Food Ever Drank Turkish Coffee...

May 7, 2007
I've been drinking a lot lately, gives me so much energy through out the day...
But I have to warn you its way to strong..
When I was little I was like how the hell do the adults drink this crap, I used to hate it, Now I love it..

I used to drink it sometimes at this cafe (not Starbucks lol) that had it. It is really really strong. I remembered the first time I had it was late at night and it kept me up the rest of the night.

DH and I had this for the first time 5 years ago when we were in Istanbul...and we loved it. It was strong, but in such a different way then other strong coffees that I have had...if that makes sense.

It was delicious.

I grew up with it as well. Yes, it is very strong but it has a unique flavor. Women would also do fortune readings with the leftover coffee grounds in the cup. :yes:
You can probably get it at more upscale Middle Eastern restaurants.

...its way to strong...
It is not strong enough for me. I drink Cafe du Monde or Bustelo, run through the sock or Mr Coffee two times. Don't think in terms of a cup of coffee, more like a slice. :lol:

Do you like your Turkish coffee with cardamom? I never acquired a taste for that, quite apart from strength, I can do cinnamon in coffee, but cardamom, I don't know, I just don't like it!

Also, my ibrik skillz suck, although the best Turkish coffee I have had was made in ibrik so maybe if I could ever get that art down I would change my mind!

My family have always drunk it. My grandmother ( from the med ), used to do fortune readings for us. She used to say we had a long road to travel and a handsome stranger was waiting at the end. Bless her.

Once, and it was an experience I will not forget. I was giving a presentation at work at about 4 in the afternoon. One of the attendees was a hysterical and charming Turk, who offered to make me some coffee. I agreed, thinking this would help push me through the 2 hour presentation. Well, about 20 minutes after I drank it, during the presentation, I started sweating and shaking slightly. It was too stong for me, but it was yummy and I loved it!

Yes. BTW they also call it Arabic Coffee Greek Coffee Armenian Coffee Turkish Coffee...all same thing. But be careful it's very strong, about 4 espresso shots in 1 little cup. I would suggest making it noir sans sucre, without sugar and having it with a piece of chocolate.