Etsy vs. Ebay

alisaxlee

Alexa is Kinda Fancy
Sep 26, 2010
Hi, I was hoping someone with more experience could help me out.

I'm currently interested in a bag that a seller has on both eBay and Etsy. The seller has 2000+ 100% feedback on eBay. From what I understand, Etsy is way better for sellers because of fees. Do I have any protection on an Etsy purchase, though? I'd be willing to buy from the place that will be the better deal for the seller, but I have to make sure I'll be able to be protected, as it's a more expensive purchase.

I hope this makes sense and thanks for any advice.

Ebay has had much better protection until this month. It's a bit too early for me to say how well you're covered under paypal now, because the buyer protection has just kicked in there. I have had some bad experiences on Etsy, much more so than on Ebay, where sellers have just shrugged it off if items arrived damaged or late. Then again, others have been friendly and cooperative, but all that was pre-November.
I also find it harder to weed through their Etsy feedback, because you can't just click on the neutrals or negatives, you have to go through all to find out what they got negged for.
Did the seller ask you to purchase on Etsy to save them fees? Is it the same price on both?

^Technically yes, but on Ebay you also have Ebay support behind you and different ways of filing in case of problems. Just seems like on Ebay both sellers and buyers as well as Ebay have more experience in case of trouble, but then again, paypal will probably be fine.

Aren't you still covered by PP? Lots of tPFers were talking about the changes. May they apply to you off Evilbay?

http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...ion-program-off-ebay-transactions-629793.html

See, that's what I'm not sure about. And I'm not all that savvy, so I worry about screwing something up and then being SOL.

HesseFan (love your username/quotes, btw, he's one of my favorite authors!) to answer your question regarding pricing: It is BIN/Best offer on eBay, and the same price on Etsy. Am I allowed to link, or would that be bad?

I have had good experiences on both Etsy & Ebay, but this is going to be over 1k and I need to be sure of what I'm doing. The only reason I'm even considering it is that this seller's eBay feedback is so good.

Thank you both for the ideas.

What kind of high priced item is it that the seller has it on both ETSY and eBay? Can you link to it? There are lots people who sell quality vintage on ETSY, but there are a lot of counterfeit items on ETSY because they don't police for that kind of thing, and they don't remove counterfeit listings even when they're reported.

I think you should go with Evilbay just because it seems more safe than Etsy.

That's what I ended up deciding. Plus, it is simple (and recorded on eBay) to do a best offer.

What kind of high priced item is it that the seller has it on both ETSY and eBay? Can you link to it? There are lots people who sell quality vintage on ETSY, but there are a lot of counterfeit items on ETSY because they don't police for that kind of thing, and they don't remove counterfeit listings even when they're reported.

It is a brown suede Dior samourai 1947 (from 2007.) Technically, it shouldn't have been on Etsy because it's not handmade/supplies/vintage. But I guess the seller figured because the bag looks so vintage it might get a response on Etsy. I did have it authenticated on the Dior forum here and it was deemed real. I totally agree with how many fakes are on Etsy though. I think people think that the fact that it's vintage overrides the fact that it's counterfeit? Um, not so much, but I feel like that might be the rationale.

In any case, my best offer was accepted on eBay! :smile: I can't wait to get it. Thank you for the responses.

Oh, great that you got it! Hope you enjoy it.
I didn't even know Etsy had non-vintage things, as I only ever buy vintage or hand-made on there and it wouldn't occur to me to look for bags other than 50's ones. In that case, there might have been even more trouble in case you did run into a problem and they would have figured out the bag shouldn't have been on there in the first place.
Let us know how it works out and maybe a modelling pic? :smile: