Ever change bags and feel like you're 'cheating'? :D

catsoup

Flunked Bag Rehab
O.G.
Jul 9, 2009
I have an MBMJ Faridah that I carry most every day. It's a bit heavy, so I keep trying to switch it out with a Longchamp or something lighter. Then I see the Faridah just kinda laying there empty, and it bums me out a bit. :smile: Inevitably I'm back with the Faridah in a day or two!

FWIW, Miss Faridah and I have a bit of history. I bought it in 2008. Loved it, but felt bad about the cost (was a newlywed) and returned it. Regretted it big time, but then the bag was discontinued. Figured I was outta luck. In 2013, I found a new w/ tags one on eBay for less than half the original price! Never letting go of it, since I got a second chance.

I figured y'all would understand. :smile:

Lol, yup I tend to feel that way when I first switch out from a new bag to an old one, like "why the heck am I wanting to switch bags already?" Because it usually takes a week before that happens. So in my case, I feel like I'm cheating on or unappreciative of the new bag.

I totally understand. I have my HG bag, an RK Micro Boxer from my SO, but I switch between that and an MK Mini Hamilton in Pearl Grey. I absolutely love my Boxer and thought it would cull my purse addiction. It's gorgeous, the right size, so smooth, and very convenient, yet I can't seem to resist the adorableness of the Hamilton in that beautiful shade of grey. I realize each have their place in my wardrobe, but I can't help but feel bad when I don't carry the Boxer.

It's an inanimate piece of material. Nothing more, nothing less. I think your 'feeling' comes from possibly having cheated yourself, because you know what you paid, any maybe could have put that $ elsewhere. -or- you know that realistically you can't carry more than one bag at a time, and realize that there will always be one in the closet, no matter how you do it.

It is unfortunate that we can't carry all our bags at once. :smile:

Perhaps you need to stick to one bag to alleviate these feelings of 'having cheated'. I know many ladies here have a one-bag-in/one-bag-out rule that seems to work for them.

If you've ever 'cheated' on a person you love, then you know the feeling is really not the same. ;)

Yup. There's a similarity between the way I feel about my purses and the way I used to feel about my dolls so long ago. Each one has a name, since the manufacturer sells'em that way, and a purs-onality... ooof! I realized it last fall when I lined up my Fall/Winter group of bags for a picture. If I squinted hard I almost saw ...... OK, WV. Snap out of it!

Yup. There's a similarity between the way I feel about my purses and the way I used to feel about my dolls so long ago. Each one has a name, since the manufacturer sells'em that way, and a purs-onality... ooof! I realized it last fall when I lined up my Fall/Winter group of bags for a picture. If I squinted hard I almost saw ...... OK, WV. Snap out of it!

I completely relate to this 100% except that for me it was stuffed animals as a kid :smile:

No. I change my bags daily according to my outfit. I have many brands and only buy styles of handbags that I like, not because they are a certain manufacturer.

Diane

I feel like I'm "cheating" all the time! Coach is my first love and in my opinion, one of the best companies around (great styles, beautiful quality leather, lovely colors), and yet I've also branched out to other designers. I know I'll always go back to Coach, though. :smile: I try to tell myself that I'm lucky to have so many beautiful bags that I love and choose from, and that I WILL wear them all eventually. :smile:

I currently have a huge collection of older Rebecca Minkoff bags which were of wonderful quality (I was late in the RM game and has only collected since about a year ago). Anyway, now that I've thought about it, every time I change into a different designer's bag I feel like I'm cheating a little bit. I'm trying to think why, and I think maybe it's because I feel that I need to justify my collection.