Experience with new chains or re-gilding at Chanel

Farring

Jan 19, 2012
Hey TPF'ers,

I just recently purchased a vintage Chanel maxi XL flap bag GHW, but the gold on the chain has tarnished. I didn't pay much for the bag, so I don't mind spending some money on pampering it. I would love to know if any of you have experience with getting new chains or having "old" ones re-gilded.
I'm really interested in knowing:
- would you recommend having it done at Chanel or at a bag spa?
- price?
- since Chanel no longer make the maxi XL flap bag, do you know if it's even possible to get a new chain considering the chain is larger than the one used for the other flap bags?

I'm really looking forward to reading your input!

bgirl525

Dec 27, 2011
SoCal
I also bought a vintage xl maxi approximately 2 years ago and took it to a Chanel boutique to send it off for the total spa treatment. It took about 3 months to get it back and I think I spent $200-$250,however, I've heard the spa prices have been increased since then. They did a wonderful job! It looks brand new! I would recommend sending it to Chanel.

Farring

Jan 19, 2012
I also bought a vintage xl maxi approximately 2 years ago and took it to a Chanel boutique to send it off for the total spa treatment. It took about 3 months to get it back and I think I spent $200-$250,however, I've heard the spa prices have been increased since then. They did a wonderful job! It looks brand new! I would recommend sending it to Chanel.

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed to know! I think that's a reasonable price, considering the value of the bag will increase, too. However, I will have to check up on the price increase. Once again, thank you! 😊