Ever dumb yourself down?

Nah. Whatever comes out, comes out. I'm not intellectual, trust me.

However, I think it's funny when I speak to some people and they think that they're smarter than they actually are. :rolleyes: Most intelligent/intellectual people I've met don't "brag" about their smarts.

i never intentionally dumb myself down, but i definitely adjust my tone/ demeanor at work depending on the age of the customer i'm dealing with... i run a little boutique in nyc, and if a grp. of college girls come in with a string of "OMGGGGG, so kah-uteeeeeeeees" i try to muster up some of that enthusiasm... which may make me sound kind of dumb? maybe i'll stop while i'm ahead....:P

Almost everyday, my new job is hell. I am basicly paid to flirt,and act ditzy to men to buy clothing. I work at a high end boutique in my local area. I really hate it,its my anti . I am a very strong minded,and well spoken person. All the girls there are sort of dumb,and ditzy. I feel like im eye candy to the creepy guys. Also my job is horrible,I deal with sexual harrasment all the time ><
I am currently looking for another job,but I cannot find one (Due to me being still 17)

Ooh that doesn't sound good. Hope you find find a job where you're well appreciated.

uh YES...just trying to keep expectations low so i don't have to work super hard to live up to them...but playing dumb does present opportunities for you to turn around surprise people.

Almost everyday, my new job is hell. I am basicly paid to flirt,and act ditzy to men to buy clothing. I work at a high end boutique in my local area. I really hate it,its my anti . I am a very strong minded,and well spoken person. All the girls there are sort of dumb,and ditzy. I feel like im eye candy to the creepy guys. Also my job is horrible,I deal with sexual harrasment all the time ><
I am currently looking for another job,but I cannot find one (Due to me being still 17)

Hmm, maybe the girls you work with are dumbing themselves down, you never know. I once traveled with a girl who was super ditzy but she actually was a chemical engineer who went to MIT.

I know lots of people who are a bit ditsy when it comes to everyday life, and just enjoy make people laugh, but are very intelligent and high up on a profesionnal level.
Myself I am nervous when meeting people, I try to be smart enough and funny enough, so busy with that I wouldn't dumb myself, I usually play by the same level as the person I am talking to, some ppl love to show their cultural knowledge, and I am "um ,you want to play this game ??"

Oh Boy, do I have a story to tell ya!

At the beginning of middle school, I decided that it would be cute if I acted dumb at school. Before I decided to make this decision, I was basically the quiet smart girl at my school and had spent all my elementary school years being the quiet smart girl. I desperately wanted to be noticed. I asked stupid questions, acted confused, did dumb stuff, and basically let my inner blonde (no offense to you blondes, I'm just using a stereotype!!) take over to an extreme. At first it was all good; people laughed and I got a lot of attention. I would hear other kids talk amongst themselves about something I had done or said earlier. It felt good to be recognized. But then after half a year had gone by I realized that they weren't laughing with me - they were laughing at me. Everyone thought I was a complete idiot and they all treated me like one. I hated it. It became to the point where every little thing that I said was considered dumb since it came out of my mouth and I was "dumb". If someone else had said the exact thing then it wouldn't have mattered. But since I said it, I got made fun of for saying something stupid. I spent the rest of my middle school years trying to get people to stop thinking I was dumb and stupid. And slowly and slowly I started to earn my "smartness" back but then I would say one little thing or ask a little question and PLOP.. I was back to being the dumb girl.

I decided to move and switch school the summer before I started high school so that I could have a fresh start! And I am really glad I did because my school life is incredible now!

I I like to have people think they are smarter than me so I am underestimated an therefore s few steps in front of them? its not really a compromise of me, its just like throw in a few blonde moments. i.e. things like how does this can opener work? or I cant get my computer to select this etc. I have friends that are what i call "brain slutty" whom always bring that part of them when they meet people. I know that people not on their psychological level dislike them as they have made comments to me. Sure once i know someone the facade is down, but is it really wrong to do? (after typing this is sounds to *****y and nasty its really not lol) does anyone here do it? btw i am a guy so its not like I'm trying to get a guy by letting him think he is the smart "alpha male."
I totally do this myself too. :P I don't know why, but it seems to help me getting along well with people. Like, appearing just a little more clumsy, tipsy, silly or naive. I think it's fun too at times, allthough, sometimes it doesen't pay off.

Holy....thaks for this thread...

I totally do this, and it has become 2nd nature to me at times....its really to make others more comfortable b/c, I just feel that most ppl aren't for some reason...I just let them be "one up" on me...but like someone said, it has come back to bite me on my a$$ and....

I dont think Ill do it again.....thanks for sharing everyone!!!!!!!

i wouldn't say that, i think it is finding common ground. i'm sure a lot of my husbands colleagues do the same to me..since i have little idea of what they are talking about half the time.

we all have areas of expertise, but don't always have to put it out on display when talking to people. i'd rather speak to a humble person than a blowhard.

Depending on who I'm with I change vocabulary. I tend to use bigger words when around my parents' friends and use short informal speech with my friends. It's less of a dumbing down thing as a comfortability with the company. I know I have nothing to prove to my friends because they know me best, but with family friends I feel the need to give a good impression.

I do this often depending on the social situation, but it's more just to create a laugh and for making conversation. I think as long as you're not "putting yourself down" it's all ok. People are often surprised later on that they underestimated you and your abilities.

Pamela Anderson has admitted she dumbs herself down, as that is part of her marketability!!!

Hmm, maybe the girls you work with are dumbing themselves down, you never know. I once traveled with a girl who was super ditzy but she actually was a chemical engineer who went to MIT.

Thanks Miss 2,NYCBelle,and Cola 262 A
for the words,no the girls are seriously stupid. Some of them are "easy",and *****y. Some are good hearted though. The other day I mentioned the word "exentric" a girl asked me what it means:roflmfao:. In general I HATE MY JOB!!!!!...the other day a stupid teen guy that works in my jobs sister store told me "Nice ti*s"..I was ABOUT to punch him... Its a killer...if I get another job offer I would deff take it!