Eye Creams with Retinol

Mar 27, 2009
I just recently bought ROC retinol eye cream, and I noticed that I have little dry red patches at the outer corners of my eyes! Is this sensitivity? I usually use a retinol cream for my face, but this is the first time I have ever had it for an eye cream. Should I just cut back for awhile? Or is this a bad sign?

Are you using it daily? If so, I would try it every 2-3 days and gradually build up to daily use. My skin needs time to get used to retinol (depending on strength) but everyone is different.

Are you using it in the AM, or just at night?

I've been using Avene Ystheal+ eye contour cream for just over a year, and at most, about 3 nights per week. To reiterate what everyone else has said - you definately have to build up the tolerance to retinoids, but it's also not a good idea to use in the AM. Or if you must, use an SPF.

I don't use anything with retinol or retinyl palmitate in it as it either makes my skin flake or inflames it. Ever since I've realized this, my skin looks much better.

Are you using it daily? If so, I would try it every 2-3 days and gradually build up to daily use. My skin needs time to get used to retinol (depending on strength) but everyone is different.

I use RoC Retinol Eye Cream only at night. It may take awhile for your skin to get used to it but it works!

Retinoids do need an adjustment period hence the dry patches and flakiness.

Are you using it in the AM, or just at night?

I've been using Avene Ystheal+ eye contour cream for just over a year, and at most, about 3 nights per week. To reiterate what everyone else has said - you definately have to build up the tolerance to retinoids, but it's also not a good idea to use in the AM. Or if you must, use an SPF.

I don't use anything with retinol or retinyl palmitate in it as it either makes my skin flake or inflames it. Ever since I've realized this, my skin looks much better.

it sounds like a sensitivity issue especially the skin around your eyes is so delicate.. try using it only a few nights a week

Thank you everyone! I am going to only use it three nights a week. For all the other times, I will have to find a non retinol eye cream to use. Any suggestions?

Comparing the 2 list of ingredients:

RoC RETINOL CORREXION Deep Wrinkle Night Cream
INGREDIENT LIST

Water
Ceteareth-20
Glycerin
Isodecyl Neopentanoate
Stearyl Alcohol
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate
Tetrahydroxypropyl Ethylenediamine
PEG-100 Stearate