Exchanges In Another State

GiggleBunny

Mar 31, 2012
I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this? I purchased a bag in Hawaii a few days ago and upon returning home, I noticed some markings on my bag that will not come off. When I purchased the bag, the SA assured me it was a new bag not used for display. I'm actually quite shocked she didn't notice these markings herself because they are very obvious. I am now back in my home state California and was wondering if I could exchange the bag for another one at my local boutique. The Hawaii price is lower and I'm hoping I won't be charged the difference for exchanging it in my home state.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this? I purchased a bag in Hawaii a few days ago and upon returning home, I noticed some markings on my bag that will not come off. When I purchased the bag, the SA assured me it was a new bag not used for display. I'm actually quite shocked she didn't notice these markings herself because they are very obvious. I am now back in my home state California and was wondering if I could exchange the bag for another one at my local boutique. The Hawaii price is lower and I'm hoping I won't be charged the difference for exchanging it in my home state.

I haven't exchanged in another state, but I have a feeling they'll have to charge you California tax. If so, maybe call the sa in Hawaii and see if she can do an even exchange for it and send it to you.

Reactions: BleuSaphir
I haven't exchanged in another state, but I have a feeling they'll have to charge you California tax. If so, maybe call the sa in Hawaii and see if she can do an even exchange for it and send it to you.

Thanks for the help nashpoo! You were right. I had to pay the tax difference.

I want to share the dizzying experience I had today in hopes that it'll be helpful for some of you out there. I purchased a Sylvie leather mini chain bag in Honolulu last week. When I purchased the bag, I asked the SA if they had any new ones that weren't used for display and the SA said there was just one last one in the back and boxed it up for me. When I arrived home and unboxed all the goodies I had purchased, I noticed that the bag had some markings that I couldn't wipe away and the chain detail on the front was scratched. I couldn't believe it so I texted the SA I had in Honolulu informing her I wanted to exchange for a new bag. I sent her pictures of these markings and she informed me it was a manufacturing defect so she contacted the store in my hometown. They placed a bag on hold for me and all I had to do was bring it in and they'll do an even exchange.

When I went in today hoping that I could just exchange the defected bag and be on my way, the SA informed me I wouldn't be able to because the bag had been used! I was taken aback because I purchased it just 6 days before and the only time this bag was taken out of the box was the initial unboxing after flying home and noticing those markings and scratches. The manager came out and told me the exact same thing explaining how they are trained to notice these things and with the bag being in the condition that it was in, it shouldn't have been sold in the first place and that there was no way I could exchange it for a new one. I couldn't believe what the manager was telling me because I was under the impression that these were defects (according to the Honolulu SA). I had also specifically requested a new bag when I made the purchase, the SA had informed me my bag was new and now I would be stuck with a bag that I was extremely unhappy with.

I immediately contacted the SA I had in Honolulu because I was so shocked by what this store was telling me. The manager and the SA went back and forth for some time. Some of the conversation bits I picked up on the manager's side were "how could you sell this bag? Was it just to make a sale?" In the end, my home store remedied the situation by allowing me to exchange the bag for a new one but didn't allow for an even exchange. I had to pay the tax difference and have the bag be marked final sale. I figured this was the least hassle solution. I didn't want to deal with the stress of the situation anymore and couldn't trust the SA I had in Honolulu.

Here are some images of the markings. I didn't snap any of the scratches but just the markings alone was justification for me to want to exchange the bag.

20181022_090616.jpg 20181022_090954.jpg