Jimmy Choo Even the Bums "Appreciate" the Choo

jello_1955

O.G.
Jun 24, 2006
Ok, I'm probably not being politically correct by using the word bum....

Anyway, I live in SF part time and for those you of that live or visit here, you know we have our share of panhandlers.

Yesterday I walked to Hayes St. with my khaki Ramona and passed several guys in need of some serious bathing. One of them asks me, "Hey, can you help me out?" I try to be polite and say, "sorry, not today". As I walk away, he yells out, very sarcastically "hey nice bag".

I'm sure he was trying to make a point and I almost felt guilty enough to hand him a buck, but then again I had to laugh. Who would have thought a panhandler would know about a nice bag...

Ok, I'm probably not being politically correct by using the word bum....

Anyway, I live in SF part time and for those you of that live or visit here, you know we have our share of panhandlers.

Yesterday I walked to Hayes St. with my khaki Ramona and passed several guys in need of some serious bathing. One of them asks me, "Hey, can you help me out?" I try to be polite and say, "sorry, not today". As I walk away, he yells out, very sarcastically "hey nice bag".

I'm sure he was trying to make a point and I almost felt guilty enough to hand him a buck, but then again I had to laugh. Who would have thought a panhandler would know about a nice bag...

Maybe he was a dotcommer who lost everything in the late 90s crash and burn of the dotcoms.

When we were walking in the Fisherman's Wharf area there was an older panhandler crouching down near a light pole with a huge bushy tree branch. When young girls walked by, he would jump up, wave the branch and yell. It scared the bejesus out of them.

Seriously though, you are right there are a lot, as I've just come back from a visit to SF. However I think we have more here in Seattle per capita. And they are crazier, here too.

Maybe he was a dotcommer who lost everything in the late 90s crash and burn of the dotcoms.

When we were walking in the Fisherman's Wharf area there was an older panhandler crouching down near a light pole with a huge bushy tree branch. When young girls walked by, he would jump up, wave the branch and yell. It scared the bejesus out of them.

Seriously though, you are right there are a lot, as I've just come back from a visit to SF. However I think we have more here in Seattle per capita. And they are crazier, here too.

I was in Seattle recently and surprised how clean it was. The panhandlers seems to stay in certain areas-- in SF they are practically everywhere. I love SF and the general liberal-ness of the City but when they allow public urination, something has to go (no pun intended).

I was in Seattle recently and surprised how clean it was. The panhandlers seems to stay in certain areas-- in SF they are practically everywhere. I love SF and the general liberal-ness of the City but when they allow public urination, something has to go (no pun intended).

Get out!?! Public urination is allowed? I did see a lot of evidence of it in SF, now that you mention that. :hrmm:

It was a great city to visit. The hills are amazing. :yes:

I did not see a lot of designer purses on the gals. Perhaps I was not out at the right time. :shrugs:

I have never seen anyone urinate in public in SF, but I don't live there. There was an episode on Sexy and the City where a guy peed in front of Carrie, tho. I don't think it is allowed anywhere in the US, I just think some guys do it and get away with it.:yucky:

I saw a lot of fake bags being sold down by the wharf. It amazes me that they can sell fake Prada, D&G ect.. in a store. I didn't see any Choos, tho thank goodness!

Get out!?! Public urination is allowed? I did see a lot of evidence of it in SF, now that you mention that. :hrmm:

It was a great city to visit. The hills are amazing. :yes:

I did not see a lot of designer purses on the gals. Perhaps I was not out at the right time. :shrugs:

Let's put it this way, they enacted a law in 2002 but they don't really enforce it. Here's part of a newspaper article that gives you some background:

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted to potty train the public Monday with a ban on answering nature's call in public, in response to growing complaints about unpleasant sights and smells on city sidewalks.

The board's unanimous vote came as a surprise after months of rancor. Even the most liberal supervisors went along with the ban on public urination and defecation, despite lobbying by homeless advocates and calls for more public toilets.

Violators could be fined $50 to $500.

"(A law) demonstrates we live in a civilized society," said Supervisor Tony Hall, who wrote the proposal in January when he discovered that San Francisco had no such ban.

Hall hopes his law answers the complaints flooding in to police, public works crews and hoteliers from residents and tourists shocked by certain unsavory street scenes.

He tried to convince the board and his critics Monday that he isn't going after the city's large homeless population, but young, drunken barhoppers. In fact, he said, many homeless people like his idea.

But that would be news to several of the homeless milling about Fifth and Market streets.

Bill Mullins, who has been living on the street for two years, said "When you gotta go, you gotta go, man."

He said the ban sounds unfair, and he hopes it will be reversed. Sitting near the Powell Street cable car turnaround, about 50 yards from a coin- operated JCDecaux public toilet, Mullins said, "It's really hard to find a bathroom. I pee in trash cans."

Another man, who was selling Street Sheet newspapers written by and about the homeless, said the law will only punish them.

"We can't walk into restaurants like you can and ask to use the bathroom," said the man, who asked not to be named. Looking at the nearby JCDecaux rest room, which had toilet paper streaming out the door, he said, "Those are for junkies."

San Francisco has 25 JCDecaux toilets open 24 hours a day and about 120 toilets in public parks open at inconsistent hours and days.

The board will take a second vote on the proposed law next Monday and send it to Mayor Willie Brown to sign. It would go into effect 30 days later if the mayor signs it into law.

The board made an exemption for people with a "verified medical condition." The vague phrase could make a cop's job tricky, said police spokesman Dewayne Tully.

According to Dr. Rajiv Bhatia with the Public Health Department, a variety of medical conditions can affect a person's continence, from food poisoning to drug addiction and withdrawal.

"Could this get stretched to the point that someone who is quite able is coming under some protection under 'medical condition?' " Supervisor Mark Leno asked before voting for the law. Hall said he'd leave the interpretation to police discretion.

And actually this is nothing compared to what goes on at the Folsom Street Fair. I could tell you stories that would pop your eyes right out of your head.

:yucky:ONLY:yucky: IN :yucky:CALIFORNIA!:yucky:

:yucky:What Will Arnie allow next?:yucky:

But in all seriousness SF has a huge problem, and I can't see any quick fix.
You can't throw them all in Jail since the Jails are allready over crowded.
And Fining the Homeless?
Yeah your going to get a lot of results there!
Let's face it it's a bad situation with no good fix!
I don't envy the Mayor!

Matt:angel::angel:

Well I was on the Stockton 30 on Saturday leaving Union Square and someone had urinated right on the bus and it just reaked and I couldn't get off fast enough. The driver stopped in front of Walgreens in Chinatown to buy Lysol.

As for designer bags - I only see them being carried when I go in Barneys.

Well I was on the Stockton 30 on Saturday leaving Union Square and someone had urinated right on the bus and it just reaked and I couldn't get off fast enough. The driver stopped in front of Walgreens in Chinatown to buy Lysol.

I see a lot of LV, Gucci and Chanel but have yet to see another Jimmy on the street.

Lovely :yucky: