EWWWW...that SMELL!

ImaBagAddict

Rehab? No No No
O.G.
May 15, 2008
So I just received my first RM bag yesterday...a DB (Dark Brown) Nikki. When I opened the box...all aquiver with anticipation...the first thing that hit me was this awful smell. It's a combination of scented soap and old lady body powder. It's N-A-S-T-Y. So now I have this nice new bag that smells like old lady. I was expecting that yummy leather smell and this is just awful. I can't carry a bag that smells like this.

You ladies who have ordered from Luna Boston...is this typical? It may make me think twice about ordering from LB again.

(I should also say that I'm sadly on the fence about this bag. While I like its shape I am a bit disappointed in the leather. Also the short shoulder drop will make it almost impossible to wear over a winter coat. :confused1: So it may go back anyway...despite the smell.)

Last edited:
That's really strange. I have never received a new RM that smelled like anything but leather. Is it the soap they included w/ the bag that smells?

Must be something else going on there...I've ordered numerous bags from LB and the soap included hasn't ever cause the bag to smell?? :confused1:

Weird!

I"m sorry to hear this. I can tell you that my Night Nikki arrived with a terrible smell. I was tempted to return just based on that, alone. But, then I went for a long, LONG car ride with the windows opened. I was nervous about airing it outside in case of a bird accident. So, I felt better driving around in my car. It did help a lot!

But, still. I remember the disappointment when I was trying to love this bag!

I will say that my dark brown mam and mab did not have that smell. Neither did my Noir or wine. I think it just depends. It's definetely not with every RM bag.

That was funny when I read DM. I thought I knew all the colors and I kept thinking, hmm, what did I miss? LOL

That is sooo weird. I've never had that problem with LB. It just smells like leather when I get mine. Maybe let it air out or put baking soda near it? Does it smell like the soap that is included as a gift with the bag?

Hopefully you can exchange it for an odor free one or at least get rid of the smell. LMB makes awesome bag candies that are made to absorb strong odors and the baking soda trick also works.

That is sooo weird. I've never had that problem with LB. It just smells like leather when I get mine. Maybe let it air out or put baking soda near it? Does it smell like the soap that is included as a gift with the bag?

No...as I said in a previous post it's different than the smell of the soap that's included. I thought that too until I sniffed the soap and then sniffed the bag. There's definitely a different (unpleasant) scent going on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll try to air it out a bit and see if that helps.

That's odd because I just got a nickel Mini Nikki and it was new and still in it's original plastic and fillings and it has an odd mildly unpleasant smell. I couldn't fault the seller though because the smell definitely is coming from the bag itself. The dye or something. It's nothing I can explain but I have noted similar odors on other new bags I have bought and it's just part of the dyeing process and I never have had one linger on forever. It disapates quickly enough.

So I just received my first RM bag yesterday...a DB (Dark Brown) Nikki. When I opened the box...all aquiver with anticipation...the first thing that hit me was this awful smell. It's a combination of scented soap and old lady body powder. It's N-A-S-T-Y. So now I have this nice new bag that smells like old lady. I was expecting that yummy leather smell and this is just awful. I can't carry a bag that smells like this.

You ladies who have ordered from Luna Boston...is this typical? It may make me think twice about ordering from LB again.

(I should also say that I'm sadly on the fence about this bag. While I like its shape I am a bit disappointed in the leather. Also the short shoulder drop will make it almost impossible to wear over a winter coat. :confused1: So it may go back anyway...despite the smell.)

That is SOO crazy. I also received a DB Nikki from LunaBoston yesterday and was concerned about the old lady soapy smell. I just figured it was the lollipop soap they included. It stopped bothering me after I took it out of the box and wore it for some errands. I think it may have already gone away and the smell remains mostly in the box.

Are you sure it's not just new leather smell? I received my concord MAM from LB and the only smell that came whiffing out the box was the smell of new leather which smelled good to me actually....

my NL nikki has a slight smell to it, very faint. but i'm sure it's just the dying process and it will go away eventually. it is not a strong smell like you're describing. i've heard people putting dryer sheets in the bag to remove the odor. good luck!