Europe in October!

shoppergrl

O.G.
Oct 18, 2007
My bf and I are going to France and Germany in October (my first time! I'm so excited!!)... and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what to wear? I read that it'll be around 65... does that sound right? For our trip to England last year I brought boots, tennis shoes, two pairs of jeans and a couple long-sleeved shirts... and I ended up being WAY too hot! (Of course, that was the end of June! But everyone was telling me it was going to be cold)

This time around, we're not meeting any family, so it's going to a just-the-two-of-us, romance filled trip! :graucho: We're also staying for 2 weeks as opposed to 1. I was thinking I'd pack one nice dress and heels, 2 pairs of jeans, uggs (will I be laughed at in Paris? :P), cardigan, sweater, long-sleeved shirts... Not sure if I should pack the rain jacket.

Anyway, any tips on what to bring for the weather (or to fit in with the fashion scene ;)) would be much appreciated!

I'd bring a lot more dresses! When I went to Europe with the bf (although this was June), all I wore were dresses. Maybe bring some casual dresses that you can wear with tights/boots/jackets? I would go with a trench coat instead of a rain jacket, because then you can wear it rain or shine!

We are taking our leave in Germany/France in late Oct/Nov.
Jason was stationed there for four years, and I've been there before, so this is what I am bringing:

SWORD leather jacket
fashion trench in fuchsia
5 pair of jeans (2 pair of Dojos, 1 pair of Citizens bootcut, 2 pair of el cheapo American Eagle Artist Flares for rainy days)
1 pair of cropped 7FAM Dojos
3 pair heels
3 pair ballet flats
6 tank tops and 6 different cardigans in various colors from purple, to cream, to black
3 ruffly blouses

The climate in Germany is similar to that of Oregon, which is where I live. In Oct/Nov it starts cooling off and is definitely Fall moving into Winter. There could be some rainy days, and it usually won't be hot/warm.

girliceclimber - thanks for the input! :smile:

Candace - thank you!! that's really helpful. Is the climate in northern Germany different from the south? We're going to be in Paris for 5 days, and then 10 days traveling all around Germany on the train.

I have always found people in Europe wear alot of jeans .
Sneakers are a no no !
Weather will be cool but not too cool .
Where is Germany are you going ?

Anyways you will have a blast !!

I hope you have fun, I think it's neat we are basically taking the same trip :biggrin: Except we are not going to be as whirlwind since we've both been to Germany before. We're going to hang out in some of the smaller villages with our friends that live there, and near Bamberg...which is where he was stationed. It's near Nuremberg.

I think you could also post this in the Bon Voyage section if you need more replies, but October will be chillier, so if you want to wear dresses, you're going to be wearing them with tights. Don't wear Uggs in Paris (or sneakers, although Converse are fine). For walking around during the day, I'd go for jeans and ballerinas. The key is to layer your clothes. Bring cardigans, tees, a trench coat or leather jacket and perhaps a blazer.

The temperature in Germany will vary. The North isn't necessarily colder - Munich can be absolutely freezing depending on where the cold weather front is. Munich and Berlin will have the most sights and best shopping. I'm not too fond of Duesseldorf and Wiesbaden to be honest. France and Germany have similar weather so it will be easy enough to pack for both. Oh, if you like heels, these are usually worn when going out at night - women have this misconception that Parisian strut around in heels all day... they don't (it's ballerinas all the way). Your feet will thank you :smile:

It really depends where you are going.
The south of France will be mild even in late October, but not hot. Jeans, top, cardigan, blazer would do.
Mainland Europe is about to turn into winter at that time of the year. End of October might still be mild if you are lucky, but beginning of November could easily be unpleasant - cold with fog and rain. I would bring something warm. Jeans and late fall coats might be needed.
I used lots of "may" and "might" because it is different from year to year, but unless you are going to the south of France, don't expect mild weather.

[QUOTE=shoppergrl;11925965]My bf and I are going to France and Germany in October (my first time! I'm so excited!!)... and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what to wear? I read that it'll be around 65... does that sound right? For our trip to England last year I brought boots, tennis shoes, two pairs of jeans and a couple long-sleeved shirts... and I ended up being WAY too hot! (Of course, that was the end of June! But everyone was telling me it was going to be cold)

The weather in England in June is VERY variable. You were lucky last year with the warm weather. The funny thing about England, that during the summer you can expect anything - from heatwave to late fall weather.

Last edited:
It really depends where you are going.
The south of France will be mild even in late October, but not hot. Jeans, top, cardigan, blazer would do.
Mainland Europe is about to turn into winter at that time of the year. End of October might still be mild if you are lucky, but beginning of November could easily be unpleasant - cold with fog and rain. I would bring something warm. Jeans and late fall coats might be needed.
I used lots of "may" and "might" because it is different from year to year, but unless you are going to the south of France, don't expect mild weather.

We're sticking solely to Paris in France, and then traveling around Germany. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather will be mild, but I'll pack as if it won't be. ;)

I think you could also post this in the Bon Voyage section if you need more replies, but October will be chillier, so if you want to wear dresses, you're going to be wearing them with tights. Don't wear Uggs in Paris (or sneakers, although Converse are fine). For walking around during the day, I'd go for jeans and ballerinas. The key is to layer your clothes. Bring cardigans, tees, a trench coat or leather jacket and perhaps a blazer.

The temperature in Germany will vary. The North isn't necessarily colder - Munich can be absolutely freezing depending on where the cold weather front is. Munich and Berlin will have the most sights and best shopping. I'm not too fond of Duesseldorf and Wiesbaden to be honest. France and Germany have similar weather so it will be easy enough to pack for both. Oh, if you like heels, these are usually worn when going out at night - women have this misconception that Parisian strut around in heels all day... they don't (it's ballerinas all the way). Your feet will thank you :smile:

We're going to Wiesbaden because my mom grew up there, and I have some relatives that I've never met... Dusseldorf same kinda deal. But I'm still evaluating... we have so little time, so much to do!

I could never go sightseeing in heels... I try to be kind to my feet!!

My bf has already stated that he's wearing his Nikes and nothing will change that. Will we get kicked out of nice restaurants at night, or will the fact that he's British save him? :P I thought I'd sneak in a nice pair of shoes just in case...