Exotic skins bag?

Vicky2007

Chanel * Bal * LV
O.G.
Jan 2, 2007
It makes me feel sick every time I saw exotic skin bags like snakeskins, croc, phyton, ........ etc. They are always expensive and some people think it's classy but for me I felt bad every time I touched it. :sad:

What's your opinion about it? and your thought?

I don't own any exotics only because they tend to be pricier and more delicate. To Rondafaye's point, I like the feel of soft leather....but I also don't like the feel of scales on exotics!

I totally understand the OP. I personally like the feel of some exotics. I have never purchased any exotics but I think I would like to get one soon. However, I would never ever, under any circumstances wear fur!!!

It is easy to forget that while the method of obtaining exotics may seem more cruel in many cases, dead is dead. Cows experience fear and anxiety and panic upon approaching a slaughterhouse, and many of them are treated horribly inhumanely (remember the video that was released recently about "downer" cows?). People often eat things that go through horrible torture before ending up on our plates (veal, lobster, pate, etc.), too.

In the big scheme of things, I'm just saying it is difficult to cling to a moral highground by not wearing or carrying exotics if a person wears leather or eats anything with questionable living conditions prior to slaughter. Ultimately, most handbags, meals and many articles of clothing involve cruelty at some level, so I think it all comes down to personal preference. If you like exotics, carry them; if you don't, don't.

First off, I know that in a forum with this many posters there's no way that everyone could possibly agree. It's like politics....:rolleyes: but putting in my two cents is that I hate exotics. I really feel that at this point, putting alligator claws and ostrich skin and all kinds of animals all over my bags is really offensive. I don't look at it as a 'rich expensive' look, I don't really even think that the different textures are all that pretty - but to me, I see some poacher killed some animal that was probably not SUPPOSED to be killed just to make a buck on a bag. :s

In this day and age when everyone's so concerned about the Earth and it's future and whatnot and what we're handing down to our kids to see animal skins on bags just is so gross to me.

And believe me, I'm no Birkenstock-wearing, granola-crunching recycling every tin can and glass bottle, but I just find it a little offensive.....I love leather though, so there you go. The ultimate hypocrite? :sad:

But that's just MY two cents. To each to his/her own....:sweatdrop:

^^I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Other than my bags and my shoes, I pretty much live a vegan lifestyle. I do not consume anything that comes from animal cruelty including clothing, food, skin care, makeup. At the same time, I simply can't let go of my love of handbags and shoes. I often feel like a hypocrite too.

sorry v . . . . despite a shared love of chanel & lv, looks like i disagree with you on that one. i *loooooveee* exotics of all kinds (except maybe ostrich, the bumps scare me sometimes! :P) but my python pumps are probably my fave shoes of all time, and i baby my crocodile bottega like crazy! love fur too . . . . :girlsigh:

:yes:Yeah interesting. I don't eat cows but I do wear them. This may sound horrible but well people will always eat cows so well gotta do something with the skin right? Yeah no Christmas cards from PETA for me either. Lambskins... oh those Chanel quilted bags are so soft... Exotics - hmmm I don't like them. Hey there is that strange guy on the travel channel that eats really weird (gross) things - he probably eats broiled lizard from time to time so you know maybe those exotics were killed for more reasons other than fashion... hmmmm

I also feel a bit uncomfortable about exotics, and I don't own anything except leather. Leather is ok for me because at least the rest of a cow is used (e.g. food); it's less likely for exotics. Fortunately, I don't really care for most exotic skins.

Love them. Prefer the materials natural to artificial materials that is bad for the environment.

:confused1: I'm not sure that nylon et al are that much worse for the environment than raising/killing animals only for their skin -- it still takes resources to raise those animals and treat the skins. Not trying to pick on you, but I just wanted to point out that "natural" isn't always automatically better.