Exchange for azur or take the store credit?

I would keep it or exchange it for the azur or ebene..the eva is classier and more stylish than the pochette...and especially your in-laws got it for you - they will be happy to see you using it and then may end up getting you more/bigger/better Vuitton at some point:graucho: I would hold off on the complete return this first time - maybe later it would be more comfortable doing so.

Considering it was a gift from the future in laws....I really would keep it & not risk hurting any feelings. I dont know what financial situation they are in but a $500 gift is still a $500 gift.They went out of their way to get you something they thought you would appreciate & enjoy. It is a shame you prefer something else but at the end it was a gift not a personal purchase that you are having doubts & wanting to return.KWIM.

The practical thing would be to exchange/return. The gracious route would be to keep it & maybe use it in their presence once or twice. In the future maybe you could sell it quietly & use the money for something else.
I agreeeeee

op- i already responded, but I'm still thinking about it..

I really, really think that you should NOT exchange or return for store credit!

A gift from a bf, husband, close friend etc...that is something that you can exchange. But from the IN-LAWS?? No way, wouldn't do it. Believe me, my in laws have bought me some HORRID gifts (polyester, elastic waist pant suits come to mind lol) but I would never return or exchange them.

They bought it for you, and they picked it for you, and I think that to return it would really be a slap in the face to them.

And exchanging for store credit would be the worst decision, because that's like saying, "Thanks, but I didn't want it...and I didn't want anything, so I just returned it for nothing." I can pretty much guarantee that if you do that, it will be the last LV they ever get you.

You are VERY lucky that you have in laws that bought you an LV...that's a fabulous gift, and REALLY thoughtful. And while many gift givers just want the recipient to be happy with their purchase, it would still be hurtful to them to find that you didn't want the gift at all.

I really think that you should keep it, and wear it proudly around them, and let them know how much you appreciate and love their kind gesture. If you really hate it, at the very most exchange it for the azur...but I definitely wouldn't return for store credit.

I would keep it or exchange it for the azur or ebene..the eva is classier and more stylish than the pochette...and especially your in-laws got it for you - they will be happy to see you using it and then may end up getting you more/bigger/better Vuitton at some point:graucho: I would hold off on the complete return this first time - maybe later it would be more comfortable doing so.

This is not the first piece of LV they have given me. They have given me my Sprouse graffiti speedy and my koala wallet... I happily kept those! I honestly think that my FIL asked the SA what would look good on someone tiny and the SA suggested the Eva, because everyone agreed when I modeled it that the strap was ridiculously long. I don't think MIL would be offended per se, but I do think she feels slightly bad that it didn't look right... She's not used to having to think about what looks good on short people, lol.

I ended up taking the store credit because when I went to exchange the Northbrook location had absolutely nothing in stock. To add insult to injury, the webstore wouldn't let me use my gift card so I couldn't order the azur last night.

I would keep it. Maybe it's my upbringing also, but I think that exchanging a gift is rather rude. Of course, it completely depends on your in laws.

If they wouldn't care, and would only want you to have something you like, then exchanging would be fine. But if that was the case, they would have just given you a LV gift card, right?

It seems like they picked it for you, and thought that it would be nice. Use it for cosmetics, or keep it and only use it once in a while (I have bags that I use way less than once a month!)

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I definitely think you should keep it.

i totally agree. maybe you can sell the pochette you already have so you don't feel like you have two items that are very similar.

I would never exchange or return a gift given to me by my In Laws. Sell your Mono Pochette and enjoy the gift that they gave you. I am sure they put a lot of thought into your gift and will get great pleasure seeing their daughter in law carrying it.

It is bigger than the gift. Believe me.

i totally agree. maybe you can sell the pochette you already have so you don't feel like you have two items that are very similar.

That was exactly what I suggested!

Ouch:sad:
You took it back even though they had nothing you wanted.
Like someone said earlier....some of us married "older" girls that have been walking the very thin line of keeping peace with the in-laws know a thing....or twenty about how things work with the MIL. Had your MIL been okay with you exchanging it she wouldve offered to do so when she saw the strap was too long, she offered to pay for LV to adjust the strap but did not give you the go ahead for taking it back.You need to learn how to read into things.

Personally I would be a bit offended,& next time that I think of a gift for my "future" daughter in law Ill go with a Dyson from Bed,Bath & Beyond.....after all why make it personal & thoughtful if chances are its going back?

You were practical but practical is not always the way to go....especially when a good relationship with the MIL is on the line. Trust me this whole "she took it back deal" WILL come up at SOME point. They dont call us older married woman "experienced" for nothing:winkiss:

I got a few battle scars from the former MIL, and shes got some of mine.....this time around I learned its better to be gracious & appreciative...it always works out in my favor especially in the long run.

This was not your first LV they gave you, consider yourself one LUCKY future dil! Hope there are still more LVs to come from your inlaws after you've tie the knot and return the thoughtful unappreciative gift. That's not cool!

how about exchanging it for the damier ebene version?

Update: I had the STL store hold the azur Eva for me since they also wouldn't ship (side note: what is with LV not shipping with gift card purchases?) and my fiance picked it up for me today. :yahoo:

My fiance swears that his parents don't care about the exchange. My FIL is the big shopper (it's his only hobby, he loves it) and he usually brings home the bags to MIL (she hates shopping outside of Channukah time, then she usually does go to LV and will buy multiples for gifts). So when my fiance told his mother that I exchanged it for the blue and white checkerboard, she said "I didn't even know that it came in that color!"

We'll be going to Chicago several times over the next few months for wedding planning/parties so I'll make sure to wear the Eva.

I think you have an "out" because your fiance said it looks like your other one. One option would be to exchange it for the Azur one.

Or, you could also go the "blame your fiance" route and tell him how you feel - maybe add a few hundred and get a bigger bag that you WILL use-- he can always vouch for you and tell them HE exchanged it for a bigger one since you have almost the same one anyway. I don't think I'd exchange it for accessories - that would be too obvious.

I believe in the etiquette that you always accept gifts graciously but return/exchange for something you will use and like. I've had way too many gifts sitting in my closet that I hated and "felt bad" to exchange.

I don't even let my DH pick out jewelry anymore (not that he showers me with it but....) I have a totally different taste than he does. I just tell him what I want now......I think jewelry, clothing, handbags, -- that's personal taste.