Excessive Postage

The seller really should give you a partial refund. Once I sold some DVDs to someone in Canada and quoted the buyer $10 for shipping...when I took the package to the post office, it ended up being only $4 so I refunded the buyer that same day. In turn I got a very kind email back from her after I paypal-ed her the refund and a nice positive fb comment saying "very ethical with shipping rates!".

I would certainly refund and hope she responds soon - this is as much part of customer service as the listing, payment receipt etc. A transaction is not over simply because you have the item if the buyer has questions or concerns. Let us know if and when she replies.

48 hours later. No response.

I dont know whether I had better report her to ebay for excessive postage, or claim with paypal for item not as described and then claim that the postage method was not as described?

Am I clutching at straws here? Yes!!! Lol....

Definitely file with Ebay. If you've been more than courteous, then there's no reason why you can't. If she had quoted you the price for global priority and had shipped it the same method, then you wouldn't have much of a case since it'd be a case of you knew what the price of and agreed to it. However, since she shipped it a different method than what she quoted you, that's definitely worthy of a refund. I had a similar situation where I was quoted priority mail and the item ended up being shipped via media mail. I emailed the seller, and they promptly refunded me the difference.

I factor in a portion of my costs to sell (listing fees, closing fees and paypal fees) into my shipping price, as do most sellers and class that as handling.

All you can really do at this point is leave appropriate feedback.

:nogood:

Those fees should be factored into the auction price, not in p&h. But even if sellers do factor some of those fees into the p&h, then it should be reasonable. When "handling" cost more than postage, then it's not right.

Quote Ebay: Sellers who want to be sure they are in compliance with this policy may charge actual shipping costs plus actual packaging materials cost (or less). Unquote.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-shipping.html

The thing that irks me is - I had no control over the fact that the seller did not post via the method I chose.

That's my main beef.

If I had of said "please quote me for regular airmail" and she said "$27" and THEN i bought the item, it would be greedy of her, but I wouldn't really have a case to get my money back.

However, I specifically asked for the more expensive postal method of global priority, and it was not used.

Its been 4 days since I filed the claim.

No response.

As a seller, who has sold numerous items to buyers in Australia, I doubt the seller was trying to rip you off. I have sold things that the postage to Australia was all over the place. And the items were all about the same weight. One time I sent something, it was about $27.00 for postage, the next time it was $11.50, etc. I don't have a clue why, as I sent the items Air Parcel Post, and not Global Priority. My only explanation is there is something funky with the rates at the post office. And again, the items I sold to Australian buyers were all about the same weight, ie. shirts, dresses etc. I'm sure the seller was just trying to cover her costs in the rate she charged you and wasn't trying to scam you on purpose.
But then again, this has just been my own person experience with postage to Australia.

I just got stung by a seller for extortianate shipping. She had listed £15 (Sterling) to ship to Ireland (from neighbouring Britain, that's a LOT). Anyway, I really wanted the item, so I paid up, but it arrived in a tiny brown envelope with no padding and postage sticker that stated £3.50. I'm so mad. She was really nasty when I emailed her about a possible partial refund and she threatened negative feedback. GRRRRRRR! :cursing:

I would have had no problem had the item been packaged properly and with the appropriate amount (£10 or so) on the label, but the item took almost 10 days to arrive. I had already paid double the retail price on the item, and I feel like she was totally unfair and greedy charging that much when shipping only cost her £3.50...

oh lots of times i overpaid - mostly when I buy from US powersellers. I get quoted around $40 and actual postage is only $20. the annoying thing is also that customs nowadays include postage in the charge-able amount - there used to be leeway whether the officer included it or not but now they always do, so on top of a ridiculous handling charge I also pay more customs....

the other day though someone underquoted, so i sent them the additional postage bec they were so nice. neither should the seller be out of pocket, IMO. I think often sellers try to recover their fees which is not on - that is part of ebay, and it is the seller's responsibility.