Executive level interview @ new comapny..which bag

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
Planning my attire for a job interview and trying to determine which bag to carry. I want it to read sophisticated, professional and not flashy.
The role is an executive level position with a new company. the position is in a conservative industry but i don't know how conservative their organizational culture is. My choices are either a YSL chyc cabas (large) in black or my graphite ( dark gray) Prada saffiano lux tote 1844. The alternative to both of these is buying a new bag which I am not really interested in doing but will if I have to.

Either would work I think. I'd choose the YSL though because of the colour and the fact that the brand name is not actually written on it if you don't want be flashy (but I don't think the Prada is flashy anyway)

For me, I always carry a very modest and understated bag for the interview because most of the time we are almost already judged at the point of the reception desk. To play safe, perhaps something with a smaller logo, darker colour. I remember I carries a prada dark grey bag, almost like a executive tote for the interview which allows me to carry some A4 size paper without looking too messy.

Most of the time it works pretty well.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

I don't know what those bags look like by name, but I'd say you want to go with understated hardware, a neutral color and on the smaller side, unless you are using a tote or brief for a notebook, resume copies, etc.

Either would be a good choice IMO. I work in investment banking, which is one of the last hold-outs of conservative formal business attire, and I think you wouldn't go wrong with either. Perhaps you can decide based on which one best holds the documents and other materials you are bringing along. Also, pick the one you're most comfortable carrying, so you're minimizing any additional stress, no matter how small.

Do you know if you are interviewing with a man or woman? I think men in general are less in tune to designer labels. Women on the other hand will most likely be able to spot a YSL v Prada v whatever. I hate to say this, as a woman, but some women can be very catty and judgemental. You don't want your potential boss or colleagues making unfounded assumptions based on the bag that you carry, rather the focus should be on you! When I started working 20+ years ago the conventional wisdom was that you shouldn't carry a briefcase or wear a suit that was more expensive than your bosses. Don't know if this rule is still followed but I think it is still a good general rule of thumb. So for these reasons, I wouldn't carry either YSL or Prada, but a much less recognizable and discreet brand.

I think both of those are nice understated bags. If you are worried about the interviewer judging the logos, maybe you could wear your bag backwards with the logo tucked in toward your body?