Experience with buying Coach at Macy's ?

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
Oct 27, 2007
Ok, so who here knows that Macy's supposedly has a Coach-imposed return policy of 90 days (receipt, attached tags, and return sticker all required)?

The bag I went to return was still completely wrapped, it had never been opened. I did not have the original receipt but I bought it with my Macy's card and the little sticker they used was still attached.

1) they told me no go because I didn't have the original receipt.
*** I replied it was my Macy's card so I didn't need one.
I called Macys CS and they told me it was 180 days and as long as I had the sticker OR my Macy's card the store shouldn't need the original receipt. The CS rep told me he would mail me one and I could take that in.

2) I went back in on my way out. The Coach counter manager said no she didn't need the receipt, but since it was more than 90 days she couldn't return.
***Said it was COACH policy. [some back and forth, she finally offered to give me a merchandise credit, I refused and she put it on my card]

After she was done I remarked how strange it was that Coach would impose a particular return policy at a dept. store when the boutiques and outlets have NO time limit and she told me I was wrong. She works for Coach and if they have taken a bag back from me they made an exception. [a few back and forth and I decided to just give up as she clearly thought she was right but I KNEW I was.]

When I left I called Coach CS just to make sure it was still unlimited and there hadn't been a change and the CS rep said no still unused is unlimited.

Point of the story, I have never been so irratated as a dept. store SA, but more to the point has anyone else ever been told that Coach at Macy's had a different return policy than the 180 days they give card holders?

hmmm interesting...i know for a fact that coach receipts don't expire that's why i have been with them as a customer for ten years strong! because they always stand behind their merchandise...i would have told the macy's s.a. where she could go...and it wouldn't be a very nice place either....

Within the last few months Macy's has started writing 90 day return on the top of receipts on Coach products. I think it is a new policy with Macy's not with Coach.

Aaahh okay, so someone else has heard of this ghost policy. Okay.

Yea, I knew it much be some Macy's policy but this Macy's employee tried to convince me this was the SAME policy at a boutique. I wasn't told of this policy when I bought that bag, or any other Coach item from Macy's.

Thanks...

Wow, that's good to know. I assume Macy's is trying to cut down on getting returns on stuff that they then have to mark down. Sooo...why would I buy from Macy's and restrict myself if I could just go buy at the boutique and be able to return in an unlimited time frame should the need ever arise. Wonder if this will affect their sales any.

This is a very interesting thread, particularly to me because I buy a lot of my Coach at Macy's. The outlet, Dillard's, and Nordies nearest to me are all over 100 miles away, and of course the boutique doesn't run sales so I rely on Macy's for my fix. I haven't yet needed to return anything but this is really good info to know. Also, does that mean that if someone buys an item and returns it, Macy's can no longer sell it for full price? Because I have noticed that almost every item on their sales table has a return sticker...:shrugs:

I think it's completely absurd for them to try and impose this alleged "policy" only when you are trying to return something rather than having the policy posted somewhere on the counter and printed on your receipt. I'm glad that you fought them and didn't take their store credit.

WOW, I certainly did not know this! Thanks for posting this!! However...if they did not take the time to explain that to you, or mark the 90 days on your receipt, they have no recourse. I'm glad to learn this, although I typically just shop at Nordstrom or L&T for some reason. I rarely can find what I want at the Macys around here, albeit most of them are lower rent Macys, so I guess that's why! Guess I will be shopping for Coach there even less now!

I think it's completely absurd for them to try and impose this alleged "policy" only when you are trying to return something rather than having the policy posted somewhere on the counter and printed on your receipt. I'm glad that you fought them and didn't take their store credit.

I think it may be illegal as well. I'm pretty sure they have to post their return policy.

Also the Macy's SA does not work for Coach. They are Macy's employees.

LOL... I know that and you know that, but she apparently didn't know that.

I thought maybe because she is the COach manager perhaps she is affliated with Coach in some way until she tried to convince me that the Coach policy is 90 days. Then I knew she was full of sh*t.