Ever wonder why the STUNNING color of your Bbag is SOOO DARN HARD to photograph???

Ya know...I knew that but never made the connection.

I'm a photographer, but have worked only in black and white film for years. I have shot some color film, however, and would use tungsten film for indoor shots to balance the yellow-orange cast. But the digital cameras I've used (which are few) did a good job of balancing that automatically if "indoors" was the setting chosen.

Great info!

Ooo, can you give us some tips and tricks Highglossfinish?!?!?

I love playing with my camera but always feel so inadequate, especially with my yummy bbag subjects :P

LMAO!!

:hs:

It goes like this:

This scale is the scientific temperature scale used to measure the exact temperature of objects. Unlike the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales, the Kelvin scale does not have any negative numbers. It starts at absolute zero. If you heat a carbon rod, it will glow orange at approximately 3,200 degrees Kelvin. At 4,800 degrees Kelvin it will glow a greenish color and at 5,600 degrees Kelvin it will begin to emit a blue color. The color of light is measured using these Kelvin temperature readings. The light itself has no heat; it is just a measurement of its color temperature.

I use a Canon EOS 20D with a Canon Zoom lense EF 70-300mm with a polarizer. I wish I *really* knew how to use it!

I don't know ANYTHING about digital cameras, except that they can mechanically replicate anything I do with my film camera. When it was time to photograph my own bbags for the threads, I borrowed my Mom's little digital point-and-shoot and put the setting on "indoors."

I've been pretty impressed with the photos I've seen on the site...a lot of members are able to take color-correct photos of most bags. The most chameleon-like bags, like rouille, ink and anthracite, of course absorb and reflect different kinds of light differently, which makes them hard to photograph. If you're having trouble getting "true" color, try to change your lighting conditions.

Also, there are some light bulbs that balanced -- halogen throws off blue light, but you can get bulbs that are balanced for that. Tungsten throws off yellow-orange light, etc.

Hmwe, this is a great post. I'm keeping it. I also noticed today that the colors are more true on my husband's smaller laptop screen - these LED panels are just not the best for viewing.

What a difference between the colors in that Paddy, depending on light (and you capture the texture so beautifully in that one photo too).

I'm going to take your word for it that the Rouille shot looks perfect - which means I need to recalibrate my monitor - I'm guessing it'll look great on the other computer. I think my red tones are ramped up a bit too much right now.

I can vouch for that rouille shot...i have a rouille first and that is the only picture i've seen that perfectly captures her color...she's sooo pretty....:P :drool:...i'm gonna go look at her some more...

OMG I have that problem too! It drives me crazy. Some people on this board though take seriously amazing, real-life photos. I don't know if its my camera or just my picture taking skills!

Pretty much every photo I've ever taken of a bag has been taken outside in mid afternoon on a sunny day. I usually hang the bag from the handle of my front door (see avatar.) I have found that I get the most true representation of my bags in this setting.

My greatest color success has been inside on a semi-cloudy day with indirect light.

Check out this pic of Rouille and Grenat in late-afternoon California sunlight:

IMG_4661.jpg

The Rouille looks NOTHING like that IRL. This looks like an orange-saftey vest, LOL!!