Experiences with the new leather

Aug 19, 2008
My boyfriend bought a new Mulberry wallet in August 2016. It is this one:
20160807_194502_zpsb72tv5nc.jpg

This picture is from August, before he started using it.

As you can see, it's the new print assisted leather - and in my experience, very different from NVT.

Before that, he had an old Mulberry wallet with the same layout - he had it for several years before replacing it. I can post pictures of that later if anyone's interested in seeing how that has worn in comparison.

I just had a look at it today, and this is how the "new" wallet is looking:
20170319_220736_zpsvuy8o1ff.jpg

It generally looks nice still - the pattern hasn't changed much and it's still looking quite shiny, but it is very worn for a 7 month old wallet - the bottom right corner is very worn.

The inside is looking quite worn as well:
20170319_182714_zpsbrtr7wmv.jpg

I must admit that I am quite surprised that it is this worn already. The top layer of the leather has been worn off in areas as you can see at the top left corner - and that's from 7 months use.

Anyway, I don't think a lot of people have too much experience with the new leather yet, so in case you're wondering, this is the experience from here.

Reactions: ksuromax
He's quite annoyed about it - it's an expensive wallet to replace after 7 months, so he'll probably contact customer services tomorrow (or get me to do it as I am terribly patient :angel:)

Mulberry says on the website that they have a 12 months guarantee, but they'll probably put this down to natural wear and tear - it really wouldn't surprise me.
But leather peeling after 7 months... :doh:

He's quite annoyed about it - it's an expensive wallet to replace after 7 months, so he'll probably contact customer services tomorrow (or get me to do it as I am terribly patient :angel:)

Mulberry says on the website that they have a 12 months guarantee, but they'll probably put this down to natural wear and tear - it really wouldn't surprise me.
But leather peeling after 7 months... :doh:
Let us know how you get on Princesspig... :sad:

Reactions: princesspig
This was the strap of my Darley Satchel. I had not worn it five times when I noticed the fading in the leather. Not only that, the grain is gone. I believe this could be from the rubbing of the leather ring that helps keep the strap in place. I certainly did not scratch it against anything. If you look closely at the second picture, one can see the color also fading along the sides of the strap. How long until the whole bag starts to loose the color/texture? I did not wait to find out. Not impressed.

IMG_1835.JPG IMG_1836.JPG

This was the strap of my Darley Satchel. I had not worn it five times when I noticed the fading in the leather. Not only that, the grain is gone. I believe this could be from the rubbing of the leather ring that helps keep the strap in place. I certainly did not scratch it against anything. If you look closely at the second picture, one can see the color also fading along the sides of the strap. How long until the whole bag starts to loose the color/texture? I did not wait to find out. Not impressed.

View attachment 3639772 View attachment 3639773[/QUOTE
Such a shame! Compared to some of my old pieces that I`ve worn every day for 30 years and you almost can`t tell, this is so disappointing:sad:

I'm sad to hear that others have had a similar experience - it's a pity because these things are expensive and I would think a lot of us buy them expecting them to last for years, maybe decades before having to consider replacing them.

If this is the quality we should expect from the new leathers Mulberry use, then I will be moving on to other brands. My 10 year old bags are still looking great, despite having been worn loads - and yet, the new ones seem like they are just supposed to last for a season or two. Sigh.

View attachment 3639772 View attachment 3639773
Not right. Not right at all.:hs:

Worried about leather of my small classic grain alice zipped tote(regular size).
Was new printed grain, couple years ago. Before Coca.
Wear includes grain smoothing--but only near metal hardware.
The Different Mulberry Leathers: A Guide
Today, looks same. Not peeling, no color loss.

Hope mulb fixes your darley situation.:flowers:

I owned 4 Mulberry bags in the past: An oversized original Bayswater (mens collection but I use it for work and travelling); Croc Lilly; Coca Bayswater in Oxblood; Coca Bayswater in Taupe (I already forgot the name of the colour).

I sold each one with the exception of the oversized original Bayswater. I LOVE the new design of the Bayswater, truly do. I love the size, the lighter weight, the cavernous interior. But something was missing and it was the quality of the leather. It just didn't feel like good leather to me. Although nothing happened to mine, I sold them before they started to age as I did not have confidence they would age well.

My Lily Croc was a dream to me and I was so happy to own it. But once it started to scratch, the scratch showed the underside of the leather which was a whitish colour. What on earth? It didn't even feel like leather to me. It sold at a really low price.

So no more Mulberry for me. I LOVE the new designs but I don't trust the leather quality. I still own my oversized Bays and will likely own it for life. It's just spectacular.

The wallet is on the way to Mulberry's repair centre now. I noticed, as I was filling in the paperwork, that the inking was cracking as well, so I've noted that as well.

So far Mulberry have dealt with it quickly and I'm quite pleased about the level of service. It usually takes a few weeks before the item is fully assessed by the repair team, so I'm waiting patiently.
I'm hoping those of us who have had a bad experience with the new leather have just been unlucky, rather than it being a general issue.

Reactions: Emmelines
So sorry to hear about this..
I really hope Mulberry will fix those as I would be very disappointed experiencing this too.
My (old) NVT leather SBS that I love doesn't take the test of time so well (it just discolors and was already send to Mulb) and I have to say, although I adore this bag, it sometimes think of selling it just because of that.. :sad:

So sorry to hear about this..
I really hope Mulberry will fix those as I would be very disappointed experiencing this too.
My (old) NVT leather SBS that I love doesn't take the test of time so well (it just discolors and was already send to Mulb) and I have to say, although I adore this bag, it sometimes think of selling it just because of that.. :sad:
What colour is your SBS?