Ever heard of this? "I will ship with a combination lock attached to this bag."

DesigningStyle

I left my heart in Sicily.
O.G.
Dec 20, 2006
Just came across a listing on ebay where the seller of an LV bag states,

"I will ship with a combination lock attached to this bag. After you receive the bag you have 3 business days to have it verified authentic and email me that you agree the bag is authentic. Then I will email you the combination to the lock and the bag is yours to enjoy. I am doing this to protect myself from horror stories I have heard/read of people trying to return a fake purse/bag to the seller."

Seems like a real pain the a$$ to buy from this seller. I wouldn't. What do you think?

The seller is just paranoid and worry about "bait and switch"? I don't like the tone, but I'm not sure it's a sign to avoid. I don't see any difference from those security tags. I might ask the seller to make sure that the combination lock doesn't scratch the bag.

:graucho::graucho: i have laughed until i cried!!!!

omg - i don't think i would want to deal with this person at all! i agree - this looks like a PITA just waiting to happen!! those locks are heavy and who knows what it could do to a bag in transit!

I've actually done this.:amuse: A few years back, I had a new Ebayer hit the BIN button on one of my Miu Miu bags. After an immediate payment, she then sent me a message questioning the authenticity. I told her that although I understood her concern, the bag was guaranteed authentic and I encouraged her to have it authenticated upon receipt.

In order to protect myself against a possible returned counterfeit bag, I went to the local hardware store and purchased a cute little square brass combination lock and attached it to the strap. I told her that once she had the bag authenticated, I would then give her the combination. She was fine with it. She got the bag, had it authenticated and sent me an email stating that the bag was in fact 100% authentic and that she loved it. I gave her the combination and she was thrilled with her new purchase. She even thanked me for the free lock! LOL! Turned out to be a wonderful transaction for both of us.

I don't blame the seller, at all and I would purchase from them, provided I didn't think the type of lock would damage the leather.

I think maybe the 3 days to verify is a little on the short side, but other than that, it wouldn't be a problem. :nogood:

Its a variation of using the tyvek bands that many TPFers advocate to prevent a switch. She didn't need that last sentence or it could have been worded more pleasantly but other than that it sounds fine to me.

It's amazing how a few bad buyers or a few bad sellers can ruin it all for the rest of us honest people who are looking for a bargain or to sell out stuff.

I think this is awesome personally.

I want to use once I get! I swear I have received bags and the next day use them...I don't want to have to email someone for a combination. I say invest in the darn tyveck tags.