Experiences with staffing agencies?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Has anyone used staffing agencies for jobs? Not temp work.

Just wanted to know the pros and cons of using one. Thanks!

2. I've had friends who had good luck with them in the IT field. I know my brother (he's an accountant) used one successfully when he moved to a new state.

I didn't have as much luck when I was looking for a new job in the bio-research field. I've been on both sides - when I sought out the staffers, they kind of ignored me and pointed me in the direction of expensive classes and tests I should take to make me more desirable to the companies they hired for (I have a bachelor's degree from a very good school, and had many years of experience in the field - I don't need anymore paid schooling, thankyouverymuch). In the case where I was contacted directly by recruiting agencies, they never listened to what I wanted in a job and with one company I was sent on a time-wasting interview, as the research was in a field I expressly told the recruiter I would not consider working in again. Another company that had contacted me had a very car salesman, say whatever you want to hear just sign on the dotted line type recruiter. The more details I asked about the job the more annoyed he got and the more pressure he put on me to try to get me to quit my current job before receiving an official offer from the company he had a contract through.

So yes - I think it really depends what field you're in. I had horrible luck in science, but I know people in tech who have had great results. Pros: if they're good, they have a lot of ins and credibility with the companies they're working with. Cons: You can probably apply for the same jobs online, and possibly negotiate higher pay than if you went through a recruiter (since the company isn't out the recruitment fee....some recruiters also get paid based on percentage of what the employee makes).

3. #3 Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Thanks for your post. Sorry about your experience! Very frustrating and who would quit their current job with no official offer?? Doesn't even make sense..

I've heard that these recruitment agencies post for jobs that don't even exist because they want to build a candidate base and they call you in for interviews like they're going to set something up with the company when the position doesnt even exist! And I've heard they just bombard you with jobs that you don't even want / not a good fit once you send them your resume..they push you to go on interviews.. Ive heard some good exp with temp work though.

4. Yes - I have experienced this as well. After graduating I interviewed with 4 or 5 recruiters. Each had posted a specific job description in the newspaper that were interesting for me, but none of the jobs existed. I was offered all sorts of weird things that certainly weren't a good fit for me.

I had a great experience with the temp agency I went with, though. It was a bit frustrating, considering that I was earning significantly less than my colleagues at the bank, but it was more about networking and gaining work experience for me. I only stayed a year because I couldn't handle the commute (2 hours each way).

I have also worked with a staffing agency before. I had two interviews with them (they also attended the interview with me at the company) and they went well. I declined their offer, though, because I got a better offer from my current job. The staffing agency basically did all the "weeding out" for the company.

5. I almost work exclusively with recruiters in my field which is currently project management. I contract for large corporations that have contracts with these recruiters. The recruiters know about open positions before I know they exist.

The pros are that you can generally make more money contracting than being in the same position full time, and many of these recruiters offer benefits. My current recruiter has health care and a 401K. Also you will have less competition because the recruiter will only submit a small amount of candidates to the hiring manager, and the hiring manager makes his/her decision from that pool.

The cons are that you never know when something will pop up, and if you can find jobs yourself, you don't have to pay a recruiter a commission. My current recruiter takes about 1/3 of what my company pays them -- kind of insane considering all they're doing is collecting on the work I'm doing.

6. Thank you both for your replies. I have heard that going through agencies for contract work will get you more money but full time work is different. I guess that is true. I haven't contacted anyone yet but will post back if I do and have questions.