Expensive replicas? I don't get it.

I was once "gifted" a fake from someone. I was naive to LV back then and when I found out it was fake I was so disgusted and trashed it. At that time in my life I couldn't afford to buy real, so I stuck with my Coach purses from the outlets happily. It never dawned on me that people would carry them knowingly, and it certainly never dawned on me that people would pay so much for them. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but in this case (in my opinion), it's the most direct form of profiting off of someone else's hard work and image and that just doesn't get me excited.

It is most definitely about integrity... There was a member who used to post on here years ago until someone questioned the authenticity of his items and he has since moved to Instagram where he showcases his counterfeits regularly. The sad thing is he is followed by many who appear to buy only authentic items and they supposedly cannot see the items are fake. One lady who unfollowed him actually tried to convince him that what he was doing was unethical (he would sometimes sell things on as authentic) but couldn’t get through to him. I know of others who are fully aware of his counterfeits but still follow and like his pictures, this to me also shows a lack of integrity, quite sad really...
Gosh I think I know who you are talking about.

So I was on Craig's List for my area the other day and saw an advertisement for LV replicas. The woman was selling them for between $400-500 US dollars! I couldn't get over that, and I don't quite understand.
I have boldfaced the problem in situation.
It's craigslist--where people want $599 for a broken end table, sell "purebred" puppies from their laundry rooms & solicit sex from minors.
Nothing there is sane.:shocked:
Why would its handbags conform to any sort of reasonable reality?

Your co-workers are “special” .,. A special kind of stupid....

I will never understand why anyone buys knock off or fake products. Tons of people do. I live in a place where fake coach and Michael Kors are everywhere. I’m constantly getting comments about my fake bags... I consider fakes stealing and I will never understand why people fund it....

I cringe especially hard when I see a fake Michael Kors bag. You can seriously get a real one at Marshalls for $49.

I know people who would rather pay $$$ for good replicas than buy preloved. This astounds me and I just can’t fathom it. I always refer anyone who is tempted by the idea of a replica to this section of an article by Harper’s Bazaar. Anyone who can read this and not be sickened by the counterfeit market cannot have a heart.

Attachments

• 7346DEF3-0017-4EB5-B026-AFB7B94EAEA8.jpeg
    7346DEF3-0017-4EB5-B026-AFB7B94EAEA8.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 723
I know people who would rather pay $$$ for good replicas than buy preloved. This astounds me and I just can’t fathom it. I always refer anyone who is tempted by the idea of a replica to this section of an article by Harper’s Bazaar. Anyone who can read this and not be sickened by the counterfeit market cannot have a heart.

That passage always concerns me. Its from around 2009? Its the same article extract hashed out over and over again. but to date i have never seen another report about child abuse in the fake industry, nor any other reports of factories where it occurs or any actual visible proof. Surely with everyone having smartphones this would be easy to get. This might have happened at one time but is it still?
I keep reading and doing my own research on the topic, looking for the new evidence and actual footage, photos. I mostly come across articles talking about the money lost by the brand, or workers loosing out on jobs because of the fake industry. There has been a huge magnifying glass on the clothing industry the last few years and we do see lot of picture of workers showing us the garments they make from well know brands and the poor income they make. Still no fake bags being made by kids. So the factories are out there, probably being made by adults for poor wages. I came across an article that mentioned how this same quote was being hashed out over & over as well, but it then went on to talk about most factories being worked by adults and more concerned with low wages.
I'm not as concerned with workers being paid poorly for making cheap bags, i worry more about fake drugs being made in these same underdeveloped countries and sold in the black market. Drugs that are essentially poison. Apparently this is the largest of all the fake markets, not bags, not iphones or dvds, but drugs!!! that should concern more people.

That passage always concerns me. Its from around 2009? Its the same article extract hashed out over and over again. but to date i have never seen another report about child abuse in the fake industry, nor any other reports of factories where it occurs or any actual visible proof. Surely with everyone having smartphones this would be easy to get. This might have happened at one time but is it still?
I keep reading and doing my own research on the topic, looking for the new evidence and actual footage, photos. I mostly come across articles talking about the money lost by the brand, or workers loosing out on jobs because of the fake industry. There has been a huge magnifying glass on the clothing industry the last few years and we do see lot of picture of workers showing us the garments they make from well know brands and the poor income they make. Still no fake bags being made by kids. So the factories are out there, probably being made by adults for poor wages. I came across an article that mentioned how this same quote was being hashed out over & over as well, but it then went on to talk about most factories being worked by adults and more concerned with low wages.
I'm not as concerned with workers being paid poorly for making cheap bags, i worry more about fake drugs being made in these same underdeveloped countries and sold in the black market. Drugs that are essentially poison. Apparently this is the largest of all the fake markets, not bags, not iphones or dvds, but drugs!!! that should concern more people.

I struggle to believe that Harper’s would put something into print that was complete fabrication, and that a book could also be published. The article may be old but it still exists on the web and surely it would have been pulled if it couldn’t be substantiated. I’m not sure how you’ve seen no evidence of child labour in the counterfeit market. I’m in the UK and have seen several tv documentaries showing footage of the exploitation of children in this industry. Either way, it’s a known fact that the counterfeit market in general also funds human trafficking, drug running and even terrorism. It’s illegal and is to be avoided at all costs, bags or otherwise!

Reactions: pikaachuu
Hmmmm, I have never bought a replica, which I understand are different than “fake,” because a replica does not have the designer’s name on it. But still, it is stealing a designer’s art and copyright. I think I would rather save for the real thing, be it new, used, or a designer than goes on sale or can be bought new from Farfetch but a lower price and no taxes.

Hmmmm, I have never bought a replica, which I understand are different than “fake,” because a replica does not have the designer’s name on it. But still, it is stealing a designer’s art and copyright. I think I would rather save for the real thing, be it new, used, or a designer than goes on sale or can be bought new from Farfetch but a lower price and no taxes.

Nah, if it says “replica,” it’s just a nicer way of saying “fake.”

I had a client who told me (twice, for some reason??) she had bought a $2,000 knock-off Birkin, and literally said it was just to show off at parties. She’s wealthy enough and obviously could probably have bought a real one, but the bag itself was not the point, it was the image.

Have also heard tell of a woman who bought a fancy car whose bags are all fake, because (she thought) people would assume the bags were real since the car was. It’s all appearances for some people.

i don’t think her posts contradicts her statement, she referenced china as a country where there are no animal rights, in this case we are speaking about a political/animal rights issue
the post didn’t say anything about race, people who wear fur come from a variety of countries and ethnic backgrounds.
then norway and japan are countries that allowed the killing of whales, again we are speaking about countries and the political organisations that allow this not about an ethnic group
australia has an appalling record re:greyhounds and their treatment, will you considered this fact as racist towards all australians?