Everything's Archie

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
I used to read Archie comics all the time when I was younger. My favorite was Veronica Lodge. She was rich and gorgeous. She could be nice when she wanted to be. Betty Cooper was so sweet. (When Betty and Veronica worked together, sometimes they seemed like high school versions of Lucy and Ethel.) Jughead was the sarcastic girl-hating, hamburger-loving best friend of Archie.

Reggie was the mean womanizer. Moose was the standard jealous boyfriend jock. (Reggie kept trying to flirt with his girlfriend Midge.)

They all went to Riverdale High School and annoyed Principal Weatherbee and Miss Grundy and Professor Flutesnoot.

Vanity Fair did this Archie portfolio I wanted to share with everyone:

cusl01_archie0612.jpg

"America's Newest Boy Friend" A gnome-faced Archie Andrews, as he first appeared in Pep comics No. 22, dated December 22, 1941. He asks to be called "Chick," a nickname that doesn't appear in subsequent texts. Archie has just moved to Riverdale and is already trying to win Betty Cooper, who is literally the girl next door. Betty's rival, Veronica Lodge, doesn't make the scene until Pep comics No. 26.

cusl02_archie0612.jpg

Beat Archie In this 1959 story, Archie and Jughead make like Neal Cassady and Jack Kerouac as they enter a brief beatnik phase. Unlike Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and most superhero comics, which are set in a largely unchanging universe, Archie comics have long made a point of explicitly addressing cultural fads.
cusl03_archie0612.jpg

Beach-Blanket Bingo For a change, Archie is able to get away with not choosing between Betty and Veronica. Earlier in this 1966 installment, the ever irritating Reggie Mantle (whose derrière is outlined by the green, Speedo-like bathing trunks) impressed the girls with his surfing skill, only to lose their attention when he became more concerned with impressing his male admirers.

cusl04_archie0612.jpg

Riverdale Goes Mod The British look visits Riverdale in this 1967 comic. Archie and Reggie are too overcome by their own Carnaby Street "plumage" to spare a peek at the "drapery" worn by Betty and Veronica.
cusl05_archie0612.jpg

Rebel Archie By 1968, fashion slave Archie has dropped the mod look in favor of an earthier no-sock style. The Rousseauian phase won't last: before long Archie will be a chart-topping sensation as the lead singer of the Archies, whose not-so-countercultural "Sugar Sugar" was the No. 1 single for all of 1969.
cusl06_archie0612.jpg

The Tease Onetime pinup artist Dan DeCarlo, an Archie artist of the 60s and 70s, drew an especially saucy Veronica. In this 1971 panel, she elicits the ooh face from Archie and a glower from the possibly sex-starved Lodge-family butler.

cusl08a_archie0612.jpg

Archie vs. Punk Just because Archie comics have documented youth-culture trends doesn't mean they're always in favor of them. In this 1983 story, our hero is hell-bent on keeping his newly Mohawked pal Jughead from going punk. But all's well that ends well …
cusl08b_archie0612.jpg

Archie vs. Punk … turns out Jughead was only dipping into the subculture as part of an undercover assignment for the school paper.

cusl09_archie0612.jpg

Archie's Choice Media hoopla accompanied the Archie Comics announcement that its signature character would finally make a choice between Betty and Veronica in its "Love Showdown." But at the end of this 1994 series, a somewhat chunky Archie goes off with occasional Riverdale inhabitant Cheryl Blossom, leaving behind Veronica (with perm) and Betty (dressed in a necktie nearly 20 years after Diane Keaton made the Annie Hall look famous).

cusl10_archie0612.jpg

Archie Abroad Archie dreams of Betty … in Arabic. He's a hit in Latin America, Canada, Scandinavia, Italy, India, Indonesia, Greece, South Korea—and now Kuwait, thanks to a 2006 deal between Archie Comics and a Kuwaiti entrepreneur. One country in which his charms have failed to warm the populace is France, where Asterix and Tintin rule the comics trade.

cusl11_archie0612.jpg

Archie Today Underscoring the eternal Betty-Veronica dichotomy, a 2006 cover shows spoiled, fashion-obsessed Veronica in possession of a cell-phone "wallpaper" image of her admirer, while down-to-earth Betty has Archie wallpaper of a more traditional type.

Here's the accompanying article:
American Idol: Entertainment & Culture: vanityfair.com

I like how it's wholesome but not preachy.

They don't show the characters smoking or drinking, and they always wear seatbelts whenever they drive.

And I like how they changed the characters to match the times: Moose isn't stupid. He got tested, and he has dyslexia. (And he doesn't say "Duh" before each sentence anymore.)

He doesn't hit people for looking at his girlfriend so much anymore.

They're going to introduce a Japanese character.

I think it might be a BIT much if they said, "Be abstinent until marriage!" though.

It wasn't just Archie, either.

I remember the Archie cartoon series. For some reason, Veronica had a Southern accent. I remember that theme song (and oddly enough, I was humming it when I was putting this thread together):

Everything's Archie
Archie's here
Betty's here, Veronica, too
Reggie's here
Hey, Jughead, where are you?

Everything's Archie
Archie's here
Betty's here, Veronica, too
Reggie's here
And here comes Jughead, and Hot Dog, too!

So Everything's Archie!
Come on, let's go, it's The Archie Show!

I used to read Little Archie.

I loved reading about Josie and the Pussycats. I watched the cartoon on Cartoon Network and I still remember some of the theme song. Then when the live action movie came out, I remember thinking how much the actresses fit the characters. Every time Tara Reid spoke in that movie, I swore I could imagine musical notes around the speech bubbles.

Josie and the Pussycats
Long tails and ears for hats
Guitars and sharps and flats
Neat, sweet, a groovy song
You're invited come along

Sabrina the Teenage Witch (and I loved the series when it was on).

But my absolute favorite was Katy Keene. It was so cool, because there'd be the stories, and she'd be wearing an outfit, and in the margins there would be: "Katie's outfit designed by . . . . . " And they had paperdolls of the characters showcasing readers' designs.

I went on the Archie website, and they changed the characters around just a tad, but

There was a real life band called the Archies, and they had a hit song, Sugar Sugar. (Which Aaron Carter covered. Don't ask how I know that.)

Archie and the gang had a band called The Archies in the comic. (Archie and Reggie were vocals and guitar, Betty was tambourine, Veronica was keyboards and Jughead was drums) They sang that song in the comic, too.

I LOVE that song! I remember listening to the Oldies radio station a lot and I got so excited when it played over the radio.

Chorus:
Sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you
Honey, ah sugar sugar
You are my candy girl

I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you
(I just can't believe it's true)
I just can't believe the wonder of this feeling too
(I just can't believe it's true)

Chorus
When I kissed you girl I knew how sweet a kiss could be
(I know how sweet a kiss could be)
Like a summer sunshine pour your sweetness over me
(Pour your sweetness over me)

Oh, sugar
Pour a little sugar on it, honey
Pour a little sugar on it, Baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Pour a little sugar on it, oh yeah
Pour a little sugar on it, honey
Pour a little sugar on it, Baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet
Hey, hey, hey
Pour a little sugar on me, honey
Sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
Oh . . .
Honey, ah sugar sugar
You are my candy girl . . .

I loved Archie and Gang too!!! :love: I still have this tattered, dirty, old Betty and Veronica double digest where they were having a dance at Riverside High and they wore 60's outfits!!! It was my favorite, I read that and other comics over and over and over again during summer :love: Oh, the memories...

This may be my new favorite thread! One of my favorite memories from my childhood is my dad coming home from work with a bag full of Archie comics for me!

Although my features tend more towards Veronica, my personality is definitely Betty. I bought the cashmere "Are You A Betty?" hoodie from Kitson a while back and have a Betty t-shirt, and both Betty & Veronica tank-tops I picked up at K-Mart of all places.

Does anyone remember the movie that came out in the early 90's? Or watch the caroons?

For anyone who is interested, on sale May 14, 2007, Betty & Veronica double digest #151 will have the girls get an updated look and longer stories.

http://www.archiecomics.com/news/images/december2006/pr121706-bv-new-look.gif