Ever Feel Like You Need New Friends?

I actually never feel this way for some reason. I have a lot of different kinda friends. I'm always there for them, and when I need something, I would know which one to go to. I have a handful of friends, that I can count on with anything. Also, we are all young, but we're all growing up and maturing. So I never feel like Ii'm on another level or phase in life.

I have had to set some "friends" free - I like the term learned from SATC -- "frenemy". Once I realized that's what they were I was able to deal with them on a different level. My closest friends from college live very far away, and one in particular has grown into a serious prig. I feel like telling her to shove it every now and then. But then I think about how long we have known each other and then picture us as a couple of bickering old ladies (beating each other with our purses). I wish I had a few more "golden" friends, but it takes a lot of time and effort to cultivate new friendships.

I feel about the same. For a long time I had 2 closest friends from University, but then our lives went into different directions. One decided to be actress and now is hanging out with her new friends, I'm not anymore interesting for her, so we totally lost each other.
With the other we also grew apart, we used to have great time together, then we went to work, she found new friends, our lifestyles changed a lot, so we meet quite often, but there is this uncomfortable silence all the time, you know. We have less and less common topics for conversation.
Certainly I meet some new people at work etc, but they are very different from me and I can only, let's say, go to drink coffee with them, or attend some concert, but we are not close at all. When I changed work I immediatly stopped seeing all my "friends" from there, so you see my point.
I never was good at making close friends (and just friends, I'm too shy at times), and I feel it becomes harder when I grow older. I desperately need new friends, people with the same intersts as me, but I don't know how to meet them.
I'm afraid to be absolutely alone in the future, if that will go on like that.

i hear ya gals....

our lives and priorities change ... and sometimes take a different path. and you care and love each other but you don't really understand or relate to each other like you used to... i have some good friends but they're mostly religious and i'm not. So if you can imagine, it's sometimes hard to talk about problems because their perspective is usually "well, God will find a way for you..." and i'm just like, HUH, WHAT!??!

it'd be nice to have a few friends that were more on the same plane, mindset, believes etc....

while it's sad to think how far we've drifted, i take consolation in knowing that we do love and care for each other...

as for toxic ppl, i cut them out ASAP. i have no energy and time for that... there's enough negativity and toxicity that i cant get rid of in the form of colleagues and relatives!!!

I'm in the same boat only I just need to find friends. I dunno if I'm just not likable but I'll be damned if anyone at works wants to hang out with me outside of work! My husband and I have been living here for almost 2 yrs and I have yet to find a friend who I can talk to about personal things and whatnot.

I remember right after highschool my old best friend and I really started moving apart but she kept pushing it for yrs in trying to keep us the way we use to be but it just didn't work. People change and move on to different things. It sucks sometimes but it's true. What you're feeling is very normal. =)

It is so flippn hard to find friends....especially for me to.

Im 35, married and have a daughter. My husband is in the military, so not only do we move a lot, other people move a lot.

All of those things are stacked against me. :crybaby:

And like I said in my other post....my 2 bestest closest friends live so flippn far from me, one being in another country. I have no idea when I will ever get to see them in person again. However, I still remain close to them via email, phone, etc.

Other then the 2 of them, I just cant seem to find or even make any friends. Nobody has anything in common w/ me enough for me to want to hang w/ them or vice versa.

Most of the woman I meet on base are into things im not and vice versa. Then the other woman/mothers I meet....they have no desire to chit chat and get to know anyone....so many want to stay in their known little cirlces.

I think that is why im drawn to meeting people online via message boards. However, so far, that doesnt seem to be working so well either:crybaby:

Uggg, its just so hard being an adult!!!:crybaby: LOL

yes! I have been feeling like that for a long time! my current friends are always putting me down or are never there for me....I know I need new friends but being 23 sometimes I feel like its "too late" to make new friends...and most girls nowadays, at least where I live, are pretty stuck up or too busy....

don't get me wrong [ && i feel a litle guilty saying this ] but i do know where everyone's coming from.

fortunately - i have a couple AMAZING friends that i love & can definitely talk to about anything & everything! [ so i'm very lucky in that respect! ]

.. but ultimately our interests aren't the same [ give or take a few things ]

so when it comes to actually going out and doing stuff - sometimes it can be hard [ we usually will go out for drinks or coffee and chat about life, etc! ]

.. i'm the only one of my friends that's in to the whole "purse thing" .. and i'm also VERY into sports! i love going to baseball and football games - and MUST watch them on tv when they play! [ i know i'm a total boy! haha! ] .. but my friends could really care less about sports [ or my purses obsession ]

.. so ultimately .. i have 2 amazing girl friends that ive known forever and love more then anything .. but since our interests aren't very similar .. that makes it pretty hard to go & do a lot together!

i would love to have friends with similar interests -- and it does get harder the older u get!

As we get older and develop our lives, it can happen that a friend may not "gel". I had a lot of friends that I used to go clubbing with, but unlike many of them, I "settled" into a family life. Frankly, they can't relate to my life any more than I can relate to theirs. I very rarely even want to go to clubs or bars anymore and when I do it is often... lame. A bunch of old people acting like they are still 20 is just blech. I would rather go to a nice dinner or shopping, but a lot of people from my past friend circle can't afford that. I definately feel like I need friends I can relate to. My closest friend who I have known for 20 years moved to Texas... So yeah, you might need to cycle in some new friends as you get older lol.