabric interiors, it also makes the bag less heavy which is a plus for me. I would love a matte croc Birkin lined in canvas as they used to be!!

Reactions: golconda
I have a victoria (fabric-lined), a bolide 35 (leather-lined) and a picotin 22 (unlined) and have used them all frequently. The biggest takeaways from all of the different interiors is the weight of the bag, as well as your tolerance for scratches/stains on different finishes.

Victoria
I have used the victoria as-is and with a bag insert. I prefer using it with the bag insert for structure, but I appreciate the fabric/canvas lining as it is fairly easy to clean. An excellent travel bag because it is lightweight and no fuss.

Picotin
Unlined bags scare me because of color transfer and potentially losing the softness of the unlined side of the leather due to wear and tear. The benefit of the bag is that it is light and easy to use. I have a maitai bag insert in my pico and it is the perfect balance between a light bag and protection for the unlined interior.

Bolide
So. heavy. I love the luxuriousness of the leather interior, however, it is quite difficult to carry if it is stuffed to the brim. I worry about scratches on the soft leather lining, so I also added a samorga bag insert to the bag to protect the interior and give it some structure.

I have an Evelyne TPM that I use a lot, and it's still totally fine inside, despite never ever babying it. I ordered one recently in a new color, but the same leather, and it is comparable on the inside. Haven't experienced color transfer issues either.

The benefit of a fabric lining, where available, is that it is cheaper to replace, if needed. And the weight is a major factor for me.

Reactions: undecided45