Experience with a dog in a wheelchair?

Nov 30, 2008
Under a Palm Tree
Unfortunately the time has come that one of my goldens (almost 13) has to be fitted for a wheelchair due to almost near loss of the use of his back legs. This is actually my 1 dog out 2 that I thought would be the healthier one! :sad: I'm going to pickup one tonight, but was wondering if anyone has had any success with these, any tips, etc? He is otherwise pretty healthy and in really good spirits, happy, eating, etc but just not able to get around anymore due to DM (degenerative myelopathy). Hoping the chair and wheels will help him be able to get around easier in his ever decreasing time with us.

I'm worried about a few things such as not only getting him used to it and being willing to use it, but also having to stay on top of him constantly so that I can take it on and off when he needs to lay down, being able to put him in and out by myself (he's 100lbs!) as well as him being able to be groomed with this issue. We don't really go on walks anymore or to the park, it would just be more him being able to go in the backyard now without difficulty, get around inside the house, go potty, etc.

Anyone have any experiences or tips? Thanks. :flowers:

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
Ah, aging pets.
The joys & tiny miracles, mixed with heartache.

Unsure which brand you chose.
Video discusses fitting harness, etc.
Plus few good training tips.

Suggest have 2 people, at first.
To treat dog/prevent moving forward, other to attach device.
Dogs do not immediately love these things.
Unless trained positively from onset.

My personal experience is that young rehab dogs adapt well.
But older dogs, some do & some don't.
Depends upon overall condition/ attitude/ pain level.

My own senior dog hurt to have rear tumors pressed against straps--so, I let her go at immobile stage.
Your vet will be helpful. Keep asking questions.
And enjoy some sunshine with dog buddy.

Hope helps.:flowers:

Nov 30, 2008
Under a Palm Tree
Ah, aging pets.
The joys & tiny miracles, mixed with heartache.

Unsure which brand you chose.
Video discusses fitting harness, etc.
Plus few good training tips.

Suggest have 2 people, at first.
To treat dog/prevent moving forward, other to attach device.
Dogs do not immediately love these things.
Unless trained positively from onset.

My personal experience is that young rehab dogs adapt well.
But older dogs, some do & some don't.
Depends upon overall condition/ attitude/ pain level.

My own senior dog hurt to have rear tumors pressed against straps--so, I let her go at immobile stage.
Your vet will be helpful. Keep asking questions.
And enjoy some sunshine with dog buddy.

Hope helps.:flowers:

Thank you, this video helped. This is the exact cart that I am purchasing tonight for my dog so I was able to pickup a bit more tips and methods from this video over what the mfr has on their own website. Will see how it goes tomorrow!

If anyone else with a dog in a cart/ wheelchair has had any personal experience, please do continue to post as well. As this is a brand new venture for us, anything will help.

mp4

Weimanuts!
O.G.
Oct 20, 2007
I don't have anything to add, but wanted to wish you luck!

Nov 30, 2008
Under a Palm Tree
Thank you mp4, thats very kind! :flowers:

Unfortunately we haven't had much luck with the cart yet. My boy doesnt seem to like it. It is kind of awkward and difficult to use and I'm sure he feels entrapped in this monster thing, but at least I have it now for when he truly cannot get around anymore at all and we'll continue to work with him on it.