ever dialed 911?

I called once...my DH was out of town...and I was sleeping in our bedroom with my 3 kids...all under 5 years old. My alarm was set, and started to go off with the major alarm, which meant that a door had been opened...then I heard the door at the end of my hallway slam shut...I was petrified. I called 911, and made the operator stay on the phone with me...it took 19 minutes for the police to arrive...and I spent the whole time looking at the sliver of light under my bedroom door, just waiting to see a shadow in front of it. I felt helpless to protect the kids...and went and got a bottle of hairspray and a lighter...my Dh asked me if I planned on seting them on fire...or offering them a smoke and an updo!! Anyway...it turned out the door had not been properly shut...wind had blown it open, and slammed the other door shut....but I was TERRIFIED!!!!! Scariest and most helpless 20 minutes of my life!!

Oh my god! I would have been a nervous wreck the entire time! I probably would have passed out!

A long time ago (like 1984) my parents called 911 because my sister was choking and they couldn't get her to breathe again (she swallowed one of my Strawberry Shortcake dolls), but when they told the operator that the choking victim was a baby the 911 operator completely flipped out. She started hysterically crying and couldn't even manage to get the ambulance to come. :wtf: To this day I remember my mom yelling at the operator and telling her to calm down and help us! Luckily, my father slapped my sister on the back and that dislodged the toy, if we had left it up to the operator, my sister would more than likely be dead.

Wow!! These are some really intense stories!!

Mine is a lot lighter:

In the office you always have to dial 9+number. So one day I was working
from home and out of habit, picked up the phone and dialed 9+1+oops, so I tried again, 9+1+darn it. I hung up. Paused. Then dialed the number, without the 9.

Within 5 minutes I had two police officers knocking on my door to see if I was ok. :sweatdrop:

Since my Rottweiler answered the door with me, they laughed and said. :yes: thye'd trust her to watch over me. :supacool:

Very cool

I've called when I've seen car accidents and I also called about a month ago when someone backing out of a driveway hit my car. My infant son was in the back and became hysterical. I was terrified that he was hurt but thankfully it was just the jolt of the impact that scared him.

Yup a couple of times...

one time a lady left her two dogs in her truck when she went grocery shopping (keep in mind this was in the summer and I live in Arizona!! and it is totally against the law to do that to an animal!)

The second time was when my SO and I were driving on the freeway...there were two chow dogs in the road...one had already been hit...the other one wouldn't leave the hurt one's side. I called 911 to get help for them:sad:

Yup when I got mugged by a purse snatcher in 2002. I was walking home from the train after school and a block from my house i hear running behind me and my bag pulled. Took me a moment to realize what was happening. He looked like a junkie i tried fighting him off but he kept pulling my school bag and when he ran i ran after him but he was gone. as he was running he was taking out everything from my bag and only took my wallet. so since my cell was thrown i was able to call the cops and they came. never found the bastard damn junkie! :cursing:

I have twice-

The first time when I was 6- my mum and dad were in bed so I thought I would, give it a go to see what they said- little did i know that they stayed on the line when you hang up so I think I told them I had the wrong number.

Second time was when my mum dies a couple of years ago- The lady on the other end was so good and telling me what to do, i on the other hand was useless and wailing like a dog- im NOT a good person to have around in an emergency- I go all to pot!!!

I've not dialed it myself, but I was around when my Dad called them a couple of years ago, although over here the number is 999. My brother suffers major migranes, and whilst he was being sick something lodged in his throat and he stopped breathing for about a minute - scariest day of my life! My Mum managed to get him breathing again whilst Dad was on the phone, but the ambulance still came to check he was ok.

It wasnt exactly 911, I was in Australia so it was 000 (the equal to 911 in the US). I was at a friend's house one day and one of my friends used drugs alone by herself in the bedroom while the rest of us were watching tv. We were calling her name coz there was something funny that we wanted her to watch as well, but she didnt answer. My other friend checked up on her and she was lying on her bed. We pushed her around but she was very still, then we found the drugs next to her and we knew what happened. We called the ambulance right away. We didnt think of anything else, all we had in mind was how to save my friend! It was so nervewracking, I was soooo *****n' afraid. Thank god the ambulance came quickly, she was given a shot of narcade and was back/conscious right away. I hugged her sooo tight coz I was very close to her, I thought I was gonna loose her. It was an experince that I will never forget in my life. The paramedics were cool and everything, we were afraid that he'll tip us to the police or something, LOL..

Senzafine-- I am not sure, but I hope so. SO and I tried to get the chow that wasn't hit into his truck, but the poor thing was so frightened, he wouldn't come to us and we didn't want to startle him bc we were afraid he would run out into traffic.

We were in the far right lane, and vehicles were FLYING by us...I was afraid that we were going to be hit...NO ONE else would stop and help us, and the injured chow was laying with his head in our lane but the rest of his body in the next lane.

My SO tried to block him with his truck until help arrived, but drivers in the other lane next to us would not stop...so this poor dog kept getting hit over and over:sad: I finally told SO to move his truck so that one more car could come by and just put the poor thing out of his misery.

The whole time this was happening, I was on the phone with 911...I can only hope and pray that the officers were able to catch the dog who was not hit...I would honestly say that that was the worst day of my life and I still have nightmares about it:sad:

once when i was a kid i was trying to dial my grandmother's phone number, why did i think it started with a 9 i don't know, it was actually a 4. and how i got to 911 is beyond me but i remember it was just me and my sister in the house.

and a policeman came shortly after, luckily my dad was just behind :wlae:

Yes, I have called 911 before. On the first day of Hurricane Isabel an man slammed his car into the telephone pole directly in front of our house. ...I was put on hold. I hung up, tried again, and also called on my cell phone. It took about 3-5 minutes for somebody to finally pick up. My dad ran out to make sure the man was okay but he was dead on the scene.

Our road was shut down for hours (only way in for those who live on the water) and many had to walk the way home in the pouring down rain and wind. The power lines were down, and BGE had to come out ASAP to stabilize what was left of the power lines and to make a quick-fix for our power lines. We were one of the first in our area to have power back. The storm hadn't even really started and we already had power!

Here is a snippet of the article on marylandweather.com

The first storm-related death in Maryland was reported in Anne Arundel, where a man's car crashed into a telephone pole in Arnold about 4:30 p.m. The pole cracked into three pieces, one of which smashed through the car's windshield and instantly killed the driver.

Anne Arundel firefighters attributed the death on Shore Acres Road to driving rain and winds that forced the driver, whose identity was not released, to lose control of his car.

Yep!

Picture this if you may:

July, 1993

Hubby and I are home one afternoon with our brand spankin' new 1 week old baby. I had just finished nursing her, burped her and laid her in her bassinet when it LOOKED like all of a sudden she wasn't breathing!

I FREAKED OUT! I mean I SERIOUSLY LOST IT! BIG TIME!

Hubby grabs the phone and dials 911 frantically telling them that our baby has stopped breathing. While he's on the phone with them........

I grab the baby. BOLT down the 14 steps in my house. Fling open the front door. Look to the left. No neighbor home. Look to the right. No neighbor home. Run across the street to my other neighbor's house like a complete looney-toon with this new baby in my arms. SCREAMING LIKE A MANIAC!

I BREAK INTO THE WOMAN'S HOUSE! I swear. I just opened her front door right up and ran in screaming, "My baby! My baby's not breathing!". She's in her living room changing her son's diaper on the floor and nearly has a STROKE because I broke into her house.

When she gets her head together and realizes what I am saying to her she tells me to go to her kitchen, find the phone and dial 911.

I run to the kitchen (still holding the baby). CANT FIND THE PHONE because her kitchen was a COMPLETE WRECK! I start yelling at this poor woman asking her, "WHY IS YOUR KITCHEN SUCH A MESS?!?! THIS IS DISGUSTING! I CAN'T FIND THE PHONE!!!".

She runs in to find the phone while at the same time I look out the window and see my husband across the street come flying out of OUR house and begin running up the street towards a main road with the phone in his hand FRANTICALLY LOOKING FOR ME AND THE BABY! 911 had been trying to get us to assist the baby until they got there but he had to tell them that he didn't know where we were because I had run out of the house like a mad woman with the baby and he couldn't find us.

Ambulance shows up within 5 minutes. Checks the baby over. She was fine. She hadn't stopped breathing at all. I was a new mother who completely over-reacted to absolutely nothing.

Oh yeah. If this isn't funny enough, did I mention that I was wearing a COMPLETELY SEE THRU GOWN WITH NOTHING ON UNDERNEATH? YEAH. I'M TALKING YOU COULD SEE EVERYTHING. AND THEY DID. ALL OF THEM.

AND.....we had JUST bought our new house and were BRAND NEW to the neighborhood. Hadn't met any of the neighbor's yet. What a way introduce myself.... I was MORTIFIED! We all laughed about it later.

And yes. I would do it all over again in a second if I thought there was something wrong with my baby!

We've laughed and laughed at this story for 13 years!