Expensive nail polish

I mostly buy Avon or No 7 nail polishes. I am an Avon representative and I find the polish very hardwearing and they have really improved their colour selection in the last couple of years and bring out many more "on-trend" colours. I buy No 7 because Boots in the UK often do a free £5 off voucher, so I can pick up their polishes for under £2. I sometimes buy OPI because I love dark nail colours and they have a good selection. I own a few Chanel polishes that were given to me as gifts, but to be honest, I find my Chanel ones chip the easiest.

I would say firstly to look for the type of colours that you would wear or that suit your skintone and then buy one drugstore and one Chanel or another premium brand and try them out. You will then find out if paying more is worth it.

i own mostly Essie and bought my first Chanel polish over the weekend. Essie lasts a really long time and maintains its color, and I get it at about $8 at Target. I have to say though that I just put the Chanel on last night, and it is the easiest polish I have ever put on. I am terrible at painting nails and the Chanel polish made it easy for me. impressed!

To be honest, ease of use and formula can make a difference on how your nail polishes look! These are sometimes reflected in the price (Chanel vs. Rimmel)
I agree with PinkDiamond. Buy all three with similiar colors (if the wallet allows!) and see how they go on and last. More often than not, the pricier ones (with a good top coat) will be worth the cost!

I used to buy Chanel polishes a few years ago because I liked the exclusivity of buying a limited edition color. I soon learned after spending about $200 on polishes that they chip way faster than any other brand I owned. I started paying attention to OPI around that time, and found that the polish stayed on longer, and they often had very close dupes of Chanel colors that I'd been buying. I stopped buying Chanel after that, and now I really only buy Essie, OPI or Sally Hansen. I think the Sally Hansen hard as nails or diamond collections are really nice, normally cheaper than OPI or Essie, and those two collections have good formulas, since some of her other collections I don't like nearly as much. I think people get roped into buying a brand name (not saying that I'm excluded from doing this) which is why high end make up does so well, even though they may be owned by the same company, or they themselves may own a drugstore brand. Like I know YSL is owned by the same group that is behind Estee Lauder and L'Oreal, and Chanel and Bourjois are owned by the same cosmetic group also. Makes you wonder how much difference there really is behind the formula's of the makeup we buy.

Great info here ladies! I am not one to purchase polishes a lot, but when I see a color I love, I snap it up. I love Chanel for the beautiful shades, unique, and the bottle has the fabulous Chanel logo. :smile:

I have picked up the sinful colors brand at Walgreens...maybe 2 bucks each...lovely color that lasts on me. I have natural nails, so polish is quick to chip on me, even with some of the products made to slow the chipping. (I am a lotion junkie, so that may be part of it!)

Others brands I use are China Glaza and OPI - what my salon stocks/uses.

Long post, love to talk beauty...but one if the reasons I indulge on the on pricier ones are to feel special, pampered, and a little treat to myself.

I :heart: manicures and pedicures! One of my little indulgences year-round.

I'm a bit of a nail polish addict. My favorite brands, and really the only brands I use, are: OPI, Essie, Rescue Beauty Lounge and Chanel.

The Chanel ones are quite pricey, but I've always had really good luck with them and really enjoy some of their "different" colors.

Rescue Beauty Lounge polishes are some of the best quality polishes I've ever used. They stay on FOREVER and while the color selection isn't as big as OPI or Essie, they are all so wearable.

I find zoya to be my best brand... they are $7 a bottle and they wear the best for me. I've recently bought rescue beauty lounge polishes but haven't found them to be that amazing... sadly! OPI and CG and Essie and all those are okay but I prefer zoya and the zoya wears better for me. I've never tried chanel polish but was not too impressed with lancome polish.

I'm a huge fan of Essie and surprisingly Sally Hansen. I use to be a big on OPI but the brush they decided to switch to isn't for me- I find it to be way to wide. Essie tends to last a lot longer and is fairly priced. I can usually find them at $15 for 3 or I buy the ones on sale ($4 max) since they're usually discontinued or hard to find colors. Sally Hansen Complete Manicure (range btwn $6.50-$8) and the Insta Dri Fast Dry line($3.50-$4.00) are my top drugstore pick ups. Great colors, affordable prices, and long lasting. If you have a Rite-Aid around your way you can catch them on sale- either buy one get one free or buy one get the other 50% off.

i like opi, but then again, its expensive again here in Australia
i use chanel as well, but its not as durable as opi.

another note, i think you should invest in a good top coat and base coat as well.
what i have learned here, by using a good base and top coat, nail polish should be more durable and chip resistant.

I've tried many many brands and recently got an $18 bottle of Deborah Lippman's Across the Universe - I have never received so many compliments! I also have a couple Chanel shades and get lots of attention when I wear Nouvelle Vague, but the formula is lacking, in my opinion. It goes on streaky and chips easily. I have OPI polishes that apply better than the Chanel, so it's hit or miss, no matter what the price! For a $20 bottle of polish, I expect more, but they do offer some pretty edgy shades for the price.

Definitely guilty of purchasing Chanel polishes (I'm a sucker for the colors) but I'll give any brand a try.... Essie is definitely one of my favorites (around $8.00-$8.50) and I've been buying a lot of Chinaglaze lately (I think it's roughly the same price but often goes on sale at Sally Beauty)...I like OPI too... for me it's all about the colors available, forumula and brush too but mostly color.