Ever wish you could turn back time- NAIL POLISH on patent Zoe!

reigo

Jul 18, 2009
Went to get a manicure and thought my nails were dry...but they were still slightly wet, so on top of jacking up a new manicure and much worse, I got deep wine colored nail polish on my FAWN PATENT ZOE! It's not a huge spot but it's there!

Any ideas on how I can remove it. I am afraid to put any nail polish remover on the patent for fear it will eat through the patent and ruin it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Good thing I am anatomically unable to physically kick myself in the rear b/c I would have when I did this! :noggin:

i was going to suggest peeling it also, if its only a little mark.
i think acetone would def. ruin the patent on the bag. i wouldn't even try to dilute it, thats just my opinion.

In all reality this bag is GORGEOUS and need's to be saved!! What I would do, and you can take this for what it's worth is find a spot (maybe on the bottom) of the bag where there is patent and just BARELY touch it w/ a Q-tip if not something smaller that has NON-acetone polish remover on it and see what the damage is. I'd try it, but it's gonna take some nerve!!! You've also got to weigh in on what you'd rather have blemishing your bag, a spot of wine colored nail polish OR a small spot where the patent has lost it's shine BUT hopefully maintained it's color!!!

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS BEFORE!!!

Have you tryed nail polish remover. Use a quetip on a very small spot and wait. If not try using mild soap and water..

i would be very cautious about nail polish remover. i think it disolves plastic because i had a friend who used just a dab to remove something from clear plastic and it literally left a little hole/dent. the coating on the patent might be way too fragile for nail polish remover, especially if there is acetone in it. the surface of patent leather is pretty delicate. this may sound silly, but is there any way you could find a color of polish the same as the fawn and with a tiny amount cover the wine??? not perfect, i know, but it might look better than the wine if it were an exact match and you would have to be very careful to just put a tiny tiny amount. otherwise, not sure if you could peal it without hurting the surface of the patent. i will try to think of other ideas, just beware of nail polish remover. maybe you could find a piece of cheap patent and try the remover on it????? that way zoe would not be at risk!

I say wait for it to dry a couple of days and it will probably peel off. The finish on the patent probably kept it from penetrating so it's just sitting there on top.

I would not use polish remover, because that stuff can take the finish off just about anything.

i think the wait and try to peel method is the way to go. but it would also depend on how thick or thin the spot is KWIM? if after you got the nail polish on there you immediately tried to wipe it off and smearerd it thinly across the patent i think that will be harder to remove, however if its pretty much contained to the initial spot i think you will have success. i would suggest holding an ice cube to the area for a bit after the polish is pretty frozen hard and constricted it should pop off more easily. good luck and be sure to follow up

This is going to sound weird, but how about baby oil or WD40. Wait until it hardens (it probably already is by now), but a little on a Qtip and dab around the polish. Hopefully it will help the polish "slide" off, similar to the "peel" it off suggestion.

Just so you know, I have not I have not tried it. But oil will wipe right off the Patent leather without harm.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions- it's actually a very thin amount since it was a small transfer from nearly dried manicure. I have gel (artificial) nails so it's hard to scratch at the bag. I think I will ask my husband to try for me. Then I will try the oil and ice cube method. Lastly, I might try a non-acetone but that is scary. I will let you know.

You could also try to lift it off with some tape...I did that before on a patent bag that somehoe got a little mark on it. (I never did figure out what the mark was) I figured since the mark was on the surface I could pull it off with some tape and it did work.