Everyday bag recommendations

The outlets have their congo print brown bag, but they are special cheap & nasty outlet versions, not good really.

As someone who owns a black congo "cheap and nasty" outlet Bays I take exception to this. While some bags may not be to everyone's taste, we are respectful of others' choices on this forum, and to see a bag I (and other forum members) own declared as cheap and nasty is not nice
If anything, I think these, of all the leathers, are ideal for everyday anyway as they are hardwearing and retain their shape. I've had mine over a year and it still looks as good as new.

If your wife has indicated a preference for printed leather I suggest you bite the bullet and get her just that. It wil never appear in a sale and chances of finding it at an outlet are slim.

I also own a 'Cheap and nasty' Chocolate congo east west bayswater from an outlet and I am also offended by the OP's comments, particularly as he has clearly not seen one in real life. It is not acceptable to make such comments when it may well offend other members, these bag are not cheap and nasty, they are simply made from a different type of printed leather.

How someone who has asked for a classic oak printed bag could be happy with a pink one is beyond me

Yeah she wants oak printed leather, but that costs £650. I can't bear paying full price for this sort of thing.

The only colour she mentioned she likes is coral.

If you wife wanted a classic oak printed bays how on earth has she ended up with a Fuchsia Bays in buffalo leather:?::wtf:

I might be dyslexic, but i am not colourblind or a tight ass :yahoo: no brownie points for you, me old mucker and no counting shoes either:lolots::roflmfao::lolots::yahoo::P

Last edited:
Meester- you seem to have caused some offence on here.

I would be delighted if my husband offered to buy me a Mulberry ( as he has in the past) but he's always made sure it's the exact one I wanted - not a cheaper alternative. I'd suggest asking what she wants/ prefers out of the choices you've put on here and let her choose something she loves.

meester - Can I point something out to you. You have shown photos of some Bayswaters - one of which belongs to another member of the Purse Forum. It really isn't appropriate for you to use another members photos - and I would ask that - in future - you refrain from this practice. Whilst I appreciate you are trying to show the differing bags you might be considering for your wife - its always pertinent to ask permission - or source your images from elsewhere.

Just an FYI.

Girls - can I just remind you - if possible - can you Watermark your photos - whilst it might not prevent them being used - it is seen as a deterrent.

TIA:heart:

I can see that things have become a little heated here. I would like to suggest that Meester may not have intentionally caused offence in his comment about outlet bags. Whilst we are all aware of the varied reason that bags appear in the outlets others may not be so sure. For some brands outlet stock is usually of poor quality and not fit for regular shops, perhaps Meester believed it is the same for Mulberry.

Meester, in case you were not aware - Mulberry stock that makes it to the outlots usually does so for the following reasons (not exhaustive but you will get the picture):
  • previous season which were left over after the sales (and perfect)
  • substandard (by Mulberry standards there is often no obvious reason why a bag is marked as sub - I have 3 sub bags and for two of them I honestly can't find the reason they are considered sub and for the other it is because the lining was in back to front so the pocket is on the back (inside) rather than the front which makes no difference to me whatsoever except for a rather hefty reduction)
  • outlet special - often these of the classic bags ie bayswater, antony with a variation, for example the outlet special bays often do not have the feet and the cloche (the thing that holds the keys) some ladies mind about this, other don't, the outlet antony often does not have the external pocket again some people don't mind but others do, these variations are reflected in the price.
  • training bags - I have seen bags at the outlets made by a trainee which look good to my untrained eye but are not considered good enough to sell in the regular stores
I am sure there are more reasons that stock make their way to the outlets.

If you buy from an outlet by mail order the staff are supposed to point out any flaws so you know what you are getting. In my personal experience they have made the flaws sound much worse than they were in reality but if they don't say anything it is worth asking as they are only human.

I hope this is helpful and doesn't come across as trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

Finally, as far as price and value of bags is concerned, we all have different ceiling values for varied reasons. We just respect that we are all different.

OK lecture over. Just trying to help.

^^ bluecat_00 - Excellent points!

I think its wonderful that Mulberry do have the Outlets - its a chance for some people to buy Mulberry - when they might not normally be able to do so.

Many other designers - Chloe - I mention that - as its my area - they don't have Outlets - any stock which isn't good enough is generally destroyed. In fairness - some of the stock which is passed by QC - might not be in other brands. QC isn't Chloe's strong point:graucho:

I wish I lived near one of the Mulberry outlets - then again - it probably would be a hugely bad idea - :nuts: The point which is really interesting - is that if the outlets are selling via mail order - they have to describe the faults - now I wasn't aware of that - and rather wondered about doing maile order in case when it arrived - it was not in the best condition. Now that I know that - I feel happier to maybe call round - and see if they have something of interest.

I think you may just be an 'enabler':P

^^bluecat_80 - How true:graucho: Trust me - I was thinking of your welfare and mental state of mind. My three - 22, 20 and 18 - and trust me - they do NOT get better with age:roflmfao::roflmfao:

Honestly - someone - many years ago said to me 'Kids - they aren't like wine - they don't improve with age' I thought it was a really weird thing to say - but now I can 'get it'.:P

It does all fall into place - but when you are tearing your hair out some days - you do rather wonder!

Great post BC. It's useful for others to know. Just because something comes from an outlet doesn't mean its "cheap and nasty", it just there for the reasons you list. I totally agree about the "sub" ones. My recent Mitzy was a sub and the flaw is miniscule - not bad for a 30% reduction in RRP.

All outlet bags still carry the same Mulberry guarantee for 1 year as well.

meester - Can I point something out to you. You have shown photos of some Bayswaters - one of which belongs to another member of the Purse Forum. It really isn't appropriate for you to use another members photos - and I would ask that - in future - you refrain from this practice. Whilst I appreciate you are trying to show the differing bags you might be considering for your wife - its always pertinent to ask permission - or source your images from elsewhere.

Just an FYI.

You're actually using an unlicensed image as your avatar.

I clearly stated in my original post who the bag belongs to, as per the forum rules.

Have a go at me for being a bad husband/silly man with no taste all you like, but I don't think complaining about linking to an image that I credited to its creator is sensible.