Expecting perfection when you buy from the boutique?

mrs_jlp

May 21, 2020
Hi all!

I want to preface this by saying that I think my poor experience recently has clouded my mind and making me think about things perhaps a bit too critically!

I've been buying preloved for years and now in a place where I can buy straight from LV. I've been lusting over a Speedy B bag for years and decided to treat myself to a Speedy B25 DE for my birthday. I went to my local LV boutique in NYC and honestly was so excited that I didn't inspect the bag super closely. When I got home, I realized that the hardware had many deep chips (like the handles and rings had black marks) and had other obvious signs of wear, like a lock that looked like it went through war. I went back to exchange the next day and a different SA was shocked I was even sold this bag. My first bag came off the floor and looking at it now, it definitely has been used.

The SA went in the back and told me he had a "brand new" Speedy (date code says it was made in January). I gave it an inspection and things looked so much better than the first. When I got home, I went through it like a fine toothed comb and noticed some scratches on the hardware. Everything else about the bag (as far as I can tell) looks gorgeous.

I guess this is a bigger conversation - is it fair to expect perfection? I've attached photos of the scratches in question - they are minimal but I'm just not used to buying things straight from LV so I'm not sure what I should be expecting. I just don't know if it's worth going through ANOTHER exchange. Would I have better luck ordering online?

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

Your first experience was horrible and unacceptable.. but your replacement bag looks fine. If you hadn't circled those details I probably wouldn't have noticed anything.

To answer your question: I've come to learn/accept that perfection is a myth, even in luxury bags. If you aren't happy with your bag you should try to exchange it again but I honestly think it looks fine. Full disclosure though: I am not as easily bothered as most people I've found on here.

Your first experience was horrible and unacceptable.. but your replacement bag looks fine. If you hadn't circled those details I probably wouldn't have noticed anything.

To answer your question: I've come to learn/accept that perfection is a myth, even in luxury bags. If you aren't happy with your bag you should try to exchange it again but I honestly think it looks fine. Full disclosure though: I am not as easily bothered as most people I've found on here.

Same. I probably would not be bothered by bag #2.

I also keep expectations realistic. Expecting perfection can send someone into a mission to find something wrong that really isn't an issue - in the name of perfection. And that mission can make someone go nuts (buy and exchange/return multiple times).

My personal practice with LV or anything else I spend my hard-earned money on: Expect solid quality but don't expect perfection.

Same here! Bag #2 is totally fine for me.

I've bought a few display pieces before because I wanted it so badly and it's either I take it or risking not having it at all.

I guess it's what makes you happy at the end.

If these "defects" bothers you that much till your heart's not at peace, I'd say you know the answer to it.

Everyone is different and it's your money after all.

Bags are sewn and made by people and machines, they will all have a problem if you look hard enough, so perfection isn't possible imo. Maybe you're actually more comfortable buying preloved, where the bag already has some wear. Just because you can buy new doesn't mean you have to - maybe you're a preloved person at heart? :heart: :tup: Even though I can afford new I still buy 99% preloved - I actually want someone else to have used a bag first so that first mark or scratch doesn't matter as much.

Your replacement bag looks fine to me. I have OCD, so I am picky on my bag. I never buy display item. I will check my bag and always ask for other pieces to compare. But after so many buying luxury, I can tolerate some of the “imperfections”. Based on my experience, perfection doesn’t exist so far. Even Chanel and Hermes also have small/tiny flaws here and there. If I like the bag and the bag is hard to get, I will accept it. Small flaws will not ruin the bag function.
If you are not happy with the bag, you can try to exchange again. But my suggestion is to use it and love it. Good luck dear..

Reactions: mocktail
I’m going to give my unpopular opinion and challenge the notion of not expecting perfection. While the definition of perfection can vary, I think customers have been lowering their expectations which led to poor quality control. Hermes products are as perfect as they can get. People say they can find imperfections if they look hard enough and I challenge people to do that. The price on the other hand...it’s another issue. Would people expect chipped hardware from hermes? I don’t think so. People always use the this is handmade excuse. I’m sorry but using your hand running through machine is not the same as handmade through hand stitching. I learn to enjoy LV because I adjusted my expectation and radically accepted their poor quality control but it doesn’t mean “perfection” doesn’t exist because it surely does in other brands.

Reactions: Antigone
Do I expect perfection when buying at the store? No..... I don't. The store is where I am able to physically see the items I'm interested in, to answer my questions about specifics...is this the right size for my frame? Will my large phone fit in this ? How far does the bag drop on my shoulder ? Is it heavy? .... The items are repeatedly man-handled all day long by the public and so eventually wear and tear will show on these things if they are not bought quickly. I keep this in mind whenever I find something at the boutique that is not available online and then it becomes a question of whether or not I find the item in acceptable condition for it to become part of my collection. The key is to take the time to physically inspect it thoroughly prior to taking it home.

I think the OP and buyers of luxury goods should have a reasonable expectation of premium quality, since the purchase comes with a premium price tag. I don’t mean perfection, since that’s subjective.

Many years ago, I managed a high end, one could say luxury, boutique for children. Clothing, shoes, accessories, furniture, nursery, etc. I would not allow anything on my sales floor or merchandise sold from backstock that didn’t meet quality standards. If it was snagged, mis-stitched, chipped, not glued properly, stained, scratched, etc. it was not sold- it was damaged out- period. My clients expected that of me and my staff. We didn’t accept refunds- exchange or store credit only and only if in new, unused, unworn, unwashed, saleable condition. No exceptions. We had an incredibly low exchange/store credit rate because of these standards.

When someone purchases something they’ve wanted for a long time, or saved up for, and is relatively expensive (like the $1600 Speedy B) they should expect the product to be in new/saleable condition, QC checked and passed before it’s rung up. It shouldn’t be sold damaged or used. That’s not just the client‘s responsibility, but the CA’s responsibility too. Mistakes do happen and things may get missed- we’re all human. But you’re paying a premium for a luxury good so the product and buying experience should be premium too!!

OP, your bag choice is beautiful-I hope it brings you joy for many years!!