Excessive Shipping Charges?

ninth

Jan 26, 2008
Excessive Shipping Charges?
I recently bought an item through bonanzle, after waiting three weeks i finally got my item, it took so long cause it went through customs

anyways the seller charged me $40 for shipping, we agreed on a flat rate box via priorty USPS that's why i agreed to pay so much,
however the box arrived in a regular brown box and there's a postmark on it with the number '13.83', so i assumed the seller found a cheaper method instead, but when i contacted the seller asking if they could refund me the difference since it was cheaper than she thought it would cost she told me that the postage cost more than $30

so does this postmark show that the cost to ship was '13.83' or is it some arbitrary number?

Attachments

• 019v2.jpg
    019v2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 020v2.jpg
    020v2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 128
When I first started selling, I wasn't sure about shipping prices, so I just put what I thought was reasonable due to the size of the item. Once, I charged too much, the buyer contacted me, and I refunded her. However, I have morals, but your seller may not.

I had another seller that I bought a pair of pants from, charged me 7 bucks shipping, then shipped it via media mail for only 3.00. I asked for a refund, no response....so I left negative feedback.

i just want to know if this seller overcharged me, since she did sound like a nice buyer in her messages, i didn't want to accuse her of something she didn't do
but overcharging me $25 is a little extreme
and then lying about it.....

all my usps parcels have the shipping cost on them, but this parcel had a little bit of a different format, so i wasn't sure what the '13.83' meant,

i guess she also shipped it via first class instead of priority, since i did check the usps site to check shipping cost before hand, and 13.83 is very close to the cost of first class parcel for this package

i'm going to try to file a dispute with paypal

i just want to know if this seller overcharged me, since she did sound like a nice buyer in her messages, i didn't want to accuse her of something she didn't do

all my usps parcels have the shipping cost on them, but this parcel had a little bit of a different format, so i wasn't sure what the '13.83' meant,

i guess she also shipped it via first class instead of priority, since i did check the usps site to check shipping cost before hand, and 13.83 is very close to the cost of first class parcel for this package,

Yes, 13.83 is the cost of your postage and it does look pretty much in line with first-class parcel postage.

You can't file a dispute over postage cost with Paypal.

p-WA

i guess she also shipped it via first class instead of priority, since i did check the usps site to check shipping cost before hand, and 13.83 is very close to the cost of first class parcel for this package

The $13.83 COULD have been just the cost of the postage and in addition to that, she paid extra for insurnace and signature confirmation? I know at my PO when they weigh it, they put that actual postage label on the package, and then do the insurnace and other charges on the receipt slip that they give you back?

Yes, I agree. The 13.83 may not include the cost to insure the item (that can get very $$$) nor the cost to send it with insurance, etc. Also, please keep in mind that (I am guessing since you said something about customs) that her EXCHANGE RATES may be different, too.

i live in Canada, so the dollar is almost at par
there was no insurance, since after waiting two weeks i thought that my parcel might have been lost and i contacted her, she said she didn't purchase insurance

there's no signature confirmation, since i had to pay customs Canada Post added that onto the parcel after inspecting it
so basically there were no extra options purchased

but since she didn't ship using the method we agreed upon, isn't that grounds for dispute? i opted for the safer priority shipping and wanted to avoid first class, hence the higher shipping cost, she didn't carry out her part of the agreement for the goods and services which i had paid for

Last edited:
but since she didn't ship using the method we agreed upon, isn't that grounds for dispute?

No. Grounds for dislute are either Item Not Received (INR) or Item Significantly not as Described (SNAD).

You have received the item so INR is out.

With SNAD you may be required to ship the item back at your own expense. Also, you need a valid reason for a SNAD. Is the item flawed in any way?

Your best course of action is give the seller a big fat negative.

p-WA

Have you emailed the seller yet to ask why she charged you so much for shipping? Perhaps she will be willing to refund you the overage and you wont have to open a dispute.

unfortunately, if you bought it on Bonanzle, I don't even think you can file a SNAD (and even if you bought it on ebay, I don't think it's grounds for an SNAD). You only have limited coverage on paypal when you buy "off-ebay" - i.e., Non Delivery would be grounds for a dispute.

I would definitely contact the seller and ask about the postage - you still leave FB for sellers on Bonanzle, so you could ask her for a refund of half of what you paid (which still allows a little extra for time/supplies) and if she refuses, explain to her that you're disappointed and the FB that you leave for her will include the excessive s&h charge

ETA: What is the Green form attached to the pkg for? Is that the customs form or is that a certified/registered mail receipt?

ETA: What is the Green form attached to the pkg for? Is that the customs form or is that a certified/registered mail receipt?

Looks like the customs form to me.

Here's what I think is reasonable:
Postage alone: $13
Packaing: $2
Handling fee: $2
Total: $17

I would say requesting for a refund of $10 would be reasonable since she didn't ship as agreed. I'm not familiar with the Bonazale fb system but you're allowed to give 1/5 stars for shipping on ebay fb.

Try asking her for it.

Confession: I have, on a few ocassions, severely overcharged shipping in order to save fees. I explained to my buyer who agreed to it because I agreed to give her a small discount off the savings. Not my proudest moment in life.

i did message her the day the parcel arrived about the postage fee....i thought maybe she just forgot to send me a refund....
but in her return message she stated that it cost more that $33 to ship and that if i was unhappy just leave negative feedback
she's was new to bonanzle when i made the purchase, and she's not a power seller, only a few items at a time,
i did just send her another message which the pictures of the postmark, so maybe she just forgot which parcel i was talking about since she did sell about three other items recently

i also thought it was kinda weird that she overstated the bag in the custom form, she stated it as $100 instead of $80, so i was charged taxes and duties...
usually if it 80 and under there's no customs

i did message her the day the parcel arrived about the postage fee....i thought maybe she just forgot to send me a refund....
but in her return message she stated that it cost more that $33 to ship and that if i was unhappy just leave negative feedback
she's was new to bonanzle when i made the purchase, and she's not a power seller, only a few items at a time,
i did just send her another message which the pictures of the postmark, so maybe she just forgot which parcel i was talking about since she did sell about three other items recently

i also thought it was kinda weird that she overstated the bag in the custom form, she stated it as $100 instead of $80, so i was charged taxes and duties...
usually if it 80 and under there's no customs
If she doesn't sell that much, I'm sure she remembered you and how much it cost her to ship the package. It doesn't sound (or look) like she does a lot of international shipping, so I'm sure she knows that she didn't pay $33 for shipping. I don't think she's going to offer the refund. But if you only paid $80 for the bag and she claimed $100, can't you dispute that w/customs? You could print a copy of the invoice you paid - that would show how much you paid. It just sounds like she rounded it off (or included your shipping charges) when she filled out the customs form

The whole thing kinda $ucks, but I think you're going to be out the $$ - I would just leave the neg FB and be done with it already. Honestly, it doesn't sound like she cares all that much which is really a shame. I just don't get the attitude thinking of some sellers. I mean, my goodness - we're talking what, $10-20 here?

We refund shipping quite often. If your selller agreed to ship by a more expensive method, then changed it to a less expensive method and keeps the "change", that sounds like fraud to me.

If they continue to not respond, I would contact the Bonanzle folks. They seem personable and eager to do the right thing. If nothing else, the seller has been brought to their attention. They do not want sellers dealing like that any more than you do.

Good luck.:smile: