expensive hair straightener? advice?

hungry4ever0

Nov 1, 2008
i have a GHD and i cut my long hair off up to my shoulders so i could start out with healthier hair. now that my hair is healthy i want it to grow out long AND healthy, and im afraid that if i use the ghd it will slowly damage over time and be back to the way it was. i paid over 200 for this iron and i feel like it is a waste for me to have it if it will damage my healthy hair. are there any other irons that are more expensive than the ghd that i dont know about-and that do less damage to the hair? if anyone has any advice on keeping hair healthy while straightening it that would be helpful.

You need some heat spray. I use Tresemme, since I was in the same boat last year and I read something back then saying that this stuff was the most bang for your buck. There's tons of different ones though, from Redken to John Frieda, just make sure that you're using one!

I also use Dove heat defense shampoo/conditioner every couple of days. I don't use it daily since I don't blow dry/straighten daily, but I try to use it on the days that I think I will. Make sure at the very least to at least grab a conditioner that is going to put the moisture back in your hair though.

Also, do you blow dry and then straighten? If so, you're doing twice the amount of damage. Try to air dry before straightening, it'll help cut back on the damage.

ETA if you're finding that at the end of the day your hair feel "rough" try spraying in some leave in conditioner. It should help tide your hair over until you're able to properly condition it. This is what I need to do sometimes, by my hair is weird. It gets so freaking oily looking, but it's dry as heck half the time.

Attachments

• tresemme.jpg
    tresemme.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 128
You can use the iron, just be careful with it. Don't use it daily or on the highest setting (I don't know if GHDs have adjustable heat settings). Use a heat protectant product. Don't go over and over the same section of hair if you can avoid it. Make sure you use a good shampoo and conditioner. I wear my hair straight every day, but I only wash my hair about twice a week, so I only have to flat iron on those days.

For heat protection, I'm currently using One 'n Only Moroccan Oil. I've also used Rusk serum, Kenra Platinum Spray (made my hair really stiff), Redken Iron Silk (which was my favorite), and Chi Silk Infusion.

using any kind of iron on your hair constantly will probably damage it in some way.
however using something like the GHD does help A LOT. i used to buy cheapy revlons and when i switched to SEDU and GHD i noticed a HUGE difference.

definitely go for the GHD and buy a heat protector spray

I use the GHD almost everyday and I experimented with not using the heat protector spray for a week --> there was definitely a difference in the texture of my hair.

Have to bump up this thread to ask a question: I LOVE my GHD but even though it's pretty incredible, it still takes a while for me to straighten 20 + minutes because I have such long thick hair- nearly waste length.

Lately I have been thinking, should I buy a 2" professional GHD, would that maybe cut down stylist time ? I really don't have much time to get ready in the morning as often during school year I either pull all nighters especially during exams or sleep 5-6 hours on a regular basis.

I have a chi and it works pretty well. I use either chi's line of heat products or I use a heat spray from a local salon in my area. I also try and only straighten my hair on special occasions or at least every other day or every two days. I wear it scrunched with product or put up in a pony tail if I dont wash my hear every day. hope that helps.

P.S. I have very thick coarse semi straight hair that is very poofy if I dont straighten it. I find that the chi serum really helps my frizziness and fly aways :P