Experience buying and selling in Japanese secondhand shops?

sophiasjdu

Feb 7, 2009
Heading out to Japan soon, so excited!
I've heard a lot about the secondhand/vintage shops in Japan, I am hoping to score something unique.
Does anyone have any experience buying vintage in Japan?
Also, has anyone ever sold anything to theses Japanese secondhand shop? I'm thinking of taking with me some things I don't use often, and 'trade up‘ if I find something nice... but I can't seems to find much info on how to go about it.

I’ve bought a few, both online and when I was there. There are some stores which sell bags in really good condition, and of course you pay accordingly. The good thing is they have a rating system and respective rating is displayed in each bag. In fact, these resellers have license from the government.

In one store last year, the guy selling had a great sense of humor, that I tried asking for some discount. [emoji3] I was getting 1 bag and 1 scarf. Eventually he and his colleague obliged, after a lot of presses in the calculator.

In terms of items, some bigger stores have a section/floor dedicated to Hermes and another to LV and then all others in another section.

And I asked if I could also sell to them. He said yes. So generally, even tourists can sell. But I have no idea how much they give or how the process is.

Do share how your experience there turns out. [emoji3]

I was able to get a Chanel Medallion Caviar with Gold Hardware for $750USD and a Chloe Marcie crossbody bag for $450 USD (thereabouts) The Chanel had a hologram and dustbag but no care cards. I had this authenticated by ****************** and it was indeed authentic. I purchased them from Brand Off that issues official receipt and can be claimed for tax refund. They have branches in Tokyo and Osaka. Happy shopping!