fabric bags? (made of fabric, not to hold fabric)

thatbaglady

Oct 31, 2007
when/if you buy a fabrics bag, do you expect to keep it forever, or do you go into knowing that it will need to be replaced sooner than a leather bag that might last longer than you do? there are just so many cute patterns around, and I certainly don't mind getting a new bag more often, but I just wonder if I am alone on this.

Some fabric monogram bags, like Fendi's or Prada's I trust, otherwise I plan on replacing them often. Coach Canvas bags are also high quality, and will stay around.
However, there are several fabric bags out there that might do the trick for a bit, but not worth the price in my openion.

I love bags that are a combination of fabric and leather but when I buy them I keep in mind that they may not last long.

For instance I like some of the Dooney bags, even with the goofy logos, but I won't buy anymore of them because those light pastels are dirt magnets. I've seen enough icky spotted Dooneys on ebay to know that I don't want to carry bags that look like that. I called Dooney's customer service and asked if there was a way to keep them clean. They gave me the bit about how "You don't need to do anything to protect our bags because the fabric is specially treated so stains will come right off with soap and water." Not in my experience.

I spray a couple coats of Scotchgard on my other fabric bags, like my Betsey Johnson's, and hope for the best.

I toss out my Vera Bradley-esque bags after a couple years because they fade in the wash and pick up grime especially on the handles.

I tend to rotate my fabric bags because I find that if I carry a fabric bag everyday for a full season it can become not just dirty but bedraggled.

I really prefer all leather because I feel it will hold up better over time. I'm always afraid that I will hurt the fabric on some of my bags which in turn makes me not want to carry them.

I tend to use fabric bags as "beater" bags so I don't buy high-end ones, but the ones I do buy I prefer leather trim for a little durability. I have a couple Tokidoki and Orla Kiely that have worked really well, they fold easily into suitcases for traveling and they're also very light.

I have plenty of bags, so even the fabric ones dont get used enough to get very worn out quickly. I wouldnt pay a fortune for a fabric bag though, somehow I still try to keep in mind that they are not as durable as a leather bag.
But no, I dont worry about them having to be replaced too much when I buy them.